PDA

View Full Version : Ban Jewel adverts / Cash for Gold Adverts

Loch not Lock
28-Sep-09, 09:43
Almost every commercial break has an advert asking the public for unwanted gold or silver. These should be banned. Here is why - you will only be paid the minimum scrap price while the companies will sift off any valuable pieces.
That is why they can pay millions in advertising.
Another worrying aspect is that it is a burgler's paradise as an easy way of them cashing in on stolen goods.[evil]

Rheghead
28-Sep-09, 16:55
Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the owner to make sure no valuable pieces are mixed in with the dross? Or are you under-valuing the intelligence of your fellow humans?:confused

Gronnuck
28-Sep-09, 17:34
I think these adverts are aimed at people who don't know any better. It could be argued that it's a form of exploitation. TBH I would find a couple of reputable jewelers first and get their opinion before parting with any jewelery.

unicorn
28-Sep-09, 17:38
I would imagine in this case it would be seller beware.

davie
28-Sep-09, 19:04
The same could be said of all media advertising. By its nature there is either someone wanting to buy or sell some item to/from Joe Public. The profit on any such transaction only goes one way be it gold, car insurance, white goods, life assurance etc etc.

MrsK
28-Sep-09, 19:21
If some muppet believes everything the adverts tell them and sends off their jewelry without having any idea of its true worth - then more fool them.

I'd be happier to see ridiculous cosmetic adverts banned that use psuedo-scientific names to sell their latest anti-ageing snake oil.

George Brims
28-Sep-09, 21:34
Doesn't British TV have any kind of consumer programmes any more? Time was the Esther Ranzen's show would have looked into something like this. Here in LA, one of the local TV news outfits did a test where they had some jewelery appraised, for scrap metal value as well as whole, and then sent it to one of these places. They got about 10% of the scrap value! Since that aired, the adverts seem to have disappeared.

Jester
28-Sep-09, 22:15
A friend of mine, who used to live in Jersey, pointed out one of these 'sell your gold' adverts was on behalf of a company that he knows to be at best, "dodgy".
I suspect that if your gold went missing, there would be no come back, to a firm based in Jersey :roll:
As everybody else suggests, these companies are probably best avoided.

Jester
28-Sep-09, 22:20
I'd be happier to see ridiculous cosmetic adverts banned that use psuedo-scientific names to sell their latest anti-ageing snake oil.

It is always interesting to read the small print on these adverts. They often claim that "95% of all woman surveyed noticed a huge improvement". However, the small print often reveals a very small survey taking place - often as low as 35 people! Not quite such an impressive claim, when you know how small the survey group was :confused

mrjolly
28-Sep-09, 22:24
i work with scrap gold and other metals. this ad on tv is a con

Whitewater
28-Sep-09, 22:44
All ads of this type are a con and they are just exploiting the weaker members of society and the people who may be down on their luck just now because of the recession.

In this country I have always been charged if a gold chain or bracelet had to be reduced in size. I have found that buying gold in America is a far more honest and pleasurable experience. A few years ago I purchased a rather expensive gold bracelet for my wife, it had to be reduced in size, they asked me if I wanted to take the removed gold with me, I said no, so they weighed it and gave me the money to the value of gold which was removed. I thought that was pretty honest of them, never had an offer like that in this country.

Jester
28-Sep-09, 22:58
What about all these adverts trying to get us to sue everybody?
"Have you been injured at work . . . trip or fall?"
I was recently in a car accident, which was fortunately very minor. I was bombarded by solicitors trying to get me to sue the other driver for damages, loss of income, distress etc etc
No wonder all insurance premiums are going through the roof [evil]

Loch not Lock
29-Sep-09, 08:44
One of my main objections to these adverts is the theft aspect where burglars can easily dipose of their ill-gotten goods. They are usually so desperate for cash that they don't care if they get a fair price. Nobody has commented on this dangerous invitation to crooks.:confused

dragonfly
29-Sep-09, 13:32
i've sold some gold recently to try and recoup some of the £6k that we paid out for Brodie's operation. I did my research and found a dealer that I have now used twice and wouldn't hesitate in using again albeit in under the same terms as we have previously dealt.

the adverts on the telly only offer around £4-5 per gram of gold (that doesn't include stones so if doing it, take them out), the guy I deal with is x2 that and he doesn't take a cut for himself out of that figure which the ones on the telly do I beleive.

do your research properly and it can be quite profitable if needing to raise extra cash

Cattach
29-Sep-09, 13:39

You would wouldn't you having a vested interest in the matter!

Cattach
29-Sep-09, 13:40
Almost every commercial break has an advert asking the public for unwanted gold or silver. These should be banned. Here is why - you will only be paid the minimum scrap price while the companies will sift off any valuable pieces.
That is why they can pay millions in advertising.
Another worrying aspect is that it is a burgler's paradise as an easy way of them cashing in on stolen goods.[evil]

The same could be said of many other advertisements. We would be banning right, left and centre. Use your commonsense in such a situatipon - buyer beware seems OK to me.

Loch not Lock
29-Sep-09, 17:53
The same could be said of many other advertisements. We would be banning right, left and centre. Use your commonsense in such a situatipon - buyer beware seems OK to me.
That does not answer the oppertunity that it gives drug-craved burglars the easy chance of selling their theft. They will be willing to take any price to get their next fix.
Therefore my case for banning these adverts is that it makes it an encouragement for these no-good crooks to grab what they can and wait for "your payment will be sent in 24 hours."

Cattach
30-Sep-09, 14:44
That does not answer the oppertunity that it gives drug-craved burglars the easy chance of selling their theft. They will be willing to take any price to get their next fix.
Therefore my case for banning these adverts is that it makes it an encouragement for these no-good crooks to grab what they can and wait for "your payment will be sent in 24 hours."

I am afraid this applies to most consumer durables and just not gold and the adverts that are likely to attarct those stealing for whatever reason. In fact, there are so many opportunities to steal much mpre accessible and resaleable domestic items that the gold theft issue is hardly worth consideration.

M R
30-Sep-09, 17:14

How is this a con, if people decide to give them the gold etc then it's their choice..........

Pointless thread :confused

KILTIECAULDBUM
06-Oct-09, 17:49
Someone commented on these ads a week or so ago. Has anybody on here had any experience of dealing with any of them? Just curious as to what kind of offers they make?

Not that I have loads of 'spare' Gold lying about....!!!! [lol]

NickInTheNorth
06-Oct-09, 17:54
I'm keeping my pile of gold to myself, it gets in the way sometines, but the family have got used to walking around it now.

The envelopes they show on tv would not be much use anyway, far to small...

poppett
06-Oct-09, 18:56
Some years ago I took some broken pieces of gold to the silversmith at the top of the raining stairs in Inverness and he made a ring and bangle from it for me, both in the shape of a fifty pence piece. Would rather do something similar again than trust the claims of unknown advertisers.

nightowl
19-Nov-09, 19:09
What are these "gold buying" companies all about? How can they be sure that that the gold sent to them isn't stolen? What a bonus for our local "druggie" housebreakers. No more travelling south to sell their "stash" after a night on the rob. Now they can just relax, pop the "loot" into an envelope and wait for the cash to arrive by return of post.
Keep safe and secure, this is just the time of year they start their Christmas shoplifting in houses near you. It happened to us a few years ago when we were Christmas shopping in Inverness, so be on your guard or your family heirlooms could be on their way to "Gold R Us"
I say ban them.