PDA

View Full Version : Contracts/Marriages

tigger2u
18-Oct-09, 20:34
Just a thought.....

Now that I have actually seen the areas that my family lived... how the hell did they meet up to arrange contracts of marriages etc WHat was to social life

if im right I have one marriage that was contracted between families from (Riesgill) Latheron & Thurso. now in 1826 that wasnt an easy distance to go a courting lol

domino
18-Oct-09, 22:08
If you look at the old OPR's you will see that couples were contracted to marry. If they broke the contract the offender would be fined. These contracts I believe were arranged by the church

domino
18-Oct-09, 22:09
The contracts were between individuals, not families

tigger2u
18-Oct-09, 22:16
If you look at the old OPR's you will see that couples were contracted to marry. If they broke the contract the offender would be fined. These contracts I believe were arranged by the church

I have a copy of the OPR but not alot of info on it.

domino
19-Oct-09, 15:16
Tigger, it would appear that the OPR content varied from Parish to Parish. If you can pm me I will send you a copy of an old form of contract from Canisbay

domino
19-Oct-09, 15:18
Although the families may seem quite a distance apart the two people may have been working in the same area.It is just a thought!!!

kimmie
19-Oct-09, 16:21
Dont know if this will help
But on one of the Birth certs that i have for one of my family, state the woman in Kinlochbervie and her partner is down as being in Thurso... It could be, like mine, that he worked in Thurso and was orginally from Latheron....or that she was in Thurso when he went there to work and met, then he went back home....either or.

Like i said though, it may be something totally different though.

scottishrootsbarb
20-Oct-09, 13:57
By the time of the 1820's we are dealing with a thriving herring industry and the men were fishermen. Additionally the women travelled to follow the fishing boats working to gut the fish. I know that many young women from Helmsdale traveled as far north as Wick for work, so this is also a possibility. We may find it hard to believe but people were actually more mobile in the past than we give them credit for. Walking long distances was part of their way of living and quite possibly why many of them lived long lives.