PDA

View Full Version : Haggis, neeps & tatties pasty

cazmanian_minx
19-Sep-09, 09:38
Made this last night and it turned out surprisingly well! The resulting pasty is big enough for 2 - I saw the original recipe said 'Makes 1 pasty' and promptly doubled the quantities without reading further, so I have a cold one in the fridge for lunch!!

For the pastry:
225g plain flower
1tsp baking powder
0.5tsp salt
60g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
water

For the filling:
50g onion
150g potato
50g swede
50g steak mince
50g haggis
1tbsp fresh parsley
salt & pepper
1 egg (for glazing)

Whizz the flour, baking powder, salt, butter and egg yolk in the Magimix to make crumbs, then drip the water in until it forms a ball of pastry. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for an hour.

Heat the oven to 180C. Dice the swede and potato and cook in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Chop the onion and parsley. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and cut out a circle, using a dinner plate as a template. Arrange the onion in a line across the middle of the pastry. Put the mince and haggis on top, then the swede and potato, top with the parsley and season. (Mine resembled a compost heap at this stage, bits were spilling everywhere!!)

Beat the egg and brush round the edges of the pastry, then draw the edges of the pastry over the filling mountain and crimp together with your fingers. Make a small hole in the top to let steam out, brush liberally with the rest of the beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes.