PDA

View Full Version : conifers

suzy
02-Oct-09, 09:53
Morning all, Will conifers grow in Caithness, and will they make a good hedge, I got a leaflet from a certain shop with special offers on next week, I will need about 30 so before I spent my money just thought I'd see what you say. many thanks Suzy

muffin
03-Oct-09, 10:43
Native conifers will grow slowly if you are in a windy spot, I most certainly would not plant leylandeii, they suffer badly from windburn, my neighbour planted about 100 last year and I don't think any have survived.

suzy
03-Oct-09, 14:58
thanks for the tip. I will check out what kind they are before I part with my money!!

Stargazer
18-Oct-09, 15:44
Have a look round the county at hedges. Most are Beech and Hawthorn. I planted a mix six years ago and they are now forming a pretty thick 5 foot tall hedge. (Can still see through it in places) In retrospect the Beech is a better looking plant and I would have been better planting 100% Beech.

roadbowler
20-Oct-09, 20:44
i'd skip the conifers. Go for hawthorn, alder, hazel, beech, or elder. They all do fine in caithness.

suzy
20-Oct-09, 22:21
thanks everyone for the advice, just got to go buy some now.

new driver
31-Oct-09, 23:49
Holly grows well too and it's evergreen with lots of lovely leaf shapes and colours.