PDA

View Full Version : St John's Pool latest

the_count
14-Nov-09, 21:52
Went down there today and it looks a mess lol. I can see more or less what they are trying to achieve for the birds next year with a lot of changes as far as the island layout is concerned and the added shingle beaches will certainly encourage the ground nesting plovers and terns. I'm not sure if the fence is to prevent otters or deer from entering but (as the fence still is not quite finished) two roe deer were having a picnic on top of the far bank inside the fence (give em an inch etc etc). I would assume that the fence was for otter protection for the birds next spring. I do hope they are going to do something with the track down to the hide as the fence work has turned it into a veritable quagmire, definitely need wellies to go down to the hide at the moment, although i think the work at the pool will keep the majority of the birds away :( all that was there today were a lonely pair of moorhen and a kestral hovering looking for a meal oh and the log book is either in safe keeping for the winter or it has been taken. Will have to try and get down there a bit more often as the overwintering waterfowl will be moving in and i'm hoping to add a few notches on me spotters stick lol :lol:

nemosia
15-Nov-09, 16:09
Yes, lot of work going on at the pool just now. Hopefully the new fence will keep the otters out next year. The path will be remade, there will be a phragmites bed at the N end of the pool and a new hide nearer the car park. Should be good.

catherine nicol
29-Dec-09, 22:07
Julian has worked wonders on that piece of land. I was at an event where he provided a slide show of photos showing just what he has all done to establish the loch and hide from bare open ground.

Fantastic dedication and financial committment Julian has undertaken.

I had no idea just what Julian had to go through to establish this quiet retreat/breeding ground for the birds he has every year.

Keep up the good work Julian and hope that your human visitors appreciate all the hard work as much as the feathered visitors do.

the_count
20-Feb-10, 14:09
Went up to St John's again last weekend and what a difference. All the fencing (including a gate) appears to be completed and a pathway up to where the hide will be moved to have all been put in. Should look great when the work is completed and the view over the pond looks to be a better angle. Time will tell i guess but hope everything is finished in time for this years breeding:D

the_count
20-Feb-10, 14:13
oh yeah a quick addition to the above posting .... if anyone knows when the hide is being moved could they add that to this thread :lol: