PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu found in Fife

golach
05-Apr-06, 22:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4881526.stm

this is getting too close to home now

Stargazer
05-Apr-06, 23:29
The experts do not know what type of bird flu this one died of yet. May be of no consequence. I won't be losing any sleep tonight.

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 09:46
even if it is H5N1 what can you do about it? Nothing, it shouldn't affect you unless there is a human outbreak in which case worrying won't even help anyway.

squidge
06-Apr-06, 10:04
Teh reporter on the radio today said there are tests being carried out to see if the bird had died of the "potentially fatal" strain of flu

How potentially fatal can something be - the bird is dead and they need tests to tell them that?

golach
06-Apr-06, 10:13
Teh reporter on the radio today said there are tests being carried out to see if the bird had died of the "potentially fatal" strain of flu

How potentially fatal can something be - the bird is dead and they need tests to tell them that?
Squidge sweetness, the reporter meant "Fatal to humans" strain

porshiepoo
06-Apr-06, 10:39
Well it would appear that I need to eat humble pie yet again! lol

Last year I ridiculed the thought of the virus mutating with the human flu and causing deaths and although that hasn't happened (yet) it would appear it doesn't really need to.
The odds don't exactly look great for those people that do pick up this virus from the birds do they! out of 40 cases 27 resulted in deaths. Eek!

Still, what will be will be, we're powerless to defend ourselves against it it would seem, our lives are in the hands of the experts so lets hope for a breakthrough in a vaccine.

squidge
06-Apr-06, 10:51
I STILL refuse to get worried about it.

I have enough things to worry about - like having ten visitors this weekend and no cooker - or how i will afford to pay my council tax or buy my boy new trainers and new glasses to worry about something i am highly unlikely to catch. Will i change my behaviour as a result of bird flu being here? No. If i see a dead bird i wont pick it up but then i wouldnt pick it up if there wasnt bird flu yuk i dont like dead things. I will still eat chicken and eggs - if fact the bacon and egg buttie for breakfast was yummy. I wont go and cuddle a chicken or a budgie even but then i wouldnt cuddle a chickne or budgie anyway.

The reasons for worrying about this should be about how the industry will deal with the appearance of bird flu not whether it will infect us all as a mad plague and leave the dead piling up in the streets. Im sure that this is what some of the tabloid press would like us to worry about.

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 12:11
Just confirmed that it is H5N1 strain.

sjwahwah
06-Apr-06, 16:09
I would guess H5N1 bird flu is iatrogenic but, then you'd all call me crazy!:D

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 16:13
iatrogenic : induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures ....... so in saying this you think this is a man made disease????

sjwahwah
06-Apr-06, 16:20
it's a distinct possiblity, yes.

_Ju_
06-Apr-06, 16:22
I would guess H5N1 bird flu is iatrogenic but, then you'd all call me crazy!:D

I was wondering if you know the meaning of the word iatrogenic?

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 16:22
wow,,, I suppose that would be one way to keep the world population down but it's a wee bit extreme surely......[para]

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 16:23
iatrogenic : induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic
there you go Ju

_Ju_
06-Apr-06, 16:25
it's a distinct possiblity, yes.
LOL.... another conspiracy theory. Never mind that in history many flu pandemics have originated in wildbird populations and mutated to human to human transmission, thus resulting in pandemics. Oh...I see what you are getting at: it's the chines that are engenering this virus and letting it out on the world to...take control?:lol: :lol: :lol:

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 16:27
Paranoia seems to be sweeping the nation on every angle lol

LOL.... another conspiracy theory. Never mind that in history many flu pandemics have originated in wildbird populations and mutated to human to human transmission, thus resulting in pandemics. Oh...I see what you are getting at: it's the chines that are engenering this virus and letting it out on the world to...take control?:lol: :lol: :lol:

Venture
06-Apr-06, 16:32
Im sure I just heard on the radio about another two swans found dead in a park in Glasgow I think.

Venture
06-Apr-06, 16:37
Breaking news on BBC 24 they believe it wasnt a migratory swan. 14 other birds being tested. Low risk to humans Wild bird risk area announced of 2500 sq kms 260,000 chickens now to be moved indoors.

sjwahwah
06-Apr-06, 16:44
well.. i mean the actual surrounding measures to be taken.. vaccination and of course panic. I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as humans catching it. Meaning I think there is no need for vaccination or vast stocks of Tamiflu. It is all abit over the top isn't it?

