PDA

View Full Version : A wee bit 'o snow

Fluff
29-Jan-04, 16:59
i am in reading right now on a wee holiday, so my m8 took me into london yesterday. we decided to go back home at around 5pm and it was snowling lightly(well, heavy to them) we never got onto our train until 8pm!!!
everything almost seems to stop down here when there is a tiny bit of snow. hehe my m8 was complaining about it being cold, ha! when he was cold i was sweating!!!!! tut tut, they have NO idea!!! lol :p [lol]

jjc
29-Jan-04, 17:36
Tell me about it... took me almost an hour to go a dozen miles down the M4 yesterday... every time it snows it's the same - a drop of white and they suddenly forget everything they ever learned about driving.

Either they crawl down the m-way at 2mph, faces pressed against the windscreen and lights on high-beam (complete with foglights) just to be sure that they can see as little as possible, or they roar down the fast-lane at the usual 90mph, so close to the car in front that they could practically choke on the exhaust. [disgust]

And the number of them who forget that spinning the steering wheel wildly whilst driving on snow might not be too good for traction is just mental!!! :eek:

Ah well, I'm off to park outside the train-station now... nothing as funny as watching people running for their train in the snow :lol:

Steve and Shaz
29-Jan-04, 17:47
Ah well, I'm off to park outside the train-station now... nothing as funny as watching people running for their train in the snow :lol:

Well here in Sunny Dover you'd even be denied that little fun - according to this mornings news the trains were frozen to the conducter rail - and people ask why we're moving north !!!!! :lol: :lol:

Kenn
29-Jan-04, 23:28
No bread no milk the supermarket shelves were plundered over the weekend here, why?
We had a few snow showers that didn't settle,a slight wind chill ,public transport was working, roads were gritted..sheesh if there was ever a proper snowfall I dread to tthink what would happen to the average englishman [lol]

P.S.Last night I had a terrible nightmare I drempt I was born an englishman [mad]

jjc
29-Jan-04, 23:49
P.S.Last night I had a terrible nightmare I drempt I was born an englishman [mad]

Emmm... I was born an Englishman. Care to elaborate on why you think my life is a nightmare??? :mad: [disgust]

... and no, I'm not kidding. A light-hearted comment about people's inability to cope with a dusting of snow is one thing, but I'm sick to the back teeth of this narrow-minded, anti-English claptrap.

What did I ever do to you???

Replace the word English with 'Jew' or 'Black' in your sentence and tell me if you still feel it is acceptable?

Fluff
30-Jan-04, 00:10
umm, i am sorry JJC if i offended you.
All i was mearly saying was that this is my first time in england when it has been snowing and that i was amazed at how much it affected everything so badly.
i would never mean to hurt or offend anyone in anyway, and yoo hope you accept my sincere apolgies? :confused

kwbrown111
30-Jan-04, 00:14
c'mon everybody calm down. what we had was only a % to what we used to have(i,m only talking about 10-15 years ago). are we producing wimps nowadays?

jjc
30-Jan-04, 00:21
umm, i am sorry JJC if i offended you.
All i was mearly saying was that this is my first time in england when it has been snowing and that i was amazed at how much it affected everything so badly.
i would never mean to hurt or offend anyone in anyway, and yoo hope you accept my sincere apolgies?

Stainless,

It wasn't you it was LIZZ so please don’t apologise.

I share your bemusement at the way that people (that’s everybody, not just the English) who have lived all their lives in the warmer weather of 'down south' seem to fall to pieces whenever it snows.

The strangest thing is that it is the same every year… this time next year they’ll all have forgotten that driving in the snow really isn’t that difficult and we will have mass panic again at the mention of the white stuff... don't they realise that it's FUN???

Kenn
30-Jan-04, 02:26
My apologies if I caused any offence but I was just making a jest..I'm Kernewek/Cornish and anything east of Tamar is furrin parts..we also have certain matters that we would take umbrage about with The English, suffice it to say that we have as much indignation over the treatment that we recieved from Parliament when they finally recognised we existed,because they wanted china clay,tin and copper as a Highlander might still have about The Clearances.Other than that I have seen more snow on The Sutherland Mountains in June than causes a major upheaval here in England.

Caledonia
30-Jan-04, 04:59
Oh Come On!!!

PC gone crazy, pickin fights where there are none required.... I thought that was my job!

I would hate to have been born English.

I can't really see the problem with feeling that way.

I am very proud of my roots, but more likely I am just reflecting an attitude engendered by apparent cultural domination.

I would hate even more to have been born German, and a degree more to have been born of the US global domination machine. However, England is the big bully next door so the concept is focussed pretty acutely.

Big deal.

I guess if it wasn't retrospective I would be happy wherever I came from, but I am really happy to be from here.

Delving a little deeper into the history of the Highlands one might understand that it is we who could legitimately align ourselves with the world's oppressed, suffereing as we did at the hands of the English and those who colluded with them.... but that is SO long ago we ought to grow up.

Look, you want to go building a huge empire on the back of ruthless oppression you have got to expect a backlash.

Get used to it, and get used to the bleedin snow!

;)

jjc
30-Jan-04, 10:53
Caledonia/Lizz,

I was just making a jest […] suffice it to say that we have as much indignation over the treatment that we recieved from Parliament when they finally recognised we existed,because they wanted china clay,tin and copper as a Highlander might still have about The Clearances.

PC gone crazy, pickin fights where there are none required [...] Look, you want to go building a huge empire on the back of ruthless oppression you have got to expect a backlash.

Get used to it…

Sorry, but no.

To you this may seem like a harmless joke, but I just don’t see it that way. You may think yourself adult enough to distinguish between bigotry as a joke and when you ‘really mean it’, but the kids who learn from you aren’t. You are perpetuating the belief that all things English are bad.

To you this is based on old history and you don’t – at least I hope you don’t – blame me for the Highland Clearances or copper mining of centuries gone by. To the kid in the playground beating the stuffing out of their English classmate that distinction isn’t quite so clear.

I remember hearing “English <add expletive here>!” quite often when I was having seven shades beaten out of me at school.

Not once did a punch in the eye (or anywhere else for that matter) come with, “…and that’s for the Clearances perpetuated by your oppressive countrymen in their imperialist heyday!” :confused

Caledonia
30-Jan-04, 16:14
No, but they were thinking it.

jjc
30-Jan-04, 16:23
I take it back; you obviously do blame me for the Clearances...

I'd apologise, but I'm too busy fighting those damned Jacobites. :roll:

rich
30-Jan-04, 18:50
We had a major snow fall in Toronto last week and there were over 60 accidents of varying degrees of seriousness, nothing too bad fortunately.
It must be all these English Canadians!

golach
30-Jan-04, 21:24
Rich,
blame it on Tony Bloody Blair and George Dubbya Bush, its all their fault

[disgust] [mad]
Golach

Anonymous
31-Jan-04, 12:00
Geeee Dubbbya???

No way, its them Aye-raqis wi their weapons of mass snowfall. And we all thought it was mass destruction, mabee it will be, just very slowly, crumbling western society by forcing people to drive like colin mcrae in the swedish hillsides.

"right 5 into easy left, straight 100 over crest into caution traffic lights and 2 left, straight 150 into, caution 1 right, carpark!!!!!, right mum can you pick me back up at 3 o'clock?"

When your passenger starts to sound like Nicky Grist, its time get a taxi.....

The police have the wrong idea, they should just allow everyone to drive as fast as they like in the snow, that way, next year, all the muppets will be dead (or without cars) and the roads will be a much safer place. :roll: