PDA

View Full Version : Latheron Poorhouse

jameshudson
26-Oct-09, 16:07
In the 1920s there was a property attached to the Latheron Poorhouse called Benaschielt House. I suspect it was somewhere near the Crofts of Benachielt along the Causewaymire. Can anyone identify its location?

spittalhill
02-Nov-09, 13:01
It is located on the west side of the A9 half way between Crofts of Benachielt and the south end of Loch Rangag. The walls are still standing and you can see the location on the 1894 Ordnance Survey map.

jameshudson
02-Nov-09, 14:24
Thank you for your response. However I'm not clear whether you were referring to the location of the poorhouse itself or to the building called Benachielt House which is mentioned in the Poorhouse register. I'm looking at a map I believe to be 1894 Latheron, Sheet 110 and the poorhouse is clearly shown but the not this other building. Do you know of a more detailed map?

Any more info you have would be gratefully received. Thank you.

spittalhill
02-Nov-09, 23:11
I assumed from your original post that they were on the same site. There are two entries for the Poorhouse site on the Highland Environmental Record (www.her.highland.gov.uk) indicating two buildings there. From memory the building we knew as the poorhouse was the one nearest the main road.

Claw
03-Nov-09, 10:40
The poor house at Latheron is the large shed now used to house sheep on the right hand side on the road as you go South, it is still refered to as the poor house by the farmers/crofters around there Benachielt farm is in the left hand side of the road up a farm track just past the water reservoir

Claw
03-Nov-09, 10:53
The grid ref for the poor house is ND181 394

jameshudson
09-Nov-09, 11:54
Thanks for your helpful responses.

If anyone else has additional data on the Latheron Poorhouse or the property known as Benachielt House which was used by the poorhouse in the early 1920s I'd be glad to hear from you.

Dusty
10-Nov-09, 21:29
Have a look here.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.html (http://users.ox.ac.uk/%7Epeter/workhouse/index.html)

You can find the Latheron Poorhouse listed under Poorhouse locations.

Hope that this helps.