PDA

View Full Version : what makes you mad when driving

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 18:23
My wife was driving home from wick today with me and our young daughter in the car, when suddenly the woman in front braked really hard with no indication causing my wife had to brake severely. ( causing distress to our daughter & my poor wee tropical fish that i had just bought)
It then became apparent to us that she was talking on the phone and though she had missed her turn off. She then took the turn off a little further on and was still yapping on the phone and never even indicated that she was turning. now that makes me really mad[mad]

connieb19
01-Apr-06, 18:36
What really annoys me is when the car in front is going really slow, until you go to overtake, and then they speed up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!![mad] [mad]

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 18:56
Female in general, Elderly in particular. [evil]

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 19:04
My biggest problem is with young boy racers. They pass my house at 50+ as it is a streight road. Never thinking that a driver on the other side may be doing an overtaking manouver can and has caused many deaths

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 19:07

the male drivers are have biggest problem cos the seem to think only they can drive, yet its a well know fact that they have more accidents than women.
atleast women can admit that there are faults from both men and women[mad]

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 19:13
I knew I set myself up for a load of bad replies over this but EVERY time I have had an issue with a persons driving, it was always a female. I think most female drivers are as good as male drivers BUT not all.

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 19:15
I knew I set myself up for a load of bad replies over this but EVERY time I have had an issue with a persons driving, it was always a female. I think most female drivers are as good as male drivers BUT not all.

like i said there are good and bad on both sides i have had a few near miss's due to female drivers but i have had direct hits by male drivers[disgust]

clash67
01-Apr-06, 19:25
next time your driving around town just count how many people dont use their indicators, dont even have the common curtousy to let other road users know their intentions!! Grrrrr

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 19:33
Having been driving since 1967, I have never had an accident (touch wood). This I think is due to my line of thinking of keeping an outlook of 100yds around my vehicle. This is my safe space and anything entering it is an obsticle or possibly an obstruction. Anyone else have this train of thought wehn driving?

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 19:37
Having been driving since 1967, I have never had an accident (touch wood). This I think is due to my line of thinking of keeping an outlook of 100yds around my vehicle. This is my safe space and anything entering it is an obsticle or possibly an obstruction. Anyone else have this train of thought wehn driving?

i quite agree with your line of thinking, but each time i have been hit my car has been stationery or parked

landmarker
01-Apr-06, 19:40
Rear fog lights in clear weather make my blood boil.
Though the mobile phone menace is gradually creeping up on this.
Mostly young women, in expensive cars. They make me sick, and need a one vehicle accident with a brick wall to change their ways. Were I a traffic cop I would make it my business to wage war on these brainless bints, and purge them off the road.

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 19:54
as an hgv driver one of the many things that wind me up is inconciderate drivers who don"t leave enough room for you to manouver and look at you as if you should"t be there gggrrrrrrrrrr[mad]

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:04
Sorry to hear you were bumbled off the road in your HGV by a little car, buit not so long ago I was forced to take a detour through Glasgow thanks to an HGV. He was having a laugh. Sob Sob

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 20:29
Sorry to hear you were bumbled off the road in your HGV by a little car, buit not so long ago I was forced to take a detour through Glasgow thanks to an HGV. He was having a laugh. Sob Sob

well it's either that or i bumble right over the top of the little car!!!!!:mad:

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:35
Thats why I went through Glasgow. WERE YOU THAT DRIVER???

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 20:40
Thats why I went through Glasgow. WERE YOU THAT DRIVER???
not guilty' but could of been my brother hehehe:lol:

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:51
Ill inform the PF. Hehehe

Bobinovich
01-Apr-06, 21:00
Too many to list but...

1. Slow drivers in general, but especially those who speed up when you go to overtake

2. People using mobiles. I've made the effort to buy a hands-free system which works great and isn't expensive. There's no excuse for not going hands-free these days.

3. Fog lights when there's no fog

4. Drivers on single track roads who refuse to pull in and let you overtake even though you know the road like the back of your hand

5. Motorway/dual carriageway drivers who hog the outer lanes when they should pull in for drivers coming up from the rear

6. Drivers of slow vehicles (tractors, cars towing caravans/trailers, etc.) not pulling into layby's when there's a mountain of traffic stuck behind them

7. Drivers who dip too late coming towards you, or don't dip when they're behind you

8. People who overtake dangerously or who insist on bunny-hopping

9. People who blatantly overtake on hatched lines. It's only acceptable (IMHO) if you're pulling back in after overtaking and just catch them

Oh I'm gonna stop my rant before I hit double figures!!!

Funnily enough though I rarely indicate around town (sorry!) - mainly 'cos I get sick of people indicating and then not performing the turn they were indicating for. I've had 3 very close misses so thought "Stuff it". FYI In a situation where you pull out of a junction 'cos someone else is indicating to turn into that junction, it is you who is to blame if they plough into the side of you. You're meant to wait until they turn or pass before making your move. So what's the point of indicators then???

RANT OVER!

MadPict
01-Apr-06, 21:02
My biggest problem is with young boy racers....

Oh god, lets not wake them up from their afternoon nap - the last time it went on and on and on and on........:rolleyes:

MadPict
01-Apr-06, 21:05
Caravans......

...caravan owners, when they're not towing - they drive round like they still have their hutch on the back....

AR
01-Apr-06, 21:11
next time your driving around town just count how many people dont use their indicators, dont even have the common curtousy to let other road users know their intentions!! Grrrrr
That will mainly be taxi drivers.They have the indicator stalks removed from the cars when they becom taxis.And they do own the road.

Billy Boy
01-Apr-06, 21:13
Caravans......

...caravan owners, when they're not towing - they drive round like they still have their hutch on the back....

brillient thankyou !!:Razz

knightofeth
01-Apr-06, 21:26
What really annoys me is when the car in front is going really slow, until you go to overtake, and then they speed up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!![mad] [mad]

ARGH, thats exactly what I hate. Can you tell I drove up from Inverness today? Also on the duel carriageway we were in the fast lane but the cars in front were going slow.. so other cars were under taking them meaning they couldn't pull in, grrrrr!!
But seriously the thing you mention happens the whole time - the slower dirvers should leave the straight bits for the faster ones to overtake!

knightofeth
01-Apr-06, 21:28
Too many to list but...

1. Slow drivers in general, but especially those who speed up when you go to overtake

2. People using mobiles. I've made the effort to buy a hands-free system which works great and isn't expensive. There's no excuse for not going hands-free these days.

3. Fog lights when there's no fog

4. Drivers on single track roads who refuse to pull in and let you overtake even though you know the road like the back of your hand

5. Motorway/dual carriageway drivers who hog the outer lanes when they should pull in for drivers coming up from the rear

6. Drivers of slow vehicles (tractors, cars towing caravans/trailers, etc.) not pulling into layby's when there's a mountain of traffic stuck behind them

7. Drivers who dip too late coming towards you, or don't dip when they're behind you

8. People who overtake dangerously or who insist on bunny-hopping

9. People who blatantly overtake on hatched lines. It's only acceptable (IMHO) if you're pulling back in after overtaking and just catch them

Oh I'm gonna stop my rant before I hit double figures!!!

Funnily enough though I rarely indicate around town (sorry!) - mainly 'cos I get sick of people indicating and then not performing the turn they were indicating for. I've had 3 very close misses so thought "Stuff it". FYI In a situation where you pull out of a junction 'cos someone else is indicating to turn into that junction, it is you who is to blame if they plough into the side of you. You're meant to wait until they turn or pass before making your move. So what's the point of indicators then???

RANT OVER!

All these, but especially 1, 5 and 7!!!

JimH
03-Apr-06, 20:07
My wife was driving home from wick today with me and our young daughter in the car, when suddenly the woman in front braked really hard with no indication causing my wife had to brake severely. ( causing distress to our daughter & my poor wee tropical fish that i had just bought)
It then became apparent to us that she was talking on the phone and though she had missed her turn off. She then took the turn off a little further on and was still yapping on the phone and never even indicated that she was turning. now that makes me really mad[mad]
You should not have been so close to her - and her signal is her brake lights. But even handsfree can distract you.

Billy Boy
03-Apr-06, 20:19
You should not have been so close to her - and her signal is her brake lights. But even handsfree can distract you.

pure claptrap, how can you justify someone going from 60 to almost 25 mph without indecation, by blaming the driver behind for being to close, if my wife had been to close to her she would have hit her.
The point i was making was the fact that the driver in front was to busy yapping on the phone to pay attention to other road users. something you cannot justify.
Little wonder there is such a thing as accidents and road rage with attitudes like yours[mad]

jay
03-Apr-06, 21:31
what really bugs me at the moment are those inconsiderate people who park outside skinandis and the wine shop in sinclair street in thurso - all to close to the traffic lights causing the traffic to have to sit in one lane and miss their turns until all the others get away - really infuriating especially at teatime when the town is virtually gridlocked

also the coaches parked outside the royal - how do they still get away with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

landmarker
03-Apr-06, 21:35
pure claptrap, how can you justify someone going from 60 to almost 25 mph without indecation, by blaming the driver behind for being to close, if my wife had been to close to her she would have hit her.
The point i was making was the fact that the driver in front was to busy yapping on the phone to pay attention to other road users. something you cannot justify.
Little wonder there is such a thing as accidents and road rage with attitudes like yours[mad]

Agreed: If she had been 'too close' she would have hit her.

Also: beware the scam of miscreants in old bangers driving in front of you then slamming on their anchors for no apparent reason. They claim whiplash/personal injury etc. You are left with a wrecked car and out of pocket when you renew your insurance on the next one. This happened to my brother-in-law. The payout is expected to be five grand to each of of the 'injured party' - two of 'em.

Whitewater
03-Apr-06, 22:54

Bit of an unjustified hate campaign here I think, my wife is female (well I hope so), we are both becoming elderly, and both members of the advanced drivers institute, I also used to rally drive in my young days. What have you achieved apart from sitting in your 100yd envelope ??

2little2late
03-Apr-06, 22:58
Sunday drivers.
I was driving in to Wick from Reiss one day, the car in front was travelling at 40 mph. I coudn't over take for traffic in the opposite direction. When we got near Ackergill tower the driver suddenly stopped the car. I wouldn't have had time to stop. I was able to overtake by this point. He had only stopped to let a pheasant cross the road. As I passed the front of the car I hit the pheasant.

ice box
03-Apr-06, 23:58
Sunday drivers.
I was driving in to Wick from Reiss one day, the car in front was travelling at 40 mph. I coudn't over take for traffic in the opposite direction. When we got near Ackergill tower the driver suddenly stopped the car. I wouldn't have had time to stop. I was able to overtake by this point. He had only stopped to let a pheasant cross the road. As I passed the front of the car I hit the pheasant.
That was sunday lunch taken care of lol

2little2late
04-Apr-06, 00:02
That was sunday lunch taken care of lol
Apparently, if you accidentally run over a pheasant you are not allowed to stop and pick it up. But any other person can.

JimH
04-Apr-06, 09:54
I agree with you totally, but the only way to avoid the situation you described is to allow more room - you could see that the driver was on the phone, which is against the law.
There is many a dead person that said " I Have right of way"

The Angel Of Death
04-Apr-06, 13:13
Slow drivers (more often than not old people) driving at 30 mph on a main road lots of mention of speed kills but what about going to slow that can be just as bad coming round a blind corner at 60 and finding an old dear / man at 30 = brown trousers

Tractors not pulling in when there is a weeks worth of traffic behing them

Busses at the royal bet if i decided to "borrow" one of them and park it round the corner there would be uproar and have you noticed its mostly on a thursday when thurso is really busy ??? i thought thurso had a triffic warden for a reason and not just for show the lines are clearly double yellow there as well can you get such a thing as a dissabled badge on a bus ???

People who cut corners had a work van smash into the side of our car and was told "i had to cut the corner as my van couldnt get round it" even though the road was opened up to compensate for the tight corner

Big vehicles (tractors lorry's vans etc) who form some reason drive in the middle of the road its not very nice having to go on the verge to protect the side of your car and wing mirror

Jeid
04-Apr-06, 13:25
Ok, I don't drive, but you know what really annoys me? Inconsiderate drivers? The type that never indicate that they are turning into a road while you are crossing it. That is mega annoying. I always make sure I walk slowly across the road when they do that, just to show them how annoying it really is.

2little2late
04-Apr-06, 13:32
Ok, I don't drive, but you know what really annoys me? Inconsiderate drivers? The type that never indicate that they are turning into a road while you are crossing it. That is mega annoying. I always make sure I walk slowly across the road when they do that, just to show them how annoying it really is.

Quite right too.

AR
04-Apr-06, 13:41
[QUOTEBusses at the royal bet if i decided to "borrow" one of them and park it round the corner there would be uproar and have you noticed its mostly on a thursday when thurso is really busy ??? i thought thurso had a triffic warden for a reason and not just for show the lines are clearly double yellow there as well can you get such a thing as a dissabled badge on a bus ???

[/QUOTE]
Think the Thurso traffic warden cant be bothered doing anything now, cos someone (in wick)is doing the job, or at least half of it for him.The guy in wick makes him look very lasy to say the least.

JAWS
04-Apr-06, 16:08
Oh dear, billy boy. JimH is absolutely correct, it's called "driving too close to the vehicle in front". You should always leave sufficient a gap so as to be able to stop safely should the need arise.

In the situation you describe then "the need to stop safely" obviously arose.
The fact that the other driver was doing something they should not have been doing does not negate the responsibility of other drivers to drive with "due care and attention" at all times.

