PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Bill

David Banks
22-Aug-09, 17:35
I've never been near to a hurricane before, so this will be an interesting experience !

Around 2003, hurricane Juan did some extensive damage to Point Pleasant Park, the Public Gardens on Spring Garden Road, and quite a bit of residential Halifax.
That was followed by "white Juan" which was not a hurricane, but a major dump of snow a couple of years later. I missed both the Juans.

Bill might move far enough offshore, to be only a tropical storm - we'll see.

wickscorrie
22-Aug-09, 23:13
are you close to the coast, that you may get a battering
was looking at the projected course
planning staying and watching or having a temporary break else where?

David Banks
23-Aug-09, 01:45
We're less than 5 klix from the coast.
Staying for the show - most everything is batoned down or inside.
Hoping that it will be better than a damp squib.

Aaldtimer
23-Aug-09, 03:35
David, do you think I should be worried that a Caithness Zephyr is visiting my brother and his wife in Port Hawkesbury and my neice in Halifax?;)

David Banks
23-Aug-09, 18:07
Halifax is only getting a tropical storm as-we-speak.

They're (the weather people) are still equivocating whether or not the eyewall will actually touch land around the Canso/Port Hawkesbury area.

If your folks are staying with local people, I'm sure all reasonable safety steps have been taken, so I would not worry. Anyway, Port Hawkesbury itself does not stick-out into the Atlantic track of Bill.

bigjjuk
23-Aug-09, 18:58
Dont worry u will feel a bit of bills fury soon enough, but only a bit :)

click the link

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotlight.php?year=2009&storm=3

Aaldtimer
24-Aug-09, 02:59
Halifax is only getting a tropical storm as-we-speak.

They're (the weather people) are still equivocating whether or not the eyewall will actually touch land around the Canso/Port Hawkesbury area.

If your folks are staying with local people, I'm sure all reasonable safety steps have been taken, so I would not worry. Anyway, Port Hawkesbury itself does not stick-out into the Atlantic track of Bill.

Thanks David, but my folks have been over there for 40 years so I guess they're used to "Blows & Snows" by now! :eek:

Aaldtimer
24-Aug-09, 03:01
Dont worry u will feel a bit of bills fury soon enough, but only a bit :)

click the link

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotlight.php?year=2009&storm=3

Like I said Bigj, I think we're used to a bit of wind in Caithness.:)

Tom Cornwall
24-Aug-09, 17:57
Is Hurricane Bill any relation to Barnacle Bill, the sailor? :)

JAWS
25-Aug-09, 03:45
Don't know but you should be able to ask what's left of him when he is supposed to pass us on Wednesday.