PDA

View Full Version : Derren Brown

Alan16
02-Oct-09, 21:55
Anyone else watching him try his roulette event?

Part of me knows that most of what he does must simply be cheating with a lot of showmanship, but I still find him captivating. Take the lottery event for example - he must of cheated some how. It is a 1 in 14 million (I think) chance of getting it right, yet he did. He must have cheated it (I don't believe that group theory thing he spouted [in this scenario] - yes as a theory it is probably scientifically accurate, but not on things like this), but part of me wishes he didn't and another part just doesn't care: I suppose this is in essence what the religious feel.

Anyway, what are the odds he gets it right (and I don't mean the purely mathematical ones which are 1 in 35)?

Metalattakk
02-Oct-09, 22:04
He's an illusionist. Everything he does is part of the illusion, even his explanations.

He's good at it though. ;)

John Baikie
02-Oct-09, 22:17
He's just the paul daniels of 2009 (without the debbie mageeeeee), but he's very good and the fact we are talking about it means it's working for him. Obviously you can't predict something that is chance, but he has a hell of a lot of folk still believing the lottery stunt. Fair play to him.

Much as I am sceptical about folk like him, and 'fortune tellers' and such like, I take my hat off to them for being able to make a lot of money out of it.

Alan16
02-Oct-09, 22:21
He's just the paul daniels of 2009 (without the debbie mageeeeee), but he's very good and the fact we are talking about it means it's working for him. Obviously you can't predict something that is chance, but he has a hell of a lot of folk still believing the lottery stunt. Fair play to him.

Much as I am sceptical about folk like him, and 'fortune tellers' and such like, I take my hat off to them for being able to make a lot of money out of it.

A couple of things - he has been around for a lot longer than just this year, and has been famous for quite a few years, so it's not as if his popularity is a 2009 fad. Also, he has made a thing about saying that he has no actual psychic abilities, and that he does not believe in that sort of stuff.

Anyway, I basically agree with you - he is tricking everyone, but he is very very good at both doing it and making it believable.

tonkatojo
03-Oct-09, 08:40
What a politician Derren Brown would make. ;)

guitarzan
03-Oct-09, 09:01
he cocked it up last night though didn't he?

Alan16
03-Oct-09, 14:09
he cocked it up last night though didn't he?

Seeing as his series "The Events" is said to have at least doubled his worth (according to his and other publicists), I think he'll be able to live with that.

hercs22
03-Oct-09, 22:42
Regardless of whether the things he does are real or not he is one hell of a showman and he should be applauded for entertaining the nation ;). I for one will look forward to any future stunts/events/illusions he may have planned :lol:

Aaldtimer
04-Oct-09, 02:51
...."Seeing as his series "The Events" is said to have at least doubled his worth (according to his and other publicists),"...

Mmmm, doubled his wealth maybe, but worth?:confused

Alan16
04-Oct-09, 03:08
...."Seeing as his series "The Events" is said to have at least doubled his worth (according to his and other publicists),"...

Mmmm, doubled his wealth maybe, but worth?:confused

Well believe it or not, I may be young but I did put some thought into this. I thought about wealth, but realised that that was wrong, seeing as his wealth hasn't actually doubled. I therefore settled on worth (partly because of this definition by Merriam Webster: "the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held") because the idea is that the amount of money worth paying for him to perform is said to have doubled, not the number in his bank account - although I'm sure that will soon follow.

Aaldtimer
04-Oct-09, 03:36
Well believe it or not, I may be young but I did put some thought into this. I thought about wealth, but realised that that was wrong, seeing as his wealth hasn't actually doubled. I therefore settled on worth (partly because of this definition by Merriam Webster: "the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held") because the idea is that the amount of money worth paying for him to perform is said to have doubled, not the number in his bank account - although I'm sure that will soon follow.

Seems to me as a classic case of "Knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing".:confused

Alan16
04-Oct-09, 04:08
Seems to me as a classic case of "Knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing".:confused

Seems to me like a classic case...