PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul in Tape Op magazine

buddyrich
01-Sep-09, 22:39
Theres a reproduction of an article from a couple of years ago in the latest issue of Tape Op magazine that features a long interview with Les Paul. No guitars in this one, Les explains in great detail his development of multi track recording, from the first tape machine coming over from Germany after the war to the design of the 8 feet tall 8-track ampex recorder.

If you're interested in recording it's utterly fascinating.

Great mag too and yes, tis free!

http://www.tapeop.com/subscription/

Green_not_greed
02-Sep-09, 00:11
I'm glad to see that the man who invented multitracking is remembered for more than his Gibson moniker. Which is also excellent BTW!

buddyrich
02-Sep-09, 14:56
Indeed. He mentions in the article that he still had all his gear at his home, including that first tape machine and the portable gear he and Mary Ford used all over america.

The bbc4 documentary about him was on again last night. What a mess of gear his garage is, a man after my own heart. And what a beast the ampex 8 track is! I'd consider giving a kidney for that. And another kidney for all the bill putnam stuff he has.

I wonder what will become of his equipment and all his guitars. I hope they preserve it all in the museum thats being built.

Boozeburglar
12-Sep-09, 00:41
This guy was one of the four corners of modern music. Don't ask me what the others are, I have not really thought this analogy through.

I am sure Elvis is near one of them.

Anyway, in some ways I wish the electric guitar had not gone on to become what it has, so that he may have occupied a more prmominent position as an individualist.