PDA

View Full Version : No Bake Chewy Bars

cockerel
12-Sep-09, 18:23
1 Tablespoon syrup
1 Tablespoon treacle. If you only have syrup, it's ok.
I've made it using either or both and it's still yummy

2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
3 oz brown sugar
3 oc crushed cornflakes
9 oz muesli (I use LIDLs)

Put syrup, treacle and brown sugar in fairly large saucepan.
Heat 'till just boiling. Add peanut butter, stir quickly then add muesli and crushed cornflakes, making sure it's well mixed
Place in a well greased swiss-roll tin. Leave to cool.
Using a sharp knife, cut into squares.

I sometimes add chopped dates/apricots/ coconut to the mix, depending what I have in my baking box. Melted chocolate spread on top is an added treat. ENJOY

Bobinovich
13-Sep-09, 00:25
Thanks for that - might give it a try with the kids! Has anyone got any really tasty Flapjack recipies for us to do? Soft & chewy rather than hard & crunchy :D

badger
13-Sep-09, 17:17
Can't give you recipe Bob as tend to make it up as I go along but I do find they go softer and chewier if kept for a while in a plastic box rather than eaten straight away.

liz19
13-Sep-09, 23:36
Thanks for that - might give it a try with the kids! Has anyone got any really tasty Flapjack recipies for us to do? Soft & chewy rather than hard & crunchy :D

Look on the back of porridge oats boxes or bags they sometimes have recipe on I have tried it and it is nice and chewy and sticky the "kids" will love it :lol:

Bobinovich
14-Sep-09, 00:04
Thanks for that - unfortunately my current box of porridge has Ham & Sweetcorn Cobbler :eek:. Yeah, I thought' I'd misread it or got the wrong box out of the cupboard too!

I'll take a look next time I'm shopping &, if I find one, I'll take a photo of the recipie with my phone :lol:

ks
21-Sep-09, 10:53

Flapjacks

Ingredients:
175g (6oz) butter
175g (6oz) demerara sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
225g (8oz) porridge oats

1. Heat the oven to 160°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
Put the tin on some baking parchment and use
a pencil to draw around it. Cut out the rectangle
of parchment.

2. Add the butter, sugar and syrup to a saucepan
and heat gently until the butter has melted.
Then take off heat.

3. Stir in the oats and stir everything together.
Spoon the mixture into the tin and spread it out.
Smooth the the top with the back of the spoon.

4. Put the tin on the middle shelf of the oven and
bake for 25 minutes. Take it out of the oven , leave
it for ten minutes to cool. Then, cut the mixture into
pieces.

These are super chewy and delicious!

Bobinovich
22-Sep-09, 22:18
Thanks KS but after Liz19's suggestion I did as I said and took a photo of the porridge box recipie while in Tesco (when aisle was empty of course lol) and the kids & I tried it out today. Not half bad I must admit and SOOOO simple :D. In fact gonna be a devil, make a cuppa and have one right now!

unicorn
22-Sep-09, 22:26
Ok bob spill your recipe cos every time I make flapjacks they are an unmitigated disaster and even the dogs refuse them ...........hmmmm.

Bobinovich
22-Sep-09, 22:49
125g butter or cooking margarine
125g demerara sugar
5 tbsp golden syrup
225g porridge oats
(the box recipie says you can add 1tsp ground ginger - I didn't bother)

Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5, & grease a 20cm tin (didn't have so I used a 12" x 8" tin)

Melt butter in large pan, stir in sugar & syrup. Stir in the oats & mix well (add ginger here if using).

Pour into tin & using back of metal spoon spread over evenly the base of the tin (I had a 2nd tin the same size so greased the bottom and pressed it down on the first - result!).

Bake for 20 mins, cool for 15 mins in the tin, then score into 8 (or as many as you want depending on your preferred size of slice!). Cool completely, turn out & break into your slices (I got 16 bits 1.5" x 4" x approx. 1/4" thick) out of my tin size.

Njoy! :lol: