PDA

View Full Version : Age difference

Bazeye
17-Sep-09, 12:00
My mate from work, who is 36 has recently started seeing a lass aged 16, and as you can imagine hes been taking quite a bit of stick about it, mostly good natured, but has had malicious graffiti on his toolbox and locker. Im quite open minded but even I think thats a bit too much of a difference,considering her age. Apparently the girls mum has met my mate and is ok about it. What do you think,?

Tugmistress
17-Sep-09, 12:03
live and let live, it'll either work or it wont regardless of age difference, it's their choice and their life.

Invisible
17-Sep-09, 12:26
I couldn't have put it better myself Tugmistress

Vistravi
17-Sep-09, 12:27
live and let live, it'll either work or it wont regardless of age difference, it's their choice and their life.

I agree.
The age gap there is huge but she may be a mature 16 year old. Without knowing the lass no one can pass judgement on them.

Gizmo
17-Sep-09, 12:34
My mate from work, who is 36 has recently started seeing a lass aged 16, and as you can imagine hes been taking quite a bit of stick about it, mostly good natured, but has had malicious graffiti on his toolbox and locker. Im quite open minded but even I think thats a bit too much of a difference,considering her age. Apparently the girls mum has met my mate and is ok about it. What do you think,?

It's nobodys bloody business but their own, just leave them to it. I'm 8yrs older than my wife, and i started seeing her when she was 16, sure we've had a lot of ups and downs over the years, and split up more times than i care to remember, but we're still together nearly 15yrs later and have been married for 7. Anyone giving your mate grief is just jealous.

Bazeye
17-Sep-09, 12:41
Just out of curiosity, what if she had been a mature 15?

dragonfly
17-Sep-09, 12:44
its their lives who are we to judge but I don't think I would be too impressed if my 17 year old came home with a 36 year old but who knows, hasn't happened................yet! :eek:

changilass
17-Sep-09, 13:16
If she was 15 -mature or not- and they are having sex then that is illegal, so a totally different story.

Kodiak
17-Sep-09, 13:47
Just out of curiosity, what if she had been a mature 15?

You can always say "What if this or that".

This has nothing to do with this situation.

The young Lady is 16 and therefore of age. So it has nothing to do with anyone else including us all here on the org. So no one should really make a comment one way or another.

As Tugs says, Live and Let Live.

cuddlepop
17-Sep-09, 13:51
Whilst I agree live and let live I'd feel uncomfortable if she was my daughter...:eek:

Bazeye
17-Sep-09, 16:02
Whilst I agree live and let live I'd feel uncomfortable if she was my daughter...:eek:

That was my thought as my daughters 16.

EDDIE
17-Sep-09, 17:54

Well all im saying is i find it hard to believe that a 36 year old could relate to 16 year on that type of relationship.

NickInTheNorth
17-Sep-09, 18:06
with such a large age gap and the girl so young I doubt it will stand the test of time, however there is one sure fire way to make it last far longer than it otherwise might, that is for anyone outwith the relationship to interfere and try to put a stop to it.

I believe thay should be left to enjoy themselves and hopefully grow and mature together and find out if the relationship has any real long term prospects.

Many men are very immature emotionally until well into their 30's - many females are very emotionally mature at a very young age, therefore there may be more in common than many people are prepared to accept.

I am married to a woman 10 years younger than I am. She was 20 when we met, I was 30, we've just celebrated 15 years of very happily married life. Her friends were horrified at the relationship (especially I was just sorting out a long term relationship with Arthur Guinness and various single malts at the time) - you just never can tell.

Good luck to them.

Mrs Bucket
17-Sep-09, 18:59
Mature 16 year old or immature and irresponsible 36 years old?

WickWitch
17-Sep-09, 19:09
I would be worried if it were my daughter. Mainly because she has so much growing up to do. She can't even legally drink in public and has a whole world to explore. I do think that relationships can work despite huge age differences but at 16 they are still children in the main, despite what they think.

Kodiak
17-Sep-09, 19:12
Now would you all be so up in arms if someone told you that a 46 year old man was going out with a 26 year old Lady. I Suspect not as that is rasther common, but it is still the same age difference, 20 years.

balto
17-Sep-09, 19:38
i personally dont see nothing wrong with it, but lets say it was the other way round a 36 year old woman going with a 16 year old lad would everyone seem so understanding, seems strage a man can be the older partner, but if its the woman that is the older one then people kick of. not a lot of people are happy in their relationships these days so i say doesnt matter the age cap whatever way round it is listen to your heart and be happy.

dragonfly
17-Sep-09, 20:18
Now would you all be so up in arms if someone told you that a 46 year old man was going out with a 26 year old Lady. I Suspect not as that is rasther common, but it is still the same age difference, 20 years.

true point Kodiak but a 16 year old was classed as a child the year before, the 26 year old wasn't

cuddlepop
17-Sep-09, 20:20
There's alot og growing up done between the ages of 16 and 26.
No comparison.:confused

crayola
17-Sep-09, 20:22
I believe thay should be left to enjoy themselves and hopefully grow and mature together and find out if the relationship has any real long term prospects.

Many men are very immature emotionally until well into their 30's - many females are very emotionally mature at a very young age, therefore there may be more in common than many people are prepared to accept.
The chance of a mature 16 year old girl having anything in common with an immature 36 year male a few years down the line is almost zilch. She'd outgrow him emotionally within a year.

i personally dont see nothing wrong with it, but lets say it was the other way round a 36 year old woman going with a 16 year old lad would everyone seem so understanding, seems strage a man can be the older partner, but if its the woman that is the older one then people kick of. not a lot of people are happy in their relationships these days so i say doesnt matter the age cap whatever way round it is listen to your heart and be happy.
I don't know if people would be as tolerant but this is as unlikely to work as the first case.

Let them kid themselves if they like but if a 36 year old male came anywhere near my 16 year old daughter I'd see him off sharpish. He wouldn't appreciate the combination of the end of my broomstick and his nether regions. :eek:

balto
17-Sep-09, 20:22
right im female, but i think men get such a hard time, if they end up with say someone underage, after all some girls these day dress and have makeup on that makes them look so much older than what they are, and if they say meet a man who is older , who they claim to be older than what they are, so lets assume the natural thing happens, and the girls parents find out, the guy gets done for underage sex, but yet he was lied to at the start, how is that fair.

John Baikie
17-Sep-09, 20:30
I think there's something seriously wrong with a guy that age wanting a relationship with a 16 year old.

He can only count himself lucky it isn't my daughter or he wouldn't be much good to her for a very long time, by which time she'd have grown out of him.

*waits for the PC brigade to go crazy*

unicorn
17-Sep-09, 20:42
I have to agree if it was my daughter I would go ballistic, he most certainly would not be welcome at my door.
A 16 year old has their whole life and the whole world ahead of them, I really wish more kids would see that instead of rushing into being "grown up". I remember being that age and wanting to be so grown up now I wish I had taken the time to look at my options when I was free to travel etc.

teenybash
17-Sep-09, 20:48
Many, many moons ago a love story was born when a 16 year old girl fell in love with a 39 year old man and he with her. They married and had children, bringing them up to be strong decent human beings. The lived and loved each other for 40 years until the husband died.
The 16 year old girl is now 93 and still talks about the light of her life, who was her husband.................

Mrs Bucket
17-Sep-09, 21:16
How can anyone condone underage sex as seems to be what some of these replies indicate. That is opening the door for paedophiles for which I think hanging is too good

maverick
17-Sep-09, 21:42

I think your not much of a mate to your mate, the young lady in question,her mother doesn't seem to have any problem with the relationship, both parties are of legal age and consent, this relationship has damn all to do with anyone else and if you were anything of a mate you wouldn't be airing his personal life on a public forum, I get the impression that maybe your a little bit jealous. As for everyone else bare in mind that it's not your 16 year old daughter, and when it is then and only then should you be ready to pass judgement...

joxville
17-Sep-09, 21:45
Legally they are doing nothing wrong so not much I can say on the subject, it's none of my business......nor yours!

Kodiak
17-Sep-09, 21:53
How can anyone condone underage sex as seems to be what some of these replies indicate. That is opening the door for paedophiles for which I think hanging is too good

I do NOT know where you live but here in Scotland 16 is NOT Underage.

16 is the age of Consent so what you are stating is completely incorrect as far as Scotland is concerned and this is where we are Talking about.

Also if you read the first post it says "Going out with" and no mention of Sex.

Gizmo
17-Sep-09, 21:56

Who mentioned underage sex, or condoning it?, the girl mentioned is 16, which is the legal age of consent, so no one is condoning any form of underage sex.

balto
17-Sep-09, 22:06
Who mentioned underage sex, or condoning it?, the girl mentioned is 16, which is the legal age of consent, so no one is condoning any form of underage sex.
that was me just saying how easy it is for a man do get done for this, especially when girls now a days dress and are plastered in makeup to make themselves look so much older, it really is unfair.

John Baikie
17-Sep-09, 22:30
As for everyone else bare in mind that it's not your 16 year old daughter, and when it is then and only then should you be ready to pass judgement...

That's the whole point of someone asking opinion on a forum surely? And I stand by my assessment. I am passing judgement as a parent and someone who thinks a 16 year old is still very much a child.

I'm intrigued by what a 16 year old and a 36 year old talk about? What they can possibly have in common. What do they do together? Does he help her with her homework? What if he wants to watch a movie and it's 18 certificate (i.e adult film)?

Gizmo
17-Sep-09, 22:36
Does he help her with her homework? What if he wants to watch a movie and it's 18 certificate (i.e adult film)?

Seriously, don't be so bloomin' naive

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-09, 22:38
I would at first say live and let live but then I'm being a 'nimby'...............I have a 16 year old daughter and if someone that age took an interest in her I would not be happy. End off thats my mothering instinct kicking in.

John Baikie
17-Sep-09, 22:42
Seriously, don't be so bloomin' naive

I'm not being naive - technically, in the eyes of the law he wouldn't be able to take her to an adult movie at the cinema as she isn't yet an adult.

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-09, 22:45
I'm not being naive - technically, in the eyes of the law he wouldn't be able to take her to an adult movie at the cinema as she isn't yet an adult.

Yes and technically he wouldnt be able to take her out to the pub either ...........have you been out lately the average age must be seventeen :eek:

John Baikie
17-Sep-09, 22:47
Yes and technically he wouldnt be able to take her out to the pub either ...........have you been out lately the average age must be seventeen :eek:

I don't get out much :lol: Too old

Alice in Blunderland
17-Sep-09, 22:48

Me too........:Razz

squidge
17-Sep-09, 22:56
This is a difficult one - it may well stand the test of time but when i was 17 my school friend went out with a man who was 35 - i just thought it was wierd and that he was some kind of dirty old man lol ( old??? poor guy!!!) Having said that she married him They were still married in 2002 which is the last i heard - thats 21 years! Interestingly her own father was about 20 years older than her mother - i hadnt remembered that until now. Also interestingly I am 11 years older than my husband, however i am quite sure that had i met him when he was 16 and I was 27 I wouldnt have fancied him at all. It is right that we shouldnt judge this couple as outsiders looking in but i think its legitimate to say how we would feel if it was our own daughter. I think he will need to be very careful and cautious with the way he takes this relationship forward if it is to last.

Margaret M.
17-Sep-09, 22:57
Granted what these two do is none of my business but if either of my children had dated someone 20 years older than he or she at age 16, I would have borrowed Crayola's broomstick and whittled a nice pointy end on it. A twenty year age difference later in life, when the teen has matured and gained some life experiences, may be a different ball game.

purplelady
17-Sep-09, 23:23
This is a difficult one having had two teenage daugthers and i know how deterninted they can be when they when they want to maybe her mum thinks it will die a death and if it does not then it will work out, and like some have already said what is age my fella is 8yrs younger than me but all i get is good on you lol so why should it not be the same in this situation you cannot live there lifes for them my youngest her man is about 10 yrs older than her and they are happy x

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-09, 23:25
Interesting subject, and good arguments for and against this type of relationship, however I would say it is almost probable to end in tears. It would seem that most people that have a daughter find it disgusting that a man of this age could have a meaningful relationship (and understandingly so) with a girl of such a young age and yet those who have not could be a little more understanding.

I was fifteen when I was (seduced)lol by Mrs M and she was seventeen and we married a year later, I was not even allowed to have a drink at our wedding reception because I was too young. If you wind the clock forward thirty six years, I have had much banter with my youngest son about this subject (and he is now thirty two) and he used to say “if their feet touch the floor when they are sat on the toilet, then they are old enough”, although his daughter,(my granddaughter is now coming up ten) he would bash you on the nose at the very notion that his little sweet girl would be ready to enter the adult world at sixteen .

I have seen very intelligent people make informed decisions about the way forward based on what is considered (right and proper relationships) and have failed miserably, so if these people are operating within the law then let them get on with it and make their own nest or their own mistakes.

Gizmo
17-Sep-09, 23:40

You never said Cinema in your post, i took it to mean watching an 18 certificate movie at home.

Mrs Bucket
18-Sep-09, 07:47
I do NOT know where you live but here in Scotland 16 is NOT Underage.

16 is the age of Consent so what you are stating is completely incorrect as far as Scotland is concerned and this is where we are Talking about.

Also if you read the first post it says "Going out with" and no mention of Sex.
I never said 16 was underage

Mrs Bucket
18-Sep-09, 07:50
Once again I never said 16 was underf age

maverick
18-Sep-09, 09:04
That's the whole point of someone asking opinion on a forum surely? And I stand by my assessment. I am passing judgement as a parent and someone who thinks a 16 year old is still very much a child.

I'm intrigued by what a 16 year old and a 36 year old talk about? What they can possibly have in common. What do they do together? Does he help her with her homework? What if he wants to watch a movie and it's 18 certificate (i.e adult film)?

and I stand by my assessment, no laws have been broken, and what has this relationship got to do with you or the person who started this thread? like I said in my post " its not your 16 year old daughter", the parents of the young lady in question do not have a problem with this relationship so why should you? It's not your concern. I'm sure that if your daughter was in a similar position you wouldn't be posting it on a public forum. Like I said bazeye was not a mate to his mate, this relationship has nothing to do with him and therefor I fail to see his need to ask for opinions on the matter on a public forum. You have like most on this thread no insight to this relationship and if the couple in question are happy, who are you to question that? I am sure that we are all very qualified to pass judgement on people that we don't even know..........NOT..

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 09:22
right im female, but i think men get such a hard time, if they end up with say someone underage, after all some girls these day dress and have makeup on that makes them look so much older than what they are, and if they say meet a man who is older , who they claim to be older than what they are, so lets assume the natural thing happens, and the girls parents find out, the guy gets done for underage sex, but yet he was lied to at the start, how is that fair.

I really can't believe this post, responsibility seems to have been totally forgotten..........it seems that UK society really is defined by the Jeremy Kyle show.

John Baikie
18-Sep-09, 09:23
and I stand by my assessment, no laws have been broken, and what has this relationship got to do with you or the person who started this thread? like I said in my post " its not your 16 year old daughter", the parents of the young lady in question do not have a problem with this relationship so why should you? It's not your concern. I'm sure that if your daughter was in a similar position you wouldn't be posting it on a public forum. Like I said bazeye was not a mate to his mate, this relationship has nothing to do with him and therefor I fail to see his need to ask for opinions on the matter on a public forum. You have like most on this thread no insight to this relationship and if the couple in question are happy, who are you to question that? I am sure that we are all very qualified to pass judgement on people that we don't even know..........NOT..

Sorry but if you don't like opinions which differ from your own, perhaps these forums aren't the best place to be spending your time. There's dozens of threads every day which basically see people giving opinions on events which they are not directly involved. If you don't like them, don't read them. However people are quite entitled to give an opinion.

The couple in question may well be happy, but the fact is she is a child, and that makes his part in it very questionable to me. No amount of political correctness will change that.

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 09:34

The original poster obviously feels uncomfortable with the situation, and has sought the thoughts of others - he may well want to discuss the matter with his mate, who knows. Just because no "laws" have been broken does not mean that everything is "okay".
IMHO anyone who thinks that it is acceptable for a 16 year old girl to be in a relationship with a 36 year old man, needs to take a good look at themselves.........but that is just my opinion.

balto
18-Sep-09, 09:40
I really can't believe this post, responsibility seems to have been totally forgotten..........it seems that UK society really is defined by the Jeremy Kyle show.
right im going to assume you are a male, just by your user name, right lets say you met this girl who you would have thought was in her late teens early twentys and you really took a liking to her and one thing led to another, onl;y for you to discover a few weeks down the line she was only 15 and you were about to be in trouble with the police, your telling me you would be ok with that.

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 09:53
right im going to assume you are a male, just by your user name, right lets say you met this girl who you would have thought was in her late teens early twentys and you really took a liking to her and one thing led to another, onl;y for you to discover a few weeks down the line she was only 15 and you were about to be in trouble with the police, your telling me you would be ok with that.

It would not happen as I would take responsibility for my actions., but assuming it did happen, then YES I deserve to be in trouble for taking advantage of a child.

lorr_mun14
18-Sep-09, 11:06
I personally don't understand why this is being discussed on the org, i feel sorry for the two people concerned having their personal life discussed on an open forum, names or no names, they know who they are. It has been said, this is their business and their lives to do with what they want, i fail to see why it should be of so much interest to so many people!

Bazeye
18-Sep-09, 11:12
I think your not much of a mate to your mate, the young lady in question,her mother doesn't seem to have any problem with the relationship, both parties are of legal age and consent, this relationship has damn all to do with anyone else and if you were anything of a mate you wouldn't be airing his personal life on a public forum, I get the impression that maybe your a little bit jealous. As for everyone else bare in mind that it's not your 16 year old daughter, and when it is then and only then should you be ready to pass judgement...

You dont know the lad in question and he doesnt know you. He doesnt even know this website exists so whats your problem? Do you worry about people who you dont know, or ever met and are never likely to, talking about you? And if you dont think its anyones business, why bother posting replies? And what gave you the impression I was jealous, are you a mindreader or merely judging people on your own standards?

Bazeye
18-Sep-09, 11:16
I personally don't understand why this is being discussed on the org, i feel sorry for the two people concerned having their personal life discussed on an open forum, names or no names, they know who they are. It has been said, this is their business and their lives to do with what they want, i fail to see why it should be of so much interest to so many people!

They are not from Caithness and, more than likely dont even know where Caithness is, let alone this website so your sympathy for them isnt needed.

philupmaboug
18-Sep-09, 11:25
Sorry but if you don't like opinions which differ from your own, perhaps these forums aren't the best place to be spending your time. There's dozens of threads every day which basically see people giving opinions on events which they are not directly involved. If you don't like them, don't read them. However people are quite entitled to give an opinion.

The couple in question may well be happy, but the fact is she is a child, and that makes his part in it very questionable to me. No amount of political correctness will change that.

John your opinion on this forum is relevant to you but if and when your daughter falls in love, be it with a 36 year old a 46 year old or someone your age your opinion won’t matter a jot. You make many assumptions in your posts, you assume you will be able to make a 36 year old lose interest! You assume your daughter will fall in love with a bloke! In my opinion you should be happy when she is happy and love and support her decisions….right or wrong because we have all made them.

AfternoonDelight
18-Sep-09, 11:30
Age shouldn't and doesn't make any difference to love, and it's nobody else's business anyway.

I am the product of an age gap relationship - a very happy and long lasting one... so thank goodness for love being blind!

GOOD LUCK TO THEM!!

maverick
18-Sep-09, 13:08

Mr Bakie you have made an assessment and a judgement your words, that's a wee bit more than an opinion and if you want to post your opinions on a public forum I will reserve the right to challenge them, and if you don't like it then don't read it your words again...

maverick
18-Sep-09, 13:18
You dont know the lad in question and he doesnt know you. He doesnt even know this website exists so whats your problem? Do you worry about people who you dont know, or ever met and are never likely to, talking about you? And if you dont think its anyones business, why bother posting replies? And what gave you the impression I was jealous, are you a mindreader or merely judging people on your own standards?

Like I said previously if you were a mate of his you wouldn't be banding his life about on a public website, and if people are talking about me then it means that they are usually leaving someone else alone, and as for the young lady in question, if her parents have no problem with the relationship why should you, my reason for posting a reply was to simply point out that it has nothing to do with anyone except the couple in question.

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 13:31
Like I said previously if you were a mate of his you wouldn't be banding his life about on a public website, and if people are talking about me then it means that they are usually leaving someone else alone, and as for the young lady in question, if her parents have no problem with the relationship why should you, my reason for posting a reply was to simply point out that it has nothing to do with anyone except the couple in question.

In the original post it does make a statement that the girls mother has met the guy and had no problem..........does not mention her father, and therin may lie the problem.

Bazeye
18-Sep-09, 14:09
In the original post it does make a statement that the girls mother has met the guy and had no problem..........does not mention her father, and therin may lie the problem.

Her mum and dad are divorced. He has not met her father.

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 14:17
I was wrong then, apologies.

Bazeye
18-Sep-09, 14:19

Lets face it hes hardly likely to be logging on to the org and reading about himself, if he doesnt even know of its existence is he? I suppose, by your way of thinking, Patrick Swayzes death shouldnt be discussed on here either, as its nothing to do with anyone except his family and friends. I didnt say I had a "problem" with it I was merely asking for opinions. Thinking shes a bit too young for him does not constitute a problem in my books, its an opinion, not a problem.

balto
18-Sep-09, 14:39
It would not happen as I would take responsibility for my actions., but assuming it did happen, then YES I deserve to be in trouble for taking advantage of a child.
but what if she lied to you and told you she was older than what she was, what then it isnt all the mans fault.

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 16:07
but what if she lied to you and told you she was older than what she was, what then it isnt all the mans fault.

I repeat - I would not get myself in that position, I would make sure I was fully aware of facts before I took any relationship to that stage.

balto
18-Sep-09, 16:41
I repeat - I would not get myself in that position, I would make sure I was fully aware of facts before I took any relationship to that stage.
what by asking for her birth certificate. sorry but anyone could fall inti that trap know matter how much you say you wouldnt, sometimes the heart rules.

scotsboy
18-Sep-09, 17:53
what by asking for her birth certificate. sorry but anyone could fall inti that trap know matter how much you say you wouldnt, sometimes the heart rules.

No anyone couldn't fall into that trap, only people who put themselves in that position could. Ignorance is not a defence.

im behind you
18-Sep-09, 17:54
maybe your wife wont trust you when your out

starry
18-Sep-09, 18:05

I don't think it is the heart that is ruling in that situation.

Cazaa
18-Sep-09, 22:08
I'm intrigued by what a 16 year old and a 36 year old talk about? What they can possibly have in common. What do they do together? Does he help her with her homework?

Not if he's her teacher, I hope! :lol:

I've come to this thread too late, perhaps, but what would the forum think if the gentleman (or indeed any gentleman) were to be dating a 16 year old pupil at his school (not necessarily one of his own pupils)?

squidge
18-Sep-09, 22:27
Ok Balto the issue of underage sex and men being lied to has gone on forever and It will continue to go on. The problem appears to be with the situation that seems to exist today where boys AND girls seem to see sex as simply part of a good night out. They go out have a few beers, dance a bit, get a click and go home together. If a mature man meets a younger girl he has a responsibility to himself to be careful - asking where does she live? who are her friends? who are her parents? what does she do for a living? Does she drive? What does she drive? What time does she have to be home and so on and so on. After all the law is very clear and he should know to err on the side of caution. Sex should not be a commodity - to be bought and paid for with a few drinks and a snog and a feel - it should be a priviledge that has to be earned. Just as we should be teaching our sons that no means no, that women arent asking for it just cos they dress in a sexy manner and that they should always use protection, we should be teaching them to take time to get to know someone before they jump into bed and to BE CAREFUL - to remember that they can be prosecuted for making an incorrect judgement.

We should of course be teaching our girls not to give it away with the cloakroom ticket, not to get themselves into situations that they are not in control of - like alone with a strange man in a back alley, not to get so drunk that they cant even SAY no and to make them absolutely aware that any guy they fancy will soon go off them if they get arrested because she told him she was 16 when she wasnt!!!!

Responsibilty for ourselves is key to all this. Whether boys or girls we have a responsibility for our own well being and for keeping ourselves safe. The tendency to cry "its not MY fault" it far too prevalent these days.

If this 36 year old man is treating the 16 year old with respect, has met and impressed her parents, is not using her badly and is taking his time then I can see why it might - just might not be weird. I STILL Cant imagine being attracted to a 16 year old though. And teachers should not be having relationships with any schoolgirls/boys. Whether they are their pupil or not!

Rheghead
18-Sep-09, 23:07
Frankly any relationship that is more than 10 tears apart is perversely on a natural level. Shame on them...

Plenty more fish in the sea without being a perv?

Boozeburglar
19-Sep-09, 01:04
Huh???

Get a grip man!

How can you say that???

So, for example, a 55 year old woman with a 40 year old man is perverse?

You need to get out more!

;)

joxville
19-Sep-09, 01:11
Frankly any relationship that is more than 10 tears apart is perversely on a natural level. Shame on them...

Both of my sisters married men that are 19 years older than each of them, perhaps they were looking for a father figure in their life because our dad died when we were young, but both marriages are still going strong 20 years later. I was only 4yrs older than my ex-wife, our marriage lasted 9 years. Analyse that. :)

JAWS
19-Sep-09, 03:38
There was a 16 year age gap between my parents and my mother was certainly not an impressionable young girl when she married.
With one set of my grandparents, as far as I can work out, the age gap was more like 30 years.

Both my parents and grandparents were very happily married. In truth, the panic over age differences seems to be a fairly modern attitude probably because so few women now die in childbirth when compared with the distant past.

My concern would not be so much with the age difference but with the young age of the girl herself but I would think that her parents would be able to judge how mentally and emotionally developed she is to deal with such a relationship. (Hell, that’s dangerous ground for me to blunder into, isn’t it ladies?) :eek:

Aaldtimer
19-Sep-09, 03:44

Erm, Rheg, just exactly what the hell does that phrase mean.
I normally enjoy your posts, and am at a complete loss as to your meaning.
If it means what I think it means, I'm really disappointed by your attitude.:confused

abz02
19-Sep-09, 04:16
Hi folks,
I have a daughter at 16 and i'm affraid i think this is wrong, but here is how i see this... The sixteen year old is either very mature for a 16 year old, or the 36 year old is very immature, I'm sorry but that is just wrong,
I think the guy should get a grip of himself

Gizmo
19-Sep-09, 09:15
I was only 4yrs older than my ex-wife, our marriage lasted 9 years. Analyse that. :)

Jox, i'm terribly sorry to break this to you, but it never lasted 9yrs, because you were never married to...and will never be married to, Katie Melua, and you're certainly a lot more than 4yrs older then her. I know it's tough to take in...but you have to be told, maybe you should focus your intentions on a woman more in your league....Jo Brand perhaps? ;) :p

_Ju_
19-Sep-09, 09:20

While if it were my daughter, I would not want her to be in this relationship (call me a nimby, if you want), this is a statemnet I cannot agree with. OK, a 10 (or 16 year) age gap is huge at the age 16. But at 20 (the younger age) it already looks different. As the years progress it becomes less notable and a 10 year age gap at 30 is totally unremarkable. There is nothing at all perverse about a 10 year age gap, in fact most men are immature and not ready to commit untill AT LEAST 35. I would say most women want to have had all their children by 35 at the latest. Right there is a reason why there is usually an age gap with the man being the elder.

PS: The reason a 36 year old might seek the company of a nubile 16 year old? Andropause, of course. Midlife crisis..... that is why there is still a huge market in red BMW convertables.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
19-Sep-09, 12:40
I have relations who have a 30 year gap and the young lady was about 20 when they got married- they must be at least 15 years married and very happy ..... so who's to say - depends on the individuals....

there's 13 years between me and my husband and i'm the young un!!

Kodiak
19-Sep-09, 13:06

I am Now Very Angry as you have Just Insulted my Whole Family and this Statement is the most Disrespecting I have ever read and you should apologise for making it.

Both my Parents and Mrs Kodiak Parents had a large Age Gap. My Father was 16 Years older than my Mother. Mrs Kodiaks Father was 18 Years older than her Mother. Both Marriages lasted well past 45 Years right on until one of them passed away.

You are calling not only my Father but my Wifes Father a Perv and I RESENT that Highly, so I call on you to Puplicly Apologise NOW !!!!

Bazeye
19-Sep-09, 13:24
Its not the age difference thats the issue. Its the age difference and the age,so I think youll be waiting a long time for your apology. I might be wrong though.

Bazeye
19-Sep-09, 13:29
I have relations who have a 30 year gap and the young lady was about 20 when they got married- they must be at least 15 years married and very happy

Congrats to them but 20 is not 16.

Leanne
19-Sep-09, 14:37
My friend is now 26 and married with a 9 year old boy. She met her partner when she was 17 and he was 42! She was very insecure in the relationship to start with as he was out clubbing (age limit 25 for entry) and she didn't look old enough to get in. As a result of them not socialising together she got more and more insecure about the relationship and when she fell pregnant rumours flew that she had done it to trap him. With credit to the bloke he married her.

She is now 26 and feels like she has lost out on a lot of her youth - by the time she was old enough to go "proper" clubbing (not the cheesy rubbish clubs that let 17 year olds in...) he was too old to be interested any more. By this point all of her friends who she used to go out with (and hadnt for a long time because of the child) had now started to settle down and were less interested in going out on the town.

She is a lonely girl - she has a completely different life to her friends of her teens now and finds herself being friends with the wives of her husbands friends (who are in their 50s). She has very little in common with these ladies apart from having a husband who is over 50 :(

She has said to me lots of times that she wishes she hadn't got involved with a guy so much older but as she has a son with him she has to stay with him. She says she still loves him but has nothing in common with him. It's a shame...

What the 16 year old girls need to do is imagine what their life is going to be like in 10, 15 or 20 years; when they are still fit and active but their partner is coming up to retirement. Age differences can work but the person who is the youngest needs to be fully developed emotionally for it to work long term. Or be willing to sacrifice a part of their youth if they don't want it to end.

maverick
19-Sep-09, 16:00
Lets face it hes hardly likely to be logging on to the org and reading about himself, if he doesnt even know of its existence is he? I suppose, by your way of thinking, Patrick Swayzes death shouldnt be discussed on here either, as its nothing to do with anyone except his family and friends. I didnt say I had a "problem" with it I was merely asking for opinions. Thinking shes a bit too young for him does not constitute a problem in my books, its an opinion, not a problem.

By the very fact that you mention " she's a bit to young for him", suggests to me that you do have a problem with this relationship, after all you started a thread on it,looking for opinions on the subject. why? Patrick Swayze passed away, people are offering condolence to his family and friends, discussing his many achievements, paying their last respects. not trying to turn his memory into some kind of perverse debacle. Can you see the difference? you just can't comprehend that a 16 year old girl who has a relationship with a 36 year old man, doesn't have anything to do with you. You say that he is one of your mates by that I assume that he is a friend, with friends like you who needs enemies...

MrsK
19-Sep-09, 16:19
I'm sure all those on here who are giving Bazeye a hard time and waffling on about freedom of choice would be delighted if a 16 year old daughter of theirs came home with a bloke in his mid-30's.......:roll:

"Come in, sit down, how lovely to see you. We're so pleased you're both together"...yeah, right.[lol]

crayola
19-Sep-09, 17:55
I am Now Very Angry as you have Just Insulted my Whole Family and this Statement is the most Disrespecting I have ever read and you should apologise for making it.

Both my Parents and Mrs Kodiak Parents had a large Age Gap. My Father was 16 Years older than my Mother. Mrs Kodiaks Father was 18 Years older than her Mother. Both Marriages lasted well past 45 Years right on until one of them passed away.

You are calling not only my Father but my Wifes Father a Perv and I RESENT that Highly, so I call on you to Puplicly Apologise NOW !!!!
Melancholy Man used to call this passive agression. I think he was half right. It's not at all passive.

butterfly
19-Sep-09, 18:27
I'm sure all those on here who are giving Bazeye a hard time and waffling on about freedom of choice would be delighted if a 16 year old daughter of theirs came home with a bloke in his mid-30's.......:roll:

"Come in, sit down, how lovely to see you. We're so pleased you're both together"...yeah, right.[lol]

Aye!It may well be a different story then!

Vistravi
19-Sep-09, 18:37

Your statement is insulting to anyone on here that is older than this lass when they got married or started seeing soemone 10 years and more older than them.

Not everyone decides at 16 that this is going to happen and how its going to happen. To assume that a age gap of 10 years is pervy when say a lass is 20 and she starts seeing a 30 or 40 year old is out of line.

Honestly 16 year olds esparate me sometimes. They don't know what's going to happen to them in life and they certainly don't realise that you maybe not be with the person they are seeing then for the rest of their lives. We only have to look at a certain young orger on here to see the logic that these young adults have.

katarina
19-Sep-09, 19:51
Well i certainly wouldn't like my 16 yr old going out with a man old enough to be her father! It is not the age gap that is the problem, just the fact that at 16 the girl still has a lot of growing up to do, If she had reached the grand old age of 26 then it would be different. I feel there is something lacking in a man whom does not feel confident enough to have a relationship with a woman and has to look for a mere child. Because at the end of the day, that is all she is. for goodness sake, she's probably still in school uniform!

joxville
19-Sep-09, 20:42
Jox, i'm terribly sorry to break this to you, but it never lasted 9yrs, because you were never married to...and will never be married to, Katie Melua, and you're certainly a lot more than 4yrs older then her. I know it's tough to take in...but you have to be told, maybe you should focus your intentions on a woman more in your league....Jo Brand perhaps? ;) :p

I almost good repped you for this, that was until the Jo Brand comment. :(

joxville
19-Sep-09, 20:48

Too all those who are offended by this post may I offer some words of advice: GET OVER IT. [disgust]

I don't agree with Rheghead's statement but he's entitled to his opinion. I'll be disappointed with him if he does apologise.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
19-Sep-09, 21:00
Congrats to them but 20 is not 16.

YEAH - BUT................. they got MARRIED at 20 - had been going out obviously when she was younger....... I just didn't know the exact age so didn't want to put on if I was wrong....

Margaret M.
19-Sep-09, 21:02

Good grief, Kodiak, you are very touchy. If that is Rheghead's opinion, so be it, why are you getting so upset? I see no need for him to apologise for feeling the way he does. I married a guy who is 11 years older than I and Rheggie's right, he was a pervert, just kidding, ha ha.

As for citing examples of marriages lasting for donkeys years, it doesn't mean diddly. Divorce was a disgrace in those days so a couple would stay together even if they detested each other. Some are still reluctant to divorce -- they think they cannot make it on their own financially, etc. When I separated from the perv :D, I was floored by the number of women who said they envied me and wished they could do the same -- women in marriages that I thought were strong and happy.

Dadie
19-Sep-09, 21:05
By the time this has all been discussed to death, the relationship may very well be over because most 16 year olds cant stand the idea that the bf you drag home to shock the parents didnt work!

Plan failed!

butterfly
19-Sep-09, 21:06
Too all those who are offended by this post may I offer some words of advice: GET OVER IT. [disgust]

I don't agree with Rheghead's statement but he's entitled to his opinion. I'll be disappointed with him if he does apologise.

Have to agree with you there Jox,he is entitled to his opinion.Some folk just take things too personal!

Vistravi
19-Sep-09, 21:26
Well i certainly wouldn't like my 16 yr old going out with a man old enough to be her father! It is not the age gap that is the problem, just the fact that at 16 the girl still has a lot of growing up to do, If she had reached the grand old age of 26 then it would be different. I feel there is something lacking in a man whom does not feel confident enough to have a relationship with a woman and has to look for a mere child. Because at the end of the day, that is all she is. for goodness sake, she's probably still in school uniform!

You've hit it bang on ;)

Live and let live and we can't help who we fall in love with but what exactly do 16 year olds know about love?

No offence intended to anyone but I think many 15,16,17 and sometimes 18 year olds have no idea about love and life in general. I have heard many 15/16 year olds say they want a baby and say we'll be together forever. What is the deal with kids wanting to grow up so soon? I honestly think that most 15/16/17 year olds have no idea the difference between lust and love.

At 16 i had no idea what true love was and certainly didn't think i'd be here where i am now or would never have believed i could have surrived what i did at that age.

I'm a cynic in alot of things but from what i can remember of feeling like as a 15/16 year old i would say they are clueless.

squidge
19-Sep-09, 21:48
At 16 i had no idea what true love was and certainly didn't think i'd be here where i am now or would never have believed i could have surrived what i did at that age.

I'm a cynic in a lot of things but from what i can remember of feeling like as a 15/16 year old i would say they are clueless.

The thing is Vistravi that Its only when you get to 40 you know that love neither lasts forever nor conquers all. At 16 You are sure that it does both those things. Falling in love at 16 is often first love - all consuming, of course it will last forever for how on EARTH could you even LIVE if this boy was not in your life? We can all sit here as grown ups and poo poo the intensity of the feelings of teenagers but they are as real to them at 16 as any they think we feel. Looking at love through the benefit of hindsight is easy for us "oldies" but cant you and everyone else remember how utterly desperately you loved when you were in your teens and how when it ended you thought you would just die? This 16 year old may well feel about this man like that. Try telling her that she doesnt know what love is and it will pass and i will guarantee you will get nowhere. IT might not be the real deep and lasting love that you find when you are older but she doesnt know that

twiglet
19-Sep-09, 21:51
In my experience it doesn't work with more than a 10 year age gap but then it does depend on the personalities involved. My cousin is married to someone who has children older than her and is 2 years older than her father. She seems very happy and they have been together for quite a few years but then she was in her early 20's when they got together and knew what she was getting herself into.

maverick
19-Sep-09, 22:09
The original poster obviously feels uncomfortable with the situation, and has sought the thoughts of others - he may well want to discuss the matter with his mate, who knows. Just because no "laws" have been broken does not mean that everything is "okay".
IMHO anyone who thinks that it is acceptable for a 16 year old girl to be in a relationship with a 36 year old man, needs to take a good look at themselves.........but that is just my opinion.

Ok scotsboy I have had a good look at myself, and nope I don't have a problem with this relationship I think it's perfectly acceptable, a relationship is generally between 2 people unless one or the other decide to involve others, I don't believe that this has happened in this case. In certain cultures women women as young as 13/14 are sold into relationships, at least this couple have had freedom of choice to make their own decisions. This relationship may die a death tomorrow who knows, but until then we should respect their freedoms. I for one would not hesitate to tell someone where the bus stops and where to get off should I feel that the person was intruding/encroaching on my relationship, relationships are personal things and I believe should be respected as such, I do respect that as a parent you have the right to air your opinions to your own offspring where their relationships are concerned, but when it comes to others you should mind your own...

Vistravi
19-Sep-09, 22:14
The thing is Vistravi that Its only when you get to 40 you know that love neither lasts forever nor conquers all. At 16 You are sure that it does both those things. Falling in love at 16 is often first love - all consuming, of course it will last forever for how on EARTH could you even LIVE if this boy was not in your life? We can all sit here as grown ups and poo poo the intensity of the feelings of teenagers but they are as real to them at 16 as any they think we feel. Looking at love through the benefit of hindsight is easy for us "oldies" but cant you and everyone else remember how utterly desperately you loved when you were in your teens and how when it ended you thought you would just die? This 16 year old may well feel about this man like that. Try telling her that she doesnt know what love is and it will pass and i will guarantee you will get nowhere. IT might not be the real deep and lasting love that you find when you are older but she doesnt know that

Have to admit squidge that at 16 i wasn't looking for love nor any man. Just wasn't interested then. All the boys i knew then were just simply immature ;)

I never found love untill i was 19. I knew the difference at 17 to 18 years old between love and lust but by 18 i'd left the naive child behind and saw the world for what it is. I honestly feel like i had forgotten what it felt like to love someone after i lost my dad to cancer and my mum briefly to grief. I felt alone in the world and turned my heart to ice. My partner came along and thawed the ice and reminded me of how to love someone again. He may not be the man i stay with forever (as you just never know) but he has helped me in ways that he will never know during that difficult time.

I agree though that the 16 year old may not think that the love she has for the man may pass and go but she thinks its real and as long as she thinks that then there is no telling her or anyone her age.

John Baikie
19-Sep-09, 22:23
I'd just like to point out that I, like most folk on here, do not have a problem with age gaps in relationships. It's not a problem at all in normal circumstances.

However a 36 year old man going out with a child is NOT normal.

highlander
19-Sep-09, 22:32

I totally agree with with what u say, very well said

Boozeburglar
19-Sep-09, 22:42
My partner is two months short of twenty years younger than me, and I am not yet 42. I don't consider myself a pervert. I feel we are both pretty mature, maybe she more so.

No big deal.

maverick
19-Sep-09, 22:49
just a thought your wife/husband, partner/spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend will always be someone's child..............

countrychic
19-Sep-09, 22:56
I'd just like to point out that I, like most folk on here, do not have a problem with age gaps in relationships. It's not a problem at all in normal circumstances.

However a 36 year old man going out with a child is NOT normal.
could you clarify what normal circumstances would be and at what age do you stop being a child.

John Baikie
19-Sep-09, 23:12
could you clarify what normal circumstances would be and at what age do you stop being a child.

When they are an adult. i.e. when they are allowed to vote, drink, watch adult films in cinema etc.

countrychic
19-Sep-09, 23:23
When they are an adult. i.e. when they are allowed to vote, drink, watch adult films in cinema etc.
thank you for that John, so if your daughter at 18 was to come home with a boyfriend of 38 that would be ok, and lets say that the couple at 16 and 36 were to get married later on and were to approach you to do their wedding photo's would you accept the commission or reject it on principle?

Gizmo
19-Sep-09, 23:30

So you set your beliefs on what makes an adult by rules in law...in this country?, and what if they decided to change the age at which you could vote/drink to 21, would every 20 year old now be considered a child in your eyes?, and remember, a 16yr old can get married, something that's quite "Adult"

John Baikie
19-Sep-09, 23:38
thank you for that John, so if your daughter at 18 was to come home with a boyfriend of 38 that would be ok, and lets say that the couple at 16 and 36 were to get married later on and were to approach you to do their wedding photo's would you accept the commission or reject it on principle?

Ha Ha nice one. Well that is totally irrelevant tbh. This thread is about opinions as to whether we think a 36 year old man going out with a child is right or wrong. If my daughter was 18 I would have totally different view actually, yes. Hope that answers your questions.

John Baikie
19-Sep-09, 23:41
So you set your beliefs on what makes an adult by rules in law...in this country?, and what if they decided to change the age at which you could vote/drink to 21, would every 20 year old now be considered a child in your eyes?, and remember, a 16yr old can get married, something that's quite "Adult"

My beliefs, are that there is something seriously wrong with a 36 year old going out with a child. Maybe you don't agree, but that is my opinion and judging by the rest of this thread I am not alone in my thought, although I am alone at being the only one brave enough to put my real name on my posts.
:D

joxville
19-Sep-09, 23:48
My beliefs, are that there is something seriously wrong with a 36 year old going out with a child. Maybe you don't agree, but that is my opinion and judging by the rest of this thread I am not alone in my thought, although I am alone at being the only one brave enough to put my real name on my posts.

Whether it's right or wrong is for the man, the girl and her parents to decide, not you, me or anyone else, this thread is the usual Caithness muck raking. [disgust]

I'm Joe Fell, I'm outa here. ;)

Gizmo
19-Sep-09, 23:48

Are you afraid of answering the question that i asked you in the thread that has mysteriously vanished?, it was a valid question, as in my opinion it makes you slightly hypocritical in your view of age gap relationships.

19-Sep-09, 23:52
A number of posts have been removed as private information is not to be given out by anyone other than the person to whom the details belong.

John Baikie
19-Sep-09, 23:53
I did answer your question but my reply also disappeared :D

And actually it was totally wrong, and was about 2 years out of date and 10 years the wrong side of my point ;)

maverick
19-Sep-09, 23:57

John you have defended your corner admirably, our only disagreement is where the child stops and the woman start's so we shall just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

John Baikie
19-Sep-09, 23:59
Since this thread has become a bit personal due to me using my own name, I'm not posting any more.I've made my points and stick by them. I could be wrong, but we all obviously have different opinions on it and should respect that. Not much point banging on about it forever as my opinion isn't going to change and either is that of the folk who think this is okay.

John Baikie
20-Sep-09, 00:12
John you have defended your corner admirably, our only disagreement is where the child stops and the woman start's so we shall just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

That's fair enough. Each to their own. I wish everyone could see that it is possible to have different opinions on a subject without anybody necessarily being 'right'.

Gizmo
20-Sep-09, 00:21

That's the problem i have as well, i've met some 16yr old girls who have a 25yr old head on them, and i've also met some of Junior Gizmos 16yr old girlfriends, who you would think are still in primary school. You just can't label every 16yr old as a child, they are young adults, and a lot of them are more than capable of making the right decisions for themselves.

Anne x
20-Sep-09, 00:49
must be honest have not read the first 4 pages of this thread
I am 6 yrs older than my partner feel that is suffice
I would be really concerned if it was my child with such a age gap maybe a father figure thing something lacking somewhere
The older person why have a kid as a partner and the kid why a much older man
As someone said each to there own and who knows
It may work but have my doubts then again who am I to judge anyone

joxville
20-Sep-09, 10:27
Edit
who am I to judge anyone
You're the org's Cheryl Cole. :cool:

PS That is a compliment.

Leanne
20-Sep-09, 10:40
Have to admit squidge that at 16 i wasn't looking for love nor any man. Just wasn't interested then. All the boys i knew then were just simply immature ;)

I think that is where it all stems from - boys at 16 are very immature (compared to girls) and as a result go for someone older. The only downside of this is the type guy who is on the same mental level of a 16 year old girl tends to be quite immature and soon outgrown when said 16 year old matures.

and remember, a 16yr old can get married, something that's quite "Adult"

A 16 year old can get married with their parents permission - not without until they are 18.

Edit - Forgot I'm living in Scotland with Scottish laws ;) I was one of those 16 year old who threatened to elope to Gretna...

joxville
20-Sep-09, 10:47
I was one of those 16 year old who threatened to elope to Gretna...

To paraphrase the Grease song:

Tell me more, tell me more did he put up a fight? [lol]

Leanne
20-Sep-09, 10:53
To paraphrase the Grease song:

Tell me more, tell me more did he put up a fight? [lol]

No but my parents did! I'm so glad I didn't now as the guy is a bit of a waster now with no ambition... I finally found the man of my dreams at 29 - I kissed a lot of frogs to find one worthy of my devotion ;)

joxville
20-Sep-09, 13:34
I finally found the man of my dreams at 29

Are you sure? You haven't met me yet! :D

Leanne
20-Sep-09, 15:41
Are you sure? You haven't met me yet! :D

Judging from your AV you're not my type ;)

chuckie
29-Sep-09, 22:59
I have been with my husband for 10 years, and we have a age gap of 21 years, and we met when I was 21.

We have children and tbh I wouldnt want anyone younger or nearer my age, he has has better qualities than alot of blokes my age.

I consider us living proof that age gaps can work, I dont see why age matters, as long as they are the legal age 16 or older. Age is but a number, it depends on the people involved there maturity or what they have in common.

My family were conserned to begin with but as time went on they realised how much he loved me and that we were serious about making a life together they soon accepted the fact.

I believe if your happy why does any one on the outside matter!!!!!!

ShelleyCowie
29-Sep-09, 23:26
My OH is only 7 years older than me. (sometimes i think my maturity age is older than his) But age never bothered us! There were a few people who said it was too much, not to me! I love him and he loves me! Thats all that matters! :D

joxville
29-Sep-09, 23:28
Judging from your AV you're not my type ;)

What's my AV? :eek:

Last time I checked I was O Rh D POS. :D

Alice in Blunderland
29-Sep-09, 23:31
No but my parents did! I'm so glad I didn't now as the guy is a bit of a waster now with no ambition... I finally found the man of my dreams at 29 - I kissed a lot of frogs to find one worthy of my devotion ;)

Are you sure? You haven't met me yet!

Yes Jox I think she may have met you ...... ;) Note the bit in red I highlighted for you. :lol:

joxville
29-Sep-09, 23:48
Yes Jox I think she may have met you ...... ;) Note the bit in red I highlighted for you. :lol:
But I'm Scottish, not French. :)

Leanne
30-Sep-09, 18:58
What's my AV? :eek:

Last time I checked I was O Rh D POS. :D

Well I work in the blood bank and have never heard it referred to as an AV before. I'm A Rh D Pos.

Who is in your avatar??

I doubt we have had a drunken snog as I've not been in the area long enough unfortunately ;)

joxville
30-Sep-09, 21:41
Well I work in the blood bank and have never heard it referred to as an AV before. I'm A Rh D Pos.

Who is in your avatar??

I doubt we have had a drunken snog as I've not been in the area long enough unfortunately ;)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6720/facepalmy.jpg

Amy-Winehouse
01-Oct-09, 16:17
I meet my husband when i was 19 he was 28 alot of folk thought that was a big age gap !! Nout to do with anyone else but it is quite a big age gap but if there happy then thats the main thing, Quite surprised at the mother of the girl being ok with it though my mother wasnt to impressed at first when i told her the age at my then boyfriend lol she got over it though lol :Razz

Dadie
01-Oct-09, 19:09
Parents have an wealth of ammo to use against unsuitable suitors stealthily!
1. Baby photos
2. Boyfriends have to call at the house for "friendly" interegation before allowing daughter out.
3. Not allowed out before homework is done
4. The contraception "chat" with the boyfriend casually asking if they had many partners beforehand and the idea of health checks.
5. Dont show that you dont approve but always keep communications open so you dont end up not knowing who or where they are!
6. Dont ever have the told you so lecture when things go wrong!
7. Curfews especially on school nights ..... grounding when not adhered to!

Mum / Dad / Gran used these tactics on us... will use them on mine when the time comes:lol:

mumof2
02-Oct-09, 21:58
ha ha although we have the same parents they never ever tried any of the above with me! don't think it would've worked anyway. i met my OH when i was 16 and he was 23 and parents never seemed bothered (well they never said anything to suggest they were) i am sooooo glad they never had the "talk" with me either. OMG i can just imagine my mums face ha ha ha! anyhoo all worked out fine in the end, still together 10 years on and with 2 particularly brill kids so haven't had to have the i told you so talk either. in fact now i think about it all three of us sisters have hubbys a bitty older than us. parentals had probably given up by the time i became a teen having already been through it twice already :L