PDA

View Full Version : Lightening Conductor?

Errogie
19-Sep-09, 18:56
I've just completed a DIY job on the house roof. Found an old coil of copper wire left behind by a relative so have strung it along the ridge of the roof so that the drip might discourage moss which currently has a likeing for the concrete tiles.

Then standing back to admire this bit of inspired handiwork, suddenly a small doubt came to the surface. Have I set up the old but n' ben as a target for a lightening strike from above, particularly as it coincided with my annual visit from a Jehovah's Witness who I sent on his way with the suggestion that we might already be in heaven (it has been a particularly lovely day here).

How real a possibility is it and to be safe should I run a connection down into the ground just in case?

PantsMAN
19-Sep-09, 19:31
I don't think you will lighten the butnben, I expect it will stay the same colour.

As for a lightning strike, God only knows.... :lol: :lol:

Phill
19-Sep-09, 20:35
If it's running flat along the roofline I doubt it will be any more of a risk.

The risk will come if it is pointing upwards and becomes elevated beyond the roofline or chimney pots etc. but even then it needs a path for the current to follow easily.

I wouldn't ground it as then it will increase the chances, lightning goes from the ground up!

And if it is not the correct gauge for the potential current then you risk it starting a fire as IF it were hit by lightening and not enough for the current it will basically melt, burn and explode sending lots of bits of burning molten metal all over the show. Not good!

Leave it as is and you should be ok.