PDA

View Full Version : Local bands - vocals v guitars

TopCatsPurr
05-Apr-06, 21:53
Why does nearly every local band that plays in Thurso (from what I've seen) concentrate more on guitar playing than vocal clarity? Surely the lyrics and vocal performance are the most important part of a song? Guitarists can have their moments of glory in the solos, then come back in behind the vocals and not over the top of them. What's the need for them cranking it up the whole way through?

Gleber2
05-Apr-06, 22:58
Why does nearly every local band that plays in Thurso (from what I've seen) concentrate more on guitar playing than vocal clarity? Surely the lyrics and vocal performance are the most important part of a song? Guitarists can have their moments of glory in the solos, then come back in behind the vocals and not over the top of them. What's the need for them cranking it up the whole way through?

Maybe it's because none of them can sing. But that seems to be de rigeur these days to be popular!!!!:confused:

TopCatsPurr
05-Apr-06, 23:06
well, I didn't like to say incase I put noses out of joint!

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 00:13
well, I didn't like to say incase I put noses out of joint!
My nose is so out of joint it revolves. Say what you think, but be sure your band can't be put in the same box.:)

mostlyharmless
06-Apr-06, 11:19
Which band or individual has the best vocals then ?
Or is it a matter of taste?

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 12:36
Or is it a matter of taste?

I've not heard all the local bands so I can't say. Stevie Taylor has a distinctive voice ,Cyanide have a fine chanter and Crimson Tide are excellent. I won't comment on the rest.:lol: :lol:

Jeid
06-Apr-06, 15:57
Think its all a matter of taste. You can check our singer out from the link in my signature.

I really like Stevie Taylor's voice.

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 18:19
Think its all a matter of taste. You can check our singer out from the link in my signature.

There are those that can sing and there are those that can't. Not a matter if taste but a matter of fact.

Jeid
06-Apr-06, 18:25
Yeah John, but thats not what was asked. The question is:

So indeed, it is a matter of taste.

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 19:23
Yeah John, but thats not what was asked. The question is:

So indeed, it is a matter of taste.

You infer that none of them can sing and its a matter of taste as to who is the best of a bad bunch. And also the criteria that creates your taste dictates your opinion.

zebedy
06-Apr-06, 19:56
I love reading the forums

But man You guys are using sum pritty big words...

I've lost track!

haha:Razz

Jeid
06-Apr-06, 22:05
You infer that none of them can sing and its a matter of taste as to who is the best of a bad bunch. And also the criteria that creates your taste dictates your opinion.

Actually, I'm not, you're putting words into my mouth. I never said any of "them" were a bad bunch. Stop mis-reading what I'm saying. I said it's a matter of taste, much like who the best guitar player is, who the best drummer is, which band is the best etc. I could list on forever, but I ain't gonna bother.

You think Stevie Taylor has a good voice, as do I. However, it doesn't mean that we'll share all our opinions on what we class as a good singer. There might be something in a vocalists style that I find appealing and you totally dislike. That is a matter of opinion John. Correct, there are those who can sing and those who cannot. It just ain't as black and white as that. There are voices that I listen to regularly, a lot of them try to sound similar and they all do a good job, but some do it better. It doesn't mean the person who doesn't do it as well can't sing.

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 22:27
Thanks for clarifying what you see as my understanding of your post. Diction, intonation, articulation and timing are the points which decide whether one is a good singer or not, not anyones opinion, although you are indeed entitled to yours.

Jeid
06-Apr-06, 22:36
Thanks for clearing that one up.

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 22:38
Thanks for clearing that one up.

C'mon man, is it impossible to get a good arguement on this music Forum anymore. Bring back Uppiebalad.
By the way, hev ye got an elephant??????

TopCatsPurr
06-Apr-06, 22:51
Barry usually has an antagonistic thing or two to say, where's he these days?! On the other forums probably.

Nah but seriously, it's no like the old days when you could walk into a pub and there'd be some dude standing there with a tele or strat, hooked up to a fender twin or peavey bandit giving it the old bar chords, waiting for his big pentatonic minor moment. Then it was back into the shadows allowing the singer to shine.

Jeid
06-Apr-06, 23:17
C'mon man, is it impossible to get a good arguement on this music Forum anymore. Bring back Uppiebalad.
By the way, hev ye got an elephant??????

Indeed it is, sad times. Shame we need someone like him to keep us interested. Lets get him back.. I have his e-mail address ;)

An elephant? What?

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 23:36
Indeed it is, sad times. Shame we need someone like him to keep us interested. Lets get him back.. I have his e-mail address ;)

An elephant? What?

You a obviously don't keep up with the General Forum or you would't ask the relevance of elephants.

Back to the other question. Pavarotti can sing, Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger can't. Their popularity is a different matter. I cringe at Dylan and Jagger but that does not change the opinions of those who almost worship them as singer/songwriters. Don't like Pavarotti much when I compare him to Caruso, Geli or Macormack but my opinion does not change the fact he can sing.The style of vocals created by the 1976 punk thing can be emulated by anyone whether they can sing or not and the subsequent shouting screamo styles just make me laugh and believe me, I have heard quite a lot of it. To compare the relative vocal merits of this style of singing is more about entertainment than vocal ability and most of it benefits from being drowned out by a heavily distorted , totally unsympathetic guitar.

