PDA

View Full Version : Female Philosophy

David Banks
21-Aug-09, 12:43
I have a suspicion that female philosophy is different from the male variety, but would like some better definition.

For 2500 years, male dominated philosophy has dealt with 1) the problem of knowledge, 2) the problem of conduct and 3) the problem of governance - in the opinion of some philosophers.

In discussions a couple of years ago with a female friend, one who studied philosophy and religion at Stirling U., topics such as the lack of female participation in local politics arose, along with some remarks about the final agreement to build a proper sewage treatment plant in Halifax. On wondering how local politics would have been different with more female participation, the strong reply came "that we would not have been flushing our toilets straight into Halifax harbour for the last bloody two hundred years if more women had been on council." I had touched on something!

It would help the reader to know the layout of Halifax harbour and the Bedford Basin - a place where one could easily hide the Spanish Armada, and was put to great use assembling convoys during WWII. The tides are small and do not do "a proper flushing job."

I inderstood her point which was suggestive of less "hot air" and a more pragmatic approach to dealing with real local issues. The sewage problem was indeed a disgrace, and had been talked about for many many years, with no practical results.

So, are there differences between female's and male's basic philosophy, and if so, what are they ?

Mrs Bucket
21-Aug-09, 19:15
Women are from Venus Men are from Mars. Think that says it all.

rich
21-Aug-09, 20:35
Women dont argue. They VENT. They are not looking for answers.

Gene Hunt
21-Aug-09, 21:27
Well David I reckon the most basic difference in Philosophy between Men and Women is that Women need a reason to have Sex and Men just need a place. We are much more streamlined in our thought processes, thats why it doesnt take us three hours to get ready to go out for instance.

Women are great at saying they can do things better but are rubbish at carrying this out. For instance my wife says it takes too long to get ready for bed. However every night she insists on taking the ten or so pointless throw cushions off the bed and then put them back on the bed the next morning. Her philosophy is that she does this "because they look good", my philosophy is that no one sees them during the day and all we do is spend pointless minutes taking them on and off. I dont see the point but she seems to enjoy carrying out a pointless task that takes up time which then enables her to moan about the fact that it takes too long to got to bed.

I have had a severly painful ear infection all day, I have been like a bear with a sore head. Some might have noticed. But an hour age the wife decided she wanted to go out for a meal and then onto a pub. I just want to sit in a quiet room because I am in a lot of pain. Her philosophy was that because she wanted to go out my ear couldnt be THAT sore. Her Philosophy is that my desire to stay in is nothing to do with my ear being in agony and is, in fact, inversely proportional to her desire to go out.

And if you think putting up with that one female philosophy is bad, I also have two daughters with their own.

wickscorrie
22-Aug-09, 23:36
philosophy ain' the problem, the problem is communication, hard to get your point across when someone has a different one,

kitty kat
22-Aug-09, 23:37
Women are great at saying they can do things better but are rubbish at carrying this out. For instance my wife says it takes too long to get ready for bed. However every night she insists on taking the ten or so pointless throw cushions off the bed and then put them back on the bed the next morning. Her philosophy is that she does this "because they look good", my philosophy is that no one sees them during the day and all we do is spend pointless minutes taking them on and off. I dont see the point but she seems to enjoy carrying out a pointless task that takes up time which then enables her to moan about the fact that it takes too long to got to bed.

i am a female bed maker and i am glad to know im not the only one :)
at the end of the day who does not want to get in a bed that looks so comfy you could sleep for a week after all you are going to spend at least the next 8 hours in it.

its like waking up the morning after the night before and walking into a kitchen full of dirty dishes it just does not set you up for a good day. no matter how hard a job it is you do the dishes before you go to bed then you can relax the next morning and have a cup of tea.

Moira
22-Aug-09, 23:45
Women dont argue. They VENT. They are not looking for answers.

You are absolutely correct in your final assumption. :D

Alice in Blunderland
22-Aug-09, 23:48
They are not looking for answers.

Thats because we know them all................... :lol: :lol:

shazzap
22-Aug-09, 23:53
Well David I reckon the most basic difference in Philosophy between Men and Women is that Women need a reason to have Sex and Men just need a place. We are much more streamlined in our thought processes, thats why it doesnt take us three hours to get ready to go out for instance.

I have had a severly painful ear infection all day, I have been like a bear with a sore head. Some might have noticed. But an hour age the wife decided she wanted to go out for a meal and then onto a pub. I just want to sit in a quiet room because I am in a lot of pain. Her philosophy was that because she wanted to go out my ear couldnt be THAT sore. Her Philosophy is that my desire to stay in is nothing to do with my ear being in agony and is, in fact, inversely proportional to her desire to go out.

And if you think putting up with that one female philosophy is bad, I also have two daughters with their own.

Well it doesn't take me three hours to get ready.
Maybe your wife thought your ear infection was on the same scale as the man flu. [lol]

Vistravi
23-Aug-09, 20:37
Hmm in many cases male and female philosophy is rather similiar. Women do tend to be much more straight forward most of the time and much quicker to defend than men. not true in all cases though. Just the other day i argued with a man who's philosophy in life was to get a woman to do everything for him. I argued against that and have made an enemy now as he can't stand me. No great loss there realy.
Maybe the big difference in the philosophy is the fact that men and women just don't think the same way. Sometimes women are much more complicated in their views than men and sometimes they are just more direct and straight forward than men.

scorrie
23-Aug-09, 21:10
Hmm in many cases male and female philosophy is rather similiar. Women do tend to be much more straight forward most of the time and much quicker to defend than men. not true in all cases though. Just the other day i argued with a man who's philosophy in life was to get a woman to do everything for him. I argued against that and have made an enemy now as he can't stand me. No great loss there realy.
Maybe the big difference in the philosophy is the fact that men and women just don't think the same way. Sometimes women are much more complicated in their views than men and sometimes they are just more direct and straight forward than men.

Men do most of their thinking with the wrong part of their anatomy. It may appear to women that their motives on any particular issue are genuine, but it usually boils down to keeping the old "Brain extension" happy ;)

This can be seen if we look at a child behaviour test paper:-

For female candidates:-

Q1. Super Nanny Jo Frost, would you please outline and discuss this TV child behaviour expert's theory and methods?

For male candidates:-

Q1. Super Nanny Jo Frost, would you?

Vistravi
23-Aug-09, 21:57
Men do most of their thinking with the wrong part of their anatomy. It may appear to women that their motives on any particular issue are genuine, but it usually boils down to keeping the old "Brain extension" happy

This can be seen if we look at a child behaviour test paper:-

For female candidates:-

Q1. Super Nanny Jo Frost, would you please outline and discuss this TV child behaviour expert's theory and methods?

For male candidates:-

Q1. Super Nanny Jo Frost, would you?

[lol]

Very true ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Aug-09, 16:27
Women don't mind burying the hatchet; it's where they bury the hatchet that's important.

bigskelf
24-Aug-09, 16:31
A old friend of mine is fond of saying
"the best way to a mans heart is through his chest"
But she was always a big fan of Buffy the vampire slayer :D