PDA

View Full Version : Stroma Cemetery

Issy13
06-Apr-06, 11:33
Does anyone know if there is a list of the people who are buried in the Stroma cemetery ?
I'm looking for my g'father, George Allan.

Greenrunner
06-Apr-06, 20:18
If want to PM me the names of your g'dads children I can ask some of the older stroma folks when up there next week. Offspring names may help identify?

Jeanette Wolff
10-Apr-06, 03:32
There is a list of those burried in the Stroma Cemetery in the book 'Stroma' by Donald Young. You may be able to find a copy through your local library. George Allan is not listed. Names that are:- William Jnr, William, Catherine, Jessie, Helen, John, Donald, David, Annie, Sarah & Barabara. The list is not complete though. Good luck.

simpson
10-Apr-06, 18:28
I know of someone that should have a plan off Stroma cemetry and everyone that is buried there, I will have a look and get back in touch with you.

jackie
10-Apr-06, 20:56
HI I have the list of Stroma Folk that are buried. I will get in touch with you when I get home for lunch here in another 15 minutes. I am also a trying to find Simpson's and noticed that you are one. My Simpson line hails from Caninsbay, then migrated to Flotta Orkney, but my grandfather used to go over to Stroma and visit family there, but we just don't know who he visited.
I will be online in a few to get back to you.
Jackie

jackie
10-Apr-06, 21:59
Hi well I can't seem to find my folder with all of that info in it at the moment, murphey's law, but I did find your grandfather or a George Allan living at the Lock #19 with wife Isa Heddle children: Ida, Willie, Annie, Barbara, Stuart.

In the quick look that I did have on the deaths I could find I found these Allan's: This is from the Old Stroma Cemetary:
No:82 Catherine Allan (no dates)
No: 108 Annied Allan wife of William Rosie no dates
No: 125 Anne Banks wife of William Allan
Helen Allan daughter of William Allan buried april 23, 1928 age 80

No 126: Donald Allan son of William Died Dec 27 1903 age 21
David Allan son of William Buried June 2, 1930 age 39

No 127: John Allan no dates (son of William)
Now 128: William Allan Senior no dates

These are most likely relatives of your grandfather's possibly William might have been his brother not sure, but that is what I have found so far on the Allan's. I will search again a little later when I get home from work. William Allan was a Pilot according to the write up about the residents of Stroma.
Sorry no George at this time
Jackie

Issy13
13-Apr-06, 01:19
I started a reply to this letter and lost it in cyberspace.
The family in #19 are my family members.
William, son of George Allan & Isabella ( Heddle ) was my father.
His brother Stuart ( age 16 ) was drowned in 1918 when the Shamrock, a motor boat , went down as well as John Mowat ( age 35 ) and David Banks ( age 60 ). He also had 3 sisters, Barbara, Ida, and Annie.
Isabella is buried in an unmarked grave here in Calgary Alberta Canada.
She is listed while George does not seem to be.
If anyone finds out anymore about George's final resting place, I would be very happy to hear about it.
Thanks so much,
Isabella Moreland

Issy13
08-May-06, 00:31
Were you able to get this plan for me ?

Mandy Clarkson
02-Apr-07, 19:13
HI I have the list of Stroma Folk that are buried. I will get in touch with you when I get home for lunch here in another 15 minutes. I am also a trying to find Simpson's and noticed that you are one. My Simpson line hails from Caninsbay, then migrated to Flotta Orkney, but my grandfather used to go over to Stroma and visit family there, but we just don't know who he visited.
I will be online in a few to get back to you.
Jackie
Hello
I am a new member, with Simpson connections on Stroma, would you be able to let me have a list of those buried on Stroma. I would be really grateful if this is possible.

jackie
05-Apr-07, 20:12
HI Mandy.
Send me a private message and I will give you my home email address. I would love to know which Simpson's you are connected to as I am trying to find our Simpson connections to Stroma. Our Simpson's came from Canisbay then went over to Orkney.

Jackie

Kingetter
20-Oct-07, 10:11
From another list, a member is looking for information concerning a Catherine Manson thought to have married a James Simpson in 1771, in Canisbay. They had a son William married to either a Charlott Dunnet or Bessie Rosie (confusion with Williams).
Would James Simpson be connected to any of you maybe?
The same person has more interests in Stroma and Canisbay (Wares).

James.

jackie
25-Oct-07, 20:39
From another list, a member is looking for information concerning a Catherine Manson thought to have married a James Simpson in 1771, in Canisbay. They had a son William married to either a Charlott Dunnet or Bessie Rosie (confusion with Williams).

IF you PM me, I will tell you which is which.
Thanks Jackie

theone
02-Apr-09, 13:11
Anyone found a list yet?

I'd be very interested.

Kris
02-Apr-09, 20:01
There are a few photographs of Stroma Folk on Scran, mainly Malcolm Simpson & Family.

Mamie_2
09-Apr-09, 15:32
The list is about 5 pages from Donald Young's Stroma Book. Mostly 20th century burials and lots without dates. Includes a plan of the cemetary.

Mamie

theone
09-May-09, 15:44

IF you PM me, I will tell you which is which.
Thanks Jackie

William Simpson and Charlotte Dunnet are in my tree. Any more information (especially their parents) would be appreciated.