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Apr-06, 16:59
There was a Government document leaked recently about Bird Flu. Said that a vaccine wouldn't be produced in time, and, that, they estimated in the regions of 800,000 deaths - 300,000 being a more "prudent" figure. Anyone seen the movie Twelve Monkies?

Tugmistress
06-Apr-06, 17:11
Well the Scottish Executive have put up an article on their website here (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2006/04/06100430)
part of it says ....

Mr Milne said if other dead wild birds were found in the area they would be sent for laboratory tests. The public should not pick up any dead birds but should instead report them to the police or through a special hotline - 08459 33 55 77.
He said the unringed swan had been reported on March 29 and collected the next day. It arrived at VLA in Weybridge, Surrey, on March 31 and preliminary results showing the H5 virus were first known on April 5.
Mr Milne confirmed that the dead swan had been partially eaten by predators, but there was no evidence to suggest domestic animals were involved. The protection measures included advice on pets.
He said the countryside remained open and there was no need for the public to restrict their movements.

Ricco
06-Apr-06, 17:51
Let's hope that the scientists work quickly and effectively on a vaccine - the last pandemic was quite nasty. There was a documentary that pointed out that this virus tends to attack those who are fit and in their peak years - it doesn't go for those who are young or old. This is the opposite of 'common' flu.

lassieinfife
06-Apr-06, 18:44
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4881526.stm

this is getting too close to home now

you think its getting to close to you .. its 20 miles from me

gleeber
06-Apr-06, 20:45
I have to admit I am not a flapper when stuff like this hits the news. Something that has always amazed me is how I rarely come across dead birds in all the miles I walk. The usual place is the beach, but rarely more than 1 or 2, and those usually covered in oil. Where do birds go to die I wonder?
What does concern me though is that this virus is unlikely to cross over to humans without intimate contact with an infected bird.
This virus has mutated and killed a number of people in the far East but those people have had intimate contact with domestic birds. Apparently the virus needs intimate contact before it can mutate and birds and humans live in close contact in those countries.
My concern is cats. Am I beginning to flap about nothing? Will pussies natural habits become a danger to humans? Should cats now be at the least quarintined?

gleeber
06-Apr-06, 22:43
My concern about cats, although I am not that concerned, was serious. Now that the comedians have had their fun how about some feedback?

unicorn
06-Apr-06, 22:49
The main concerns at the moment seem to be geese, ducks and swans, on the news they didn't want anything else reported unless there were at least 3 dead in the same area so I really am not sure of the risk, I think collars with loud bells may be a good idea for all of our hunters who stalk the birds :)

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 22:50
My concern about cats, although I am not that concerned, was serious. Now that the comedians have had their fun how about some feedback?

As you have seen, my cat has a problem and it began arround the time she tried to pick a fight with an injured crow and got pecked in the chin which turned septic. At the time I jokingly said that she had bird flue but now you've got me thinking. I don't know if the dead crow is still where it was but if it is, I will have it checked by the authotities. Sorry for the comedy but cats bring up elephants in my posting mind these days. It's all DW's fault.:roll:

canuck
06-Apr-06, 23:15
Guys, calm down! One outbreak of H5N1 is not necessarily a threat to the cat and elephant or human populations of Caithness, or Fife for that matter. No need to build the ark just yet. We have had a number of ducks test positive in Ontario in the past 6 months and everything is still okay. Besides, after SARS, in Canada the very best minds of the Scottish Diaspora were put to work on the challenge of controlling things in the face of a major contageous disease. We now boast the leading edge in preventation care and will surely gladly share it with our family in Scotland. So, stop loosing sleep over it and causing poor gleeber undue anxiety. We need him in good health to keep at bay the end of the world doomsday preachers. :grin:

outsider
07-Apr-06, 00:28
I have swans at my uni...dont make me go bak!!!

htwood
07-Apr-06, 21:29
Although there's no current evidence of a mutation of avian into feline influenza, it seems likely that IF a major avian influenza outbreak occurred, most people who own cats or other animals that eat dead wild birds, would logically keep those animals indoors. (Same thing would be true if a large industrial estate set out rat poison, and dead poisoned rats were all over the neighborhood.)

Whatever it takes to minimize contact with the virus.

Best prevention for humans is handwashing (yes, with SOAP) and covering each and every cough and sneeze with cloth or disposable tissue; and masking if working at an infected poulty farm.

footie chick
07-Apr-06, 21:33
Yes.
Need to look at tugmistress's post The Passing Of An Old Friend!