What amazes me is how intolerant so many drivers seem to be of other people making mistakes.
I never knew there were so many perfect and faultless drivers on the roads.

The driver who knows that they always drive perfectly and know it's always others who make the mistakes still has an awful lot to learn about driving.
Either that or they should be the top adviser to the DoT on road safety matters.

Billy Boy
04-Apr-06, 18:44
Oh dear, billy boy. JimH is absolutely correct, it's called "driving too close to the vehicle in front". You should always leave sufficient a gap so as to be able to stop safely should the need arise.

In the situation you describe then "the need to stop safely" obviously arose.
The fact that the other driver was doing something they should not have been doing does not negate the responsibility of other drivers to drive with "due care and attention" at all times.

What amazes me is how intolerant so many drivers seem to be of other people making mistakes.
I never knew there were so many perfect and faultless drivers on the roads.

The driver who knows that they always drive perfectly and know it's always others who make the mistakes still has an awful lot to learn about driving.
Either that or they should be the top adviser to the DoT on road safety matters.

JAWS. JIMH IS NOT CORRECT.
he wasnt there and when we braked we were still 4 car lengths behind her. the point i was making but some people cannot grasp is that the woman in front was talking ILLEGALLY on her phone causing her to brake needlesly which in turn caused my wife to brake hard.
And as Jimh pointed out her brakes are her indecation. claptrap her indecators are her indecation but she didnt use them.
you like Jimh just assumed that we were driving to close.
and no i dont find fault in other people's driving and think mine is perfect i know i to can make mistakes i am after all only human.
But making a mistake and doing something that is illegal in two completely different things.
I wonder did both you and Jimh Que at the post office for your lisence's or did you sit test's like my wife and I did[disgust]

JimH
04-Apr-06, 21:55
he wasnt there and when we braked we were still 4 car lengths behind her. the point i was making but some people cannot grasp is that the woman in front was talking ILLEGALLY on her phone causing her to brake needlesly which in turn caused my wife to brake hard.
And as Jimh pointed out her brakes are her indecation. claptrap her indecators are her indecation but she didnt use them.
and no i dont find fault in other people's driving and think mine is perfect i know i to can make mistakes i am after all only human.
But making a mistake and doing something that is illegal in two completely different things.
I wonder did both you and Jimh Que at the post office for your lisence's or did you sit test's like my wife and I did[disgust]
Billy Boy, I'm sorry if I offended you, It was not the intention, and if you saw my second post on the matter you will see that I agreed with you.
On the technical side - the Brake lights are the signal that you are slowing down or stopping and the indicators are for turning or an emergency signal.
I hold a LGV, PCV, IAM and was once a Driving Examiner. However as I get older, I'm as bad as everybody else.

Billy Boy
04-Apr-06, 21:59
[I hold a LGV, PCV, IAM and was once a Driving Examiner. However as I get older, I'm as bad as everybody else.[/quote]

No offence taken, i canna argue wi a highly experianced man......
we are all human...;)

JAWS
04-Apr-06, 23:48
Sorry, I'm not quite old enough to have got my licence before the Driving Test was introduced.

I do not dispute that the other driver was committing an offence by using the phone whilst driving but that was only part of your complaint.

It then became apparent to us that she was talking on the phone and though she had missed her turn off. She then took the turn off a little further on and was still yapping on the phone and never even indicated that she was turning. now that makes me really mad

You state that the woman braked hard without indicating because she thought she had missed her turning you then state she continued and turned a little further on.
From that it would appear obvious that she did not turn at the point at which she first braked. That being the case why would she indicate that she was going to turn?
The fact that when she did indeed turn, further along the road, without indicating has nothing whatsoever to do with her reason for initially braking prior to that. (That does not excuse her actions or her inattention to her driving)
When she initially braked, without turning, then her brake-lights would indeed be the indication she was slowing.

Your complaint that your wife had to "brake severely" to your daughter's distress would indicate that this was anything other than a normal braking to slow your vehicle which would not have been the case had there been sufficient distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front.
In other words, your wife did not anticipate the woman braking and was therefore driving with the expectation that the woman would continue at the same or similar speed. When she did not so continue your wife had to take a more severe action than normal.
Had your vehicle not been closer than it should have been then there would have been no problem for your wife to take any action other than to brake normally.

Your complaint would then have been that a driver in front of you was talking on a mobile phone rather than giving her full attention to her driving.

The reason for the woman braking suddenly has no relevance to what your wife had to do as a result of her braking.
There can be many reasons for a driver braking suddenly without apparent reason, it just so happens that on this occasion the reason was that you were behind an imbecile masquerading as a driver, the next occasion might be for another quite legitimate, reason.