PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to all

coppertop 1958
12-Nov-09, 15:10
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL .... WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.��

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's�always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

BINBOB
12-Nov-09, 15:37

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's�always ruled the playground at school.

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Ahh...They were the days...and I think we are better for it,instead of the generation of computer,molly coddled kids we have now.Sadly things do change.........some for the better ....some not.:D

rob1
12-Nov-09, 16:25
Awww! I feel quite dissapointed that I am not 10 years older!

hell raizer
12-Nov-09, 17:11
yes they were happy days, hours spent up the river, over at the rock pools looking for whelks and thurso east looking for groatie buckies.........pure bliss :)

John Baikie
12-Nov-09, 17:45
Excellent post!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
12-Nov-09, 17:52
Congratulations to ye coppertop 1958.Brilliant thread:)

A teacher gave me a ruler across the knuckles for going into the wummins garden next door to the school.

Funniest thing was that the six of us,who had supposed to have done the garden vandalism,were taken in to an office and told not to be disrespectful of other peoples property.This happened a week after the so called event.The six of us got the ruler,never got the belt because it wasn't a "serious crime".

The irony is that I was off school during the incident with tonsilitis.They had mistaken me with my older brother.

I had a great privilage about 10 years later to tell the teacher this very story.She said she couldn't remember as she had given the ruler and belt to so many.

I never liked her anyway,so I told her to CENSORED.

Still think Scottish Football is suffering because small confined spaces,where skill is developed.Street Football.Is now played on a console instead of the real feet.I am a Guitar Hero,give me a real guitar and I'm a turkey.:lol::lol:

teenybash
12-Nov-09, 18:08
Ah yes...I remember it well...............sad though that kids of today are missing out on so much...............

poppett
12-Nov-09, 18:51
How true of life growing up in the 1950`s and 60`s.

I am confused at some of the antics today.

Whilst I am fully aware there are some truly awful people out there who would harm kids given the opportunity I do not for the life of me understand why children can not go to primary school without being accompanied by an adult, yet after school they are allowed to the play parks alone.

I am so glad I grew up when I did.

smee
12-Nov-09, 18:52
cuddlepop 1958, you had bangers to blow up frogs.....wow that was posh, we had to just do with a straw stolen from art class.

whaligoechiel
12-Nov-09, 19:40
gosh smee (surprise surprise)
I did that to
now if you even thought about it the one's that want to change how we lived in Caithness would have you crucified
A very good thread

canuck
12-Nov-09, 20:09
As a child of the 50's I am saddened when I remember my friends who didn't make it through because of the lethal hazards which surrounded us. For them I shed a tear.

I am most thankful for the regulations which came into affect over the years to protect my children, their friends and their children.

ciderally
12-Nov-09, 22:08
brill, brill,brill so very true, my lord how did we survive...but boy dident we have fun eh....

northener
12-Nov-09, 22:23
Helping with the sheep dipping, exploring old coal shafts, spending long days at the drystane dyking or fencing with the local hill farmers, disappearing at dawn for a days fishing and walking over the moors - only returning well after dark, being let out with .410 shotguns 'providing we behaved ourselves':eek:, beating on the moors during grouse season for £12 a day (we thought we were stupendously rich!) and all the Party 7 you could drink at lunchtime:Razz, falling out of countless trees, experimenting with weedkiller based explosives...and always, always, on the lookout to earn a few extra bob.

Kids terday? Pah!

coppertop 1958
13-Nov-09, 00:10
In the 1960’s 70s one particular field which the farmer always seemed to use for his potatoes;

The first job was to clear the field of haulms and these were made into a nice bonfire – the farmer wanted to eradicate any diseases which may be in the partly rotten stalks. Each picker had to take his own bucket.

The tractor had a power take off and this was fitted with a disc which had curved tines and with this rotating it was lowered into the mound where the potatoes had been ‘happed up’ as we used to say. With the disc rotating it was lowered into the ground and the tractor driven down the row and the potatoes were scooped out of the ground; the pickers then filled their buckets, which were emptied into sacks.and you had fun with the rotten Taties..

At the end of the day, each bucket was filled with good caithness Taties for the workers to take home. At the end of the week, the pay for the workers was usually about 10 shillings and 6 pence.and when you got your money ...was i rich ...10 shillings was a lot 50p to you youngers ones

Bobinovich
13-Nov-09, 01:57
...I do not for the life of me understand why children can not go to primary school without being accompanied by an adult...

Hecks that's just to make sure they arrive before the bell goes! When going to school my kids have two speeds - molasses & reverse, so I'm just ensuring they get in the gate on time lol.

I walk them to school and they make their own way home - funny how walking home uphill can be accomplished faster than walking to school downhill :D

Phill
13-Nov-09, 10:49
We 'ad a Playstation when we woz growin up, it was called outside!

Ahh, it was all harmless fun. Shooting each other with pellet guns, clambering across derelict buildings with the roofs falling in. Playing down the locks where if you fell in you'd be sucked through the sluice gates before anyone could shout " man ov.....oh ".

When a dare was a dare and a double dare made James Bond & Jason Bourne look like a pair of girly pansies.

Spending all day trying to get out of skule and then in the evenin' climbing over the railings to get back in, and getting impaled on those very railings, aahhhh the good ole days.

Performing Evil Kneivil like stunts on a pushbike down the thick end of the slag heaps.
It was a dare you see, halfway through the descent I noticed my bike was going faster than I as it passed me, only I still had hold of the handle bars. That was when the panic set in.........my dad will kill me for breaking me bike!

northener
13-Nov-09, 11:00
We 'ad a Playstation when we woz growin up, it was called outside!

Ahh, it was all harmless fun. Shooting each other with pellet guns, clambering across derelict buildings with the roofs falling in. Playing down the locks where if you fell in you'd be sucked through the sluice gates before anyone could shout " man ov.....oh ".

When a dare was a dare and a double dare made James Bond & Jason Bourne look like a pair of girly pansies.

Spending all day trying to get out of skule and then in the evenin' climbing over the railings to get back in, and getting impaled on those very railings, aahhhh the good ole days.

Performing Evil Kneivil like stunts on a pushbike down the thick end of the slag heaps.
It was a dare you see, halfway through the descent I noticed my bike was going faster than I as it passed me, only I still had hold of the handle bars. That was when the panic set in.........my dad will kill me for breaking me bike!

Bang on, Philll.

Plus home-made bows and arrows with pointy lethal tips...resulting in a trip to hospital for one of my mates (JB - age 11) with an arrow firmly embedded in his thigh after he 'got in the way'...ahem...( It was a fantastic shot, we all agreed at the time - you could hear the arrow 'thud' as it went in - just like in the western movies).
Only to find himself in the next bed to my 6 year old brother who had fallen out of a tree a couple of hours earlier.[lol]

We were told by collective Maters and Paters (in slightly disinterested tones) to 'be more careful' and JB's mother told him to "stop being so bloody stupid and keep out of the way next time".

Christ, there'd be an official inquest now, I'm sure.:Razz

Phill
13-Nov-09, 11:52
"stop being so bloody stupid and keep out of the way next time"

That very phrase along with "I told you so" and "Will you ever learn" was the entire Health & Safety Legislation that worked for generations.

I remember when the local power station first got all "PC" and went giddy by putting up safety fences to stop us from getting into our "playground", we soon sorted that little mess out. Used part of the fence to bridge a drainage channel, if you went over that on yer bike you were a proper hero.

You knew you'd hit top trumps when A&E were impressed at just how you managed to injure yourself this time!

3 months in hospital didn't do me any harm! :confused

doyle
13-Nov-09, 16:17
Brilliant post coppertop1958!

hasterhall
13-Nov-09, 18:08

no video/dvd films,

MERIT

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

spoken in a monty phython voice:
"And you try telling the youth of today that,and they won't believe you!
no they won't!"[lol]

brillant thread[lol]

youoldduffer
13-Nov-09, 19:29
Excellent post, brought back fun memories

You forgot running the waves along the Pier/lighthouse/dry dock and breakwater, going home soaked cause you never ran fast enough.
Dodgey Rope Swings along the riverside next to the fountain or behind the old milkboard, swinging out only to see all your mates getting ready to jump on when you got close enough.
Climing underneath the bridge along the riverside.
Swiming in the sea whether you meant to or not.

mrs_inkstack
13-Nov-09, 19:36
cuddlepop 1958, you had bangers to blow up frogs.....wow that was posh, we had to just do with a straw stolen from art class.

