PDA

View Full Version : Wick Hospital for Depression around 1890

marionq
21-Sep-09, 19:20
I have just received a medical report from Craig Dunain through the Inverness Archives which covers the admission of my gt gt aunt Elizabeth Morrison for periodic bouts of depression bordering on insanity. It looks to me like a menopausal breakdown but she also had a very difficult life. The report says she was previously admitted at Wick but does not specify which hospital that would be.

Can you suggest which one and where I would get the report that would go with it - Inverness again?

Marion

dx100uk
21-Sep-09, 19:32
if you are in wick, try the very nice lady upstairs in the achieves, very helpful

dx

marionq
22-Sep-09, 09:43
Slick but not helpful. Those of us who are interested in what happened to our ancestors generally find people on this board have knowledge of the area that we don't. In 1890 there must have been somewhere in the area which dealt with mental illness.

trinkie
22-Sep-09, 13:08
Marionq, From my own research I found that most people from the north as far as Shetland, suffering from the mildest depression, were sent to Sunnyside Asylum near Montrose. At that time it was thought best to take them as far from the family as possible.
If you google 'Sunnyside Asylum' you will find some interesting information.

Good luck
Trinkie

Mosser
22-Sep-09, 16:07
I have just received a medical report from Craig Dunain through the Inverness Archives which covers the admission of my gt gt aunt Elizabeth Morrison for periodic bouts of depression bordering on insanity. It looks to me like a menopausal breakdown but she also had a very difficult life. The report says she was previously admitted at Wick but does not specify which hospital that would be.

Can you suggest which one and where I would get the report that would go with it - Inverness again?

Marion

Hi Marion,

Try this link

http://www.caithness.org/community/museums/nha/indexes/plist.htm

Mosser