Reev
07-Apr-06, 17:08
Hmm were not getting anywhere here, well, whos the best.....i know who is, i am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol::lol::lol:

Gleber2
07-Apr-06, 17:40
Hmm were not getting anywhere here, well, whos the best.....i know who is, i am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol::lol::lol:

How come I've never heard ye sing then??

zebedy
07-Apr-06, 18:29
u never heard of duress gleber2?

Gleber2
07-Apr-06, 18:51
u never heard of duress gleber2?.
Heard of them,that's all, and if Reev's no better than Einstein then I dinna want to hear them[evil] anyway.

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 19:09

Wow! I have just listened to Wasted State's two sample tracks, and am mucho impressed by Gavin Chessor's voice! :grin:

zebedy
07-Apr-06, 21:36
Duress are lethal Gleber2

They are on the return! REEV!!.. even if it takes me kickin ure bottoms in gear!

And yes...

The once cover monkeys are coming back with sumthing different!

Even if i have to organize there praks for them!

Gleber2
08-Apr-06, 04:12
I finally heard Reev sing tonight. He might not be the best but his tone, intonation, articulation and diction were surprisingly good. Ten years of hard work and he might become a singer if he doesn't drink himself to death in the interim.

zebedy
08-Apr-06, 10:33
awesome... I agree... Dunno what all the big words meen Gleber2 but yeah Reev is a great singer!

Do u know what Like my uncle was... Did he sing back in the day Gleber2?

:confused:

susan.leith
08-Apr-06, 13:31
Some thoughts on guitars over vocals.....

I was at a gig in Edinburgh last nite - Emergenza Unsigned semi final. Some of the bands were boring - long bass solos going nowhere; others were gimmicky - chucking guitars about the stage (what's that all about? Guitars get broken easily!) Anyway, the band who won, 7 Story Ruin, are all talented musicians - but you could sing along to their songs, and to me, that is really important. So I guess vocals over guitars for me!

Check them out at
http://www.myspace.com/7storyruin

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Apr-06, 14:20
What were you doing at an Emergenza show, Susan? Stay away fae they battle-of-the-bands/ sign-away-your-soul shows, they're no good for you.

Gleber2
08-Apr-06, 18:25
What were you doing at an Emergenza show, Susan? Stay away fae they battle-of-the-bands/ sign-away-your-soul shows, they're no good for you.
I seem to remember a band called Gamma Delta getting knocked out of a Battle of the Bands last year by a group called Emergenza. Do I detect a whiff of sour grapes?[evil]

susan.leith
08-Apr-06, 19:09

When you're 17, you've got to live the dream while you can ..... Just showing my support for the boys from Leith.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Apr-06, 19:29
I seem to remember a band called Gamma Delta getting knocked out of a Battle of the Bands last year by a group called Emergenza. Do I detect a whiff of sour grapes?[evil]

Not at all. It was merely an experiment. In fact, if you buy - or just choose to look it up online - you can see my (mini) feature on the Battle-of-the-Bands phenomena in the Critique section of The Scotsman newspaper next Saturday. All will be revealed there. By the way, it was Gamma Vs Delta ;-)

Gleber2
08-Apr-06, 20:16
Not at all. It was merely an experiment. In fact, if you buy - or just choose to look it up online - you can see my (mini) feature on the Battle-of-the-Bands phenomena in the Critique section of The Scotsman newspaper next Saturday. All will be revealed there. By the way, it was Gamma Vs Delta ;-)

How can you expect an old man like me to recall the minutae of unimportant facts?[evil]

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Apr-06, 20:19
I don't; just merely bringing it to your attention.

susan.leith
08-Apr-06, 20:30

I'll make a point of looking for that next week! Thanks.

BTW did you go to see Elvis at the Playhouse?? Not a fan, but went with friends........OMG it was dire!

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Apr-06, 20:53
Thankfully I missed it. However, I was asked to cover the Elvis show at the Festival Theatre, based on the '68 Comeback. You can always book my own Elvis here: www.superelvis.co.uk. He's available for children's parties, weddings, bar mitzvas etc. Just don't get me started on the Sing-along-with-Elvis shows. Sheesh!

mostlyharmless
09-Apr-06, 00:45
Yes... I think I 'm clear now...??!!

Vocals are the most important then? and if they are decent and the overall sound is good then lyrics become more meaningful.

Which leads me on to who writes the best lyrics then ?
Or again does that depend on taste,age or association with the genre involved.

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 00:50
Yes... I think I 'm clear now...??!!

Vocals are the most important then? and if they are decent and the overall sound is good then lyrics become more meaningful.

Which leads me on to who writes the best lyrics then ?
Or again does that depend on taste,age or association with the genre involved.

Who can tell when most of the vocals in modern music are virtually impossible to decipher.:lol:

mostlyharmless
09-Apr-06, 01:02
I take your point..infact I wonder whether a large percentage of those that notice lyrics are the critics[gives them something to write about]... but rather less generally.
What about those beloved bands and individuals who live more locally?

There was a list somewhere someone was making wasn't there of websites etc of all bands and individuals locally?

but perhaps it may be difficult to get an unbiased opinion from those with bands etc on here?