PDA

View Full Version : Manchester to Inverness

Bazeye
17-Sep-09, 16:07
I know this might sound daft but do you need a valid UK passport for this, if flying?

ter21wat
17-Sep-09, 16:14
Hi there, you shouldn't need a passport as its a domestic flight, you should just need a valid form of photo ID, but best to check with your airline what they accept as this can vary from company to company.

dietcokegirl
17-Sep-09, 16:14
I dont think so - i used to fly from Prestwick to Cork in Ireland frequently and all i had to show was valid photo ID (drivers license etc).

Dadie
17-Sep-09, 17:42
WARNING!

It can depend on the airline though!

Think most will take any photo i.d. but some will insist on a passport so read the small print.

changilass
17-Sep-09, 17:44
Easy squeeeze wanted pasports even for little kids to go to Ireland so we didn't go grrrrr.

Best to check with your airline to be on the safe side.

ywindythesecond
17-Sep-09, 23:33
I know this might sound daft but do you need a valid UK passport for this, if flying?

You dont need a passport to go from Scotland to England, but the airlines want positive identification for security purposes and they might require a passport or other identification so check your paperwork and phone the airline as soon as you can to make sure you don't have any hiccups.

Kodiak
17-Sep-09, 23:39
I was going to fly from Wick to Edinburgh for £22 and all was going well until I was advised I had to produce a Valid Passport and at least one other Photo ID.

I was refused a ticket until I could provide these Documents.

Since I have neither I drove down, or rather I was the passenger and my Wife drove.

I thisk it is absolutely silly to require not only a Passport for an Internal flight but a Photo ID as well.

If airlines keep this up no one will fly, I refuse to buy a Passport and a Photo ID just to make a internal Flight.

Fran
18-Sep-09, 01:53
Last time i flew aberdeen to Gatwick they would only accept passport, not identity cards with photoes.

Bazeye
18-Sep-09, 11:20
Thanks everyone for the advice and info.

rhino
18-Sep-09, 16:53
Hi,

I regularly fly this route with Flybe. You only need photographicID (I use driving licence)

Regards

Have a nice flight if you go.

Bazeye
18-Sep-09, 23:46
Hi,

I regularly fly this route with Flybe. You only need photographicID (I use driving licence)

Regards

Have a nice flight if you go.

No driving licence, what else will do?

Aaldtimer
19-Sep-09, 03:17

I went to the expense of obtaining a provisional driving licence(with photo ID) a couple of years ago to travel to N.Ireland by Sqeezyjet, if memory serves, cost around £40. Don't know whether this would still apply though.:(

JAWS
20-Sep-09, 13:31
The fact you need some kind of ID or a passport for internal flights amuses me. It is nothing but a knee-jerk political reaction made on the grounds that you must be seen to be doing something.

Seeing terrorists both here and in Europe are more inclined to blow up trains and buses why do you not need ID or a passport before you can travel on them?
OMG, shouldn't have said that. I just hope no politicians see this or the next thing will be...... :eek:

Seriously though, it does seem a little strange that you need ID for one form of transport and not for the others. Besides that, even having everybody produce some form of ID isn't failsafe. I very much doubt that having a suicide bomber who is unknown to the authorities show some form of ID is either going to put him off or stop him. The threat of "We know who you are and we know where to find you." is hardly a threat they are going to worry about after the event now is it?

coastown
20-Sep-09, 15:54
I recently flew from Wick to Edinburgh with Flybe, like you i didnt have a drivers licence, I sent away for a citizens card cost £9 ,you can pick up a form from the Post Office.

starry
20-Sep-09, 16:43
I dont think so - i used to fly from Prestwick to Cork in Ireland frequently and all i had to show was valid photo ID (drivers license etc).

I would have thought you would definitely have needed a passport to go to Ireland, ETA but just checked an only with some airlines.

JAWS
we were talking about the lack of security on trains and buses compared to planes the other day, it amazes me that in this day and age you can get on the bus or train, leave all your luggage on there and get off at the next stop.
I could load my case into the hold on a bus going to London, get off at the next stop and my bag stays on unless I claim it.

lasher
20-Sep-09, 17:15
I was going to fly from Wick to Edinburgh for £22 and all was going well until I was advised I had to produce a Valid Passport and at least one other Photo ID.

I was refused a ticket until I could provide these Documents.

Since I have neither I drove down, or rather I was the passenger and my Wife drove.

I thisk it is absolutely silly to require not only a Passport for an Internal flight but a Photo ID as well.

If airlines keep this up no one will fly, I refuse to buy a Passport and a Photo ID just to make a internal Flight.
Can't believe that, no way would u need other id if you had a passport.

Bazeye
20-Sep-09, 18:09
The fact you need some kind of ID or a passport for internal flights amuses me. It is nothing but a knee-jerk political reaction made on the grounds that you must be seen to be doing something.

Seeing terrorists both here and in Europe are more inclined to blow up trains and buses why do you not need ID or a passport before you can travel on them?
OMG, shouldn't have said that. I just hope no politicians see this or the next thing will be...... :eek:

Seriously though, it does seem a little strange that you need ID for one form of transport and not for the others. Besides that, even having everybody produce some form of ID isn't failsafe. I very much doubt that having a suicide bomber who is unknown to the authorities show some form of ID is either going to put him off or stop him. The threat of "We know who you are and we know where to find you." is hardly a threat they are going to worry about after the event now is it?

Amen to that.