PDA

View Full Version : Researching Occupations

Frelaco
19-Apr-06, 00:06
I am trying to research my ancestors occupations and I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me an idea of where I can find out a bit more about Caithness stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters covering the period 1700 - 1900. Thanks!

fred
19-Apr-06, 12:21
I am trying to research my ancestors occupations and I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me an idea of where I can find out a bit more about Caithness stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters covering the period 1700 - 1900. Thanks!

There isn't a lot about stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters because I don't think they were too much different from stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters anywhere else. Fishermen and farmers there is quite a lot about.

Try looking through the Statistical Accounts (http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp?action=public&) there may be something in one of them.

janette
19-Apr-06, 14:00
The late John Porter wrote a publication about the flagstone industry in Caithness. This may be of help to you.

Frelaco
19-Apr-06, 21:00
Janette and Fred - thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe you're right Fred and I should stick to farming. The Munro branch of my tree farmed at Houstry.
Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I get on!