PDA

View Full Version : Evolutionary changes before your very eyes.

Rheghead
11-Sep-09, 18:16
I think this experiment proves that new species do evolve quite quickly given certain circumstances which provide pressure to make a change. I bet it has creationists squirming for answers.:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

_Ju_
11-Sep-09, 18:36
I don't think creationist have ever been bothered with little things like scientific proof.......mere details that we are misinterpreting would be the view, I believe.

katarina
12-Sep-09, 11:07
why haven't we, who live in the north of scotland, developed webbed feet then?

dafi
12-Sep-09, 11:11
Cos you have shoes on your feet all the time?

scotsboy
12-Sep-09, 11:20
I think this experiment proves that new species do evolve quite quickly given certain circumstances which provide pressure to make a change. I bet it has creationists squirming for answers.:lol:

I would imagine a creationist would simply answer that God created life which is capable of evolving.

tonkatojo
12-Sep-09, 11:23

I don't think Doun Reay really made those sort of defects, also the good ole welly has saved us as well. ;)

David Banks
12-Sep-09, 12:14

wellies.......

Leanne
12-Sep-09, 12:37
I fully agree with you but quoting Wikipedia is probably the worst argument you could give. Articles can be written by anyone and are not assessed for accuracy. Have a search on the Cochrane database for fully peer reviewed information and you will find you can blow the Creationist out of the water :)

canuck
12-Sep-09, 13:31
It would be interesting to take the evolved product out of its new environment and return it to its original environment. Would it devolve to the old organism or evolve into yet a new one which has adapted in a new way to its surroundings?

northener
12-Sep-09, 13:34
I think I'm growing fins.......

Rheghead
12-Sep-09, 14:12
I would imagine a creationist would simply answer that God created life which is capable of evolving.

Good point but unlikely as creationists tend to believe the literal message of the Bible.

Rheghead
12-Sep-09, 14:38

Even evolution based on Lamarkian principles wouldn't cause that.

Rheghead
12-Sep-09, 14:41
It would be interesting to take the evolved product out of its new environment and return it to its original environment. Would it devolve to the old organism or evolve into yet a new one which has adapted in a new way to its surroundings?

I think they did the next best thing, they mixed some of the original stock with the evolved strain to see how they competed against each other. No prizes for guessing what happened.

scotsboy
12-Sep-09, 15:18
Good point but unlikely as creationists tend to believe the literal message of the Bible.

Totally disagree.

_Ju_
12-Sep-09, 17:32
Do you "totally disagree" that it is a good point or that creationists take the bible literally, Scotsboy?

scotsboy
12-Sep-09, 18:32
Do you "totally disagree" that it is a good point or that creationists take the bible literally, Scotsboy?

I disagree that all creationists (or even a majority of creationists) take the Bible literally.

redeyedtreefrog
12-Sep-09, 18:38
Please don't turn this thread into an argument, I dont think that is what it's for.

northener
12-Sep-09, 18:53
Actually, I quite like these fins.....

canuck
12-Sep-09, 19:13
I disagree that all creationists (or even a majority of creationists) take the Bible literally.

Some of this discussion depends on the definition of the word 'creationist'. If by it we mean believe in creation, that is, the initiation of life from a source outside human creative potential, then I too am a creationist. I also just as strongly believe in evolution, the changing of DNA within an organism in response to its environment, of which some changes make the organism more viable within that environment.

I remind readers that the Bible is not a biology textbook. The Genesis creation story is written in ancient Hebrew poetic form and is meant to be a poem full of images, and feelings and love notes.

Saveman
12-Sep-09, 21:15
Please don't turn this thread into an argument, I dont think that is what it's for.

Then you don't know Rheghead :)

gleeber
12-Sep-09, 23:36
I think this experiment proves that new species do evolve quite quickly given certain circumstances which provide pressure to make a change. I bet it has creationists squirming for answers.

That's a bit of a gimick Rheghead and you probably know it. Even Saveman who is not related to monkeys noticed it. ;)
The whole secret of evolution is the length of time it takes for the process to happen. Millions upon millions of years. Evolutions still happening otherwise we would still be sending kids up lums or persecuting homosexuals. There's no doubt it's happening faster nowadays because of the accessability of knowledge and the effect knowledge may have on human beings. another 5 million years and we may be walking on water. :lol:
Religions had a difficult time since science became the new religion but Canucks posts are testemant to the fact that religions not dead and there's something just as important for human beings in faith as there may be in fact.
I went to a talk in a church earlier this year and the speaker was a self confessed creationist. He beleived God made everything in 6 days and rested on the seventh. He has a big support in the faith world.
For me, I just have to look at a monkey to see the family resemblance.[lol]

Moira
12-Sep-09, 23:54
.....Religions had a difficult time since science became the new religion .....
This has been proved? :confused

Aaldtimer
13-Sep-09, 02:43
Sorry Gleeber, can't let this pass..."sending kids up lums or persecuting homosexuals"...absolutely nothing to do with evolution!:roll:

Boozeburglar
13-Sep-09, 02:51
"I bet it has creationists squirming for answers"

Right there is your starter for ten..

Of course he wants an argument!

:)

_Ju_
13-Sep-09, 07:41
The whole secret of evolution is the length of time it takes for the process to happen. Millions upon millions of years.

The time in evolution is measured in generations. Evolution happens when there are small changes to DNA from "parent" to "offspring" that make small physical/physiological changes that give an advantage. That advantage is then magnified in sucessive generations of more sucessful individuals. If your generation is measured in minutes, with 500 generations in the space of 75 days, you are going to have measurable differences. Especially with simple organisms such as bacteria where fatal mutations are less likely.

gleeber
13-Sep-09, 09:26
Sorry Gleeber, can't let this pass..."sending kids up lums or persecuting homosexuals"...absolutely nothing to do with evolution!:roll:
Consider this Aaldtimer. Physically we evolved from monkeys. I know its a simple analogy but grasp it for a moment. Are you suggesting psychologically we dont evolve?

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-09, 11:02
Since moving to Caithness three and half years ago I half become fatter, does that mean I have evolved in order to deal with the colder weather we get this far north?. :roll:

Phill
13-Sep-09, 11:52
The Bible is quite clear:

"(b) In assessing point (e) in 1 above, it is to be assumed that the path of the ball before interception would have continued after interception, irrespective of whether the ball might have pitched subsequently or not."

Amen