PDA

View Full Version : Licensing (Scotland) act and the new Scottish Licensing laws

Mr P Cannop
03-Sep-09, 14:06
What does everything think about the new laws for the licensing laws for drink 10am -10pm every day

emc246
03-Sep-09, 14:10
I am tee-total and think there are too many drunks around, so think this law is pretty good, but a lot more needs to be done to stop people drinking excessively.

shazzap
03-Sep-09, 14:21
I am tee-total and think there are too many drunks around, so think this law is pretty good, but a lot more needs to be done to stop people drinking excessively.

I am an occasional drinker myself, but...... Like any addiction the person involved has to want to stop themselves.

You can all the help and incentives you can think of in place.
Any substance miss user must want to stop them selves.

Mr P Cannop
03-Sep-09, 16:43
drink can not be sold till 10am

balto
03-Sep-09, 18:01
makes no difference when they sell it anyone desperate for a drink will buy it whenever they can.

mumof2
04-Sep-09, 19:06
i personally think it'll make little difference. i work in a shop and people come in from 7am trying to get served. oh and i spend the whole sunday morning refusing alcohol until 12.30. people can be quite arrogant and aggressive sometimes they think it's their god given right to be sold whenever they want. quite often they think they are above the law.

northener
04-Sep-09, 19:30

You said it's 'Pretty good'? So how will this law contribute towards stopping people abusing alcohol?

mama2
05-Sep-09, 23:15
Most pubs don't start selling until after 10am anyway so it shouldn't really make a difference to them but it will have an impact on shops for the 1st wee while. It's a shame on the staff as they will have to take the brunt of the gurning customers until they get used to the changes. I really can't see it having much of an impact on the sale of alcohol but it will affect the average shopper for instance I do my shopping early when I drop the kids off at school but if I want to include wine etc in my shopping I better make sure I'm not there before 10am!!!

It seems a shame on the pubs/hotels as from what I can tell it's a lot of money and hassle for nothing. Just another tax!

grumpy1
06-Sep-09, 22:06
What does everything think about the new laws for the licensing laws for drink 10am -10pm every day

I honestly dont think it matters what we think the law has changed and we need to deal with it....so deal with it....

achingale
07-Sep-09, 15:34
It makes no difference. It is when the Scottish Govt put a price on alcohol per unit that will impact all who drink. I will try and stock up before hand!!!:lol:

Invader
07-Sep-09, 16:35
I agree with Mama2, I quite often do my weekly shop at early or late o'clock, before I go to work.
The supermarket is quiet, and you don't have the inconvenience of having to navigate round clumps of old wifies blocking the aisles while they have a "Newsy" with people they haven't seen since last week......

Being a bloke, I can get in and out in 10-15 mins, because I know what I'm going in for.
Sometimes I might be having guests over and want to buy some wine.
"Sorry sir, as of this morning, we can't sell that until 10am...." WHAT!!!!??

If you are that dependant on drink, you will find it, no matter what.

I think these new laws are silly at best, and slightly inconvenient.
I remember when it was illegal to buy a carry out on a Sunday, but there was always somewhere you could get one, if you knew where to go....
I remember buying a paper on my way to work, and the guy in front of me in the queue in his works ovies was buying 4 cans of Speccy Brew whilst waiting for his bus to work.. (7am)

Dog
08-Sep-09, 09:33
The politicians have tried many different approaches to try and solve the huge alcohol problem in this country.
None seems to solve the problem , we are a nation of heavy drinkers similar to many others in the North of Europe.
Solution -- I have no idea!! but altering times of opening pubs and off-licenses is merely fiddling with a problem that seems to be inbred to many.

