PDA

View Full Version : Camus

David Banks
29-Aug-09, 01:18
Albert Camus, 1913 to 1960, an Algerian by birth, in his book The Myth of Sisyphus, writes (in translation by Justin O'Brien):

"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide."
Additional quotes from the first chapter, in the order in which they appear, are:

"Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest - whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories - comes afterwards. These are games; one must first answer."

"What then is that incalculable feeling that deprives the mind of the sleep necessary to life? A world that can be explained even with bad reasons is a familiar world. But, on the other hand, in a universe suddenly divested of illusions and lights, man feels an alien, a stranger. His exile is without remedy since he is deprived of the memory of a lost home or the hope of a promised land."

"We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking."

Firstly, as one unschooled in literature (by choice; I thought I 'hated' English, particularly literature at THS), I am not sure whether or not a discussion of such literature, as extracted above, would or should be done on a dispassionate level merely reviewing the clarity and cogency of the arguement. Personally, I find such dispassion hard to achieve on such a topic. I had been taught that all serious matters of life would be answered in a different Book.

Having established that my reading, even now at my advancing years, is not occurring as a 'clinical' exercise, I wonder how others have handled reading after 'the light comes on' - the only phrase I can think of using here.

The fact that you are reading this thread leads me to assume you have thought about and achieved some sort of answer to the "problem" posed by Camus. I would be pleased to hear from other readers, no matter how young or old you were when 'smitten' by books.

pinotnoir
05-Sep-09, 09:55
Try some Raymond Carver- Google his name and you will find some of his short stories and poems online- his writing is simply beautiful.

rich
04-Nov-09, 17:06
I was five or six and reading quite well, so my mother took me to the Thurso public library - in those days it was where the new mueum is sited. I wish I could remember the name of the librarian - I think it was Agnes something.

I was welcomed into the kids' section and I gazed upwards at the towering book stacks, deeply impressed.

So I was left there while my mother went into the adult section to find the latest Neville Shute. She was interrupted by screams of rage and frustration from the kid section.

She rushed over to where I'd been left and there I was shaking, purple-faced with rage, roaring and greeting.

My mother calmed me down and asked what on earth was the matter.

I replied "None of these books are new! They've all been read before!! I want a NEW book!!!"

I was placated with a book about Daniel Boone and adventures in the Wild West. It's probably still there...

rich
04-Nov-09, 17:27
David, what I posted above was not terribly relevant re. Camus. You might like to google up some biography because his relationship with Sartre and de Bauvoir is a good read.

Errogie
10-Nov-09, 20:01
The librarian I remember went by the name of "Aggie Begg". She threw me out for rollerskating through her library, however I kept on reading then married a librarian who can still chill the blood with her book overdue look!