PDA

View Full Version : Rowan Berries

Mother Bear
31-Aug-09, 23:56
Has anyone else noticed the amount of berries on the trees just now?...in some cases there appears to be more berries than leaves! I think that means we are in for a harsh winter doesn't it??

Scunner
01-Sep-09, 01:21
Starlings were having a great feast to-day on the rowan berries. Also have berries on the honeysuckly. A few years ago the waxwings arrived and devoured the lot in minutes. Hope they arrive again this year.

Mystical Potato Head
02-Sep-09, 17:44
Has anyone else noticed the amount of berries on the trees just now?...in some cases there appears to be more berries than leaves! I think that means we are in for a harsh winter doesn't it??

Just means it was a good growing season,we may well get a bad winter but the amount of berries or fruit on trees has no bearing on the the following seasons weather,old wives tale i think.
Good for the Waxwings when they arrive which some say is the sign of a bad winter in Scandanavia......or a good breeding season and they're running out of berries,or a poor growing season and they've run out of berries. Not bothered which one is true,its great to see them when they do arrive.