PDA

View Full Version : the lost Thurso Street

tigger2u
18-Oct-09, 19:43
:DHi all,

Sitting in the bar at Thurso at the moment and couldn't find a Duke Street today. Even some of the locals didn't know but they do think it was here but had it's name changed. So I just wonder if anyone knows of it.

I found part of my family at Duke Street Con in 1861...any ideas what the "Con" would mean ?

Thank you :D

nevergiveup
18-Oct-09, 21:53
Duke Street was just around the corner from Couper Street,just down from the paint shop that used to be a garage.
:Razz

tigger2u
18-Oct-09, 22:11
Duke Street was just around the corner from Couper Street,just down from the paint shop that used to be a garage.
:Razz

thank you, the barmaid here is glad she isnt going out her mind now lol[lol]

I Didn't get the chance to go to Duke Street Con and if im reading the info right it would be number 116. Can I ask, if anyone happens to go that way and has a camera handy could I have a pic pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I still have no idea what the "con" could mean or if its a type error.

Thanks for your help :)

nevergiveup
23-Oct-09, 21:38
Duke Street is no longer in existance ! Think the houses were demolished around 1958 when there was a lot of new building in the area.
The only family i remember residing there were the Macgregors.

kimmie
25-Oct-09, 17:06
Dad remembers the Duke street houses being demolished in 1958 ish...he left Thurso around that time to join the airforce. He also remembers a family living there but cant remember their name.

Angela
01-Nov-09, 22:42
I found part of my family at Duke Street Con in 1861...any ideas what the "Con" would mean ?

Thank you :D

If it appears at the top of a page in the census, it may just stand for Duke Street continued (from the previous page). :)

If it's not at the top of a page...I dunno! :confused

trinkie
02-Nov-09, 09:04
Yes, I agree with Angela 'con' means continued.

It is usually at the top of the page, but I have seen it at the bottom of the page too meaning the street they are listing is then continued.
It's so annoying when the actual family you are researching is on the two pages !

Good luck

bobbyborax
15-Nov-09, 23:35
Duke Street is no longer in existance ! Think the houses were demolished around 1958 when there was a lot of new building in the area.
The only family i remember residing there were the Macgregors.

Hi there,

There was the Mackay family That lived in Duke Street Birdie Deid Joey, siblings Billy, Johan, Jimmy, Margaret & Donald (Doakers). if I recall there was Swanson the coal merchant there also

thurso_123
16-Nov-09, 20:30
hi there the macgregor family lived there also there were mckays and mcphees and cannops and there was a willie hendry or henry that had a farm round abot were the paint shop is