Bangers to blow up frogs ???? !!!! That's a bit posh. The boys in my street used to blow up skorries with alka seltzers ! :(

reddevil
13-Nov-09, 19:42
this is so unreal,i was at my sisters funeral today,and it was a humanist telling her story,my sister was a 50s child and the things she got up to was fantastic,the fun and games,she was never in,i laugh when she was telling us when the council cut the local grass patch,all the kids came running out for a grass fight,grass everywhere,throwing it up jumpers,down trousers,and a whole lot of other funny stuff,i would have loved to have being born a wee bit earlier,i think thats when kids where really kids,not small adults,great post.

unicorn
13-Nov-09, 19:46
Ah those were the days, you hurt yourself, got patched up then got a slap in the loog for bein so stupid...........[lol]

Serenity
13-Nov-09, 20:39
I've seen this doing the rounds on a few e-mails/forums. But I am an 80s child and think 99% of the stuff applies to my childhood as well.
And we are the better for it.
Of course there is no denying it makes more sense for children to be made to wear seatbelts etc. but it has all gone too far the other direction now.

bobandag16
13-Nov-09, 21:06

no video/dvd films,

MERIT

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!
born 1920 now learning todays way for youngsters. down to money. we had none had to get it ourselves. good topic.

DOCTOR
13-Nov-09, 21:32
born 1920 now learning todays way for youngsters.

You are never too old to learn new tricks ;)

Vistravi
13-Nov-09, 21:39
Bang on, Philll.

Plus home-made bows and arrows with pointy lethal tips...resulting in a trip to hospital for one of my mates (JB - age 11) with an arrow firmly embedded in his thigh after he 'got in the way'...ahem...( It was a fantastic shot, we all agreed at the time - you could hear the arrow 'thud' as it went in - just like in the western movies).
Only to find himself in the next bed to my 6 year old brother who had fallen out of a tree a couple of hours earlier.

We were told by collective Maters and Paters (in slightly disinterested tones) to 'be more careful' and JB's mother told him to "stop being so bloody stupid and keep out of the way next time".

Christ, there'd be an official inquest now, I'm sure.

:lol: your post has cracked me up!

I love the way you've said it was an accident and he just got in the way only to say it was a good shot. Not an accident at all like i thought! [lol]

I'm an 80s child but i do think that we had more imagination as children. Now there are more toys and some children just want a toy that makes a noise. I personally thought those kind of toys were limited as a child and still do now. Yes kids have the imangination but is as big as it could be? I don't think it is. As an example when we take the kids outside they want to play with the toys but there is always one child that will look as if she's not doing anything but running around but she is always playing an imangitive game. I can remember being like her as a child and i have been told by my younger sister that i made the games we played as children more fun as i always had more ideas.

Whatever happened to hours spent playing in cardboard boxes? I always had loads of fun pretending they were a house or a car. My partner once made a house with a extension lead running to it for his tv he put in it, out of a huge box his dad had lying about. Good times. :D

northener
13-Nov-09, 21:44
....Whatever happened to hours spent playing in cardboard boxes? I always had loads of fun pretending they were a house or a car. My partner once made a house with a extension lead running to it for his tv he put in it, out of a huge box his dad had lying about. Good times. :D

Most middle aged men still play with cardboard boxes, it's just that they are then called 'sheds'.

I've got a lovely cardboard box to play in, me. 12'x10':Razz

poppett
13-Nov-09, 22:27
Bobandag16 will recall in 1959 before we moved to Caithness the weekly shop would arrive in a cardboard box. Give me a wooden spoon, a pot or a pan lid and the aforementioned box and I was in my glory playing until the next box arrived the following Friday.

oldmarine
14-Nov-09, 13:48

no video/dvd films,

MERIT

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

A good post, but you didn't mention the 1920s. I was born in 1925. However, I have to agree with the comments listed above.