mumof2
08-Sep-09, 22:45
i know it's a pain in the bum for people but it's pointless moaning about it because it's the law. workin in a shop me and a couple of my colleagues have now been called a variety of colourful names for not selling alcohol on demand. we really cannot sell it even 1 minute before tenAm or 1 minute after 10PM it's the law yet somehow it's my fault? it's rather frustrating but people will get the gist after a few weeks :L

loganbiffy
09-Sep-09, 10:46
And it's not everyday you can sell it from 10am, it's after 12:30pm on a Sunday ;)

mumof2
09-Sep-09, 11:35
yeah the shop i work in it's 12.30 on a sunday but they could apply for another licence for 10am. several businesses have that licence including Lidl and the co-op. hopefully that will take a bit of pressure off me on a sunday morning. saying that though someone in another shop got pleaded with to sell alcohol on the sunday because the person couldn't be bothered to walk to the co-op. ha ha you just can't win sometimes.

_Ju_
09-Sep-09, 11:35
The law will only inconvenience those that do not have an alcohol problem and don't keep track of when they can buy it. Those that do have a problem with alcohol will quickly adapt their patterns to accomodate the changes.

Mr P Cannop
11-Sep-09, 10:24
please remove this please ??

PantsMAN
11-Sep-09, 12:07
please remove please ??

There we go - 'this' has been removed.:lol:

Bill Fernie
11-Sep-09, 13:11
please remove this please ??

I cannot see a reason to remove this item

Bill Fernie

Mr P Cannop
11-Sep-09, 13:40
i have been asked to get this rempved

Tom Cornwall
11-Sep-09, 14:22
do these times only relate to shops and off-licences...surely not the 10pm one for pubs etc

Mr P Cannop
11-Sep-09, 14:34
sorry this is now closed

veritas
11-Sep-09, 14:35
No its not !!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Fernie
11-Sep-09, 16:22
Thread re-opened as no reason given for closure

cuddlepop
11-Sep-09, 17:50
Arent you allowed to lock your own thread?:confused

Rheghead
11-Sep-09, 18:02
And it's not everyday you can sell it from 10am, it's after 12:30pm on a Sunday ;)

It is from 10am on a Sunday as well.

lexie
11-Sep-09, 18:36
nope ...not yet 10am on a Sunday still after 12!

upolian
11-Sep-09, 18:57
7am -7am would be better

Rheghead
11-Sep-09, 19:14
nope ...not yet 10am on a Sunday still after 12!

Well it is already happening.

Aaldtimer
11-Sep-09, 19:30

The new Laws came into operation on 1st September.

Amy-Winehouse
11-Sep-09, 22:38
Does anyone REALLY believe it will stop alcoholism????

It wont, drunks arent stupid- if they know there not goin to get drink until 10am they will just buy more the night before- seemples!!!

Supermarkets are open all day, theres loads of places to get cheap drink & tanked up in Wick 7 days a week, a little change in the law isnt going to change it.

©Amethyst
11-Sep-09, 23:52

I think it's a license thing. Some can be from 10am on a Sunday, but there's another license that is from 12:30 pm... or at least that's what I am led to believe.

I kind of agree with Amy. We have a local drunk in the village I am in at the moment (though doesn't every small place have its characters lol) - I've seen him sitting outside the shop before 7am with a few tins.

Whitewater
12-Sep-09, 00:11
The new licensing laws are just another way of making money for the Highland Region. You now require a premises license at £250 and then you require an annual license for selling alcohol which is now £180 per annum. Previously you could have your license for 3years at a cost of £80. (for clubs)

northener
12-Sep-09, 11:48
The new licensing laws are just another way of making money for the Highland Region. You now require a premises license at £250 and then you require an annual license for selling alcohol which is now £180 per annum. Previously you could have your license for 3years at a cost of £80. (for clubs)

Indeed, another example of a hypocritical 'it's for your own good' revenue stream being created...

I was in Inverness on friday getting my bike serviced. About 09:00 I was walking down the side of the river.
Perched on a flight of steps were half a dozen of Inverness's finest residents, all guzzling cheap cider and going by the amount of empty PET bottles, they'd been at it for some time.

How can this possibly be? They can't get drink before 10?

Shouldn't they all be 'cured' by this new health-based legislation?:roll:

Venture
12-Sep-09, 12:57
I was in Tescos yesterday and was shopping for someone else. I had two cans of stout on the list I had and when I went to purchase them there were no single cans on the shelf. When i enquired further, the assistant I asked then told me that by law they are not allowed to sell single cans anymore that they must be sold in a minimum of 4's. He said there was only one type of foreign lager that was on sale as singles. Is this not encouraging people to buy more drink than they actually need?:roll:

cuddlepop
12-Sep-09, 16:08
I was in Tescos yesterday and was shopping for someone else. I had two cans of stout on the list I had and when I went to purchase them there were no single cans on the shelf. When i enquired further, the assistant I asked then told me that by law they are not allowed to sell single cans anymore that they must be sold in a minimum of 4's. He said there was only one type of foreign lager that was on sale as singles. Is this not encouraging people to buy more drink than they actually need?:roll:

Is that just Tesco's rule or is it general.?
If so its going to penalise the people like you that only need 1 or 2 cans.

I've seen the "alcoholics" going into the supermarket only having eneogh money for the one can.
Now if the government are recognising an alcoholic by giving them extra money are they going to increase their allowence so they can buy a 4 pack.:roll:
Are the pensioners going to have to go without because there budget only stetches for two can a week.

This new license is causing more problems than aleviating.:(

brandy
12-Sep-09, 16:24
what i find interesting is that people go on about drink like it is a necessity. ie eggs flour milk drink...
there is nothing necessary about drink, and truth be told the whole world would be a lot better place without it.
i have no problem with people having a night out and having a drink or two, but it seems to be part of the culture here, that every one must drink, and do it daily... (exageration btw) i would be quite happy for a dry country *WEG* just imagine the place then?
i know people will gurn abou how its thier right to drink and do what they want, but really its as much anyones right not to drink, not the be abused by drunks and not to accosted by all the drink related crime that goes on in this country.
but that is just my opinion.. and like armpits everyone has one and most two!

lexie
12-Sep-09, 18:31

where is it already happening ?

Amy-Winehouse
12-Sep-09, 19:05
where is it already happening ?

Ar eyou after a reviver in the morning or are you just fishing?[lol]

Amy-Winehouse
12-Sep-09, 19:10
what i find interesting is that people go on about drink like it is a necessity. ie eggs flour milk drink...
there is nothing necessary about drink, and truth be told the whole world would be a lot better place without it.
i have no problem with people having a night out and having a drink or two, but it seems to be part of the culture here, that every one must drink, and do it daily... (exageration btw) i would be quite happy for a dry country *WEG* just imagine the place then?
i know people will gurn abou how its thier right to drink and do what they want, but really its as much anyones right not to drink, not the be abused by drunks and not to accosted by all the drink related crime that goes on in this country.
but that is just my opinion.. and like armpits everyone has one and most two!

Scotland will never be a dry country, the government would lose out on billions in taxes, the people would revolt & it would probably be in court for being against human rights to make a decision like that.

Its a bit like trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted in Scotland- theres too many who dont give a monkeys for it to be the politicians dream utopia

Amy-Winehouse
13-Sep-09, 09:50
It also means thanks to the new laws, that you will not be admitted into Waterfront after 12-45 am, we tried last night but were given a NO . It also means when the Camps shuts the door at 1am you will not be served after 1am- changed days!!!:eek:

lexie
13-Sep-09, 12:30
Ar eyou after a reviver in the morning or are you just fishing?[lol]

Neither! just asking a question !

horseman
13-Sep-09, 18:42
My local paper shop has a sign in the door -no alcohol sold before 6am.
Lots of local firms work a shift pattern from 6am,some of the workers want a drink coming off shift, whats the problem there?-Do'es personal choice count for nothing? Seems to me to be another dirty big nail in a persons life style choice....choost another one of many of course---but where the hell is it ever going to end up!!!