View Full Version : Dunnet Forest

Mystical Potato Head
10-Aug-09, 19:08
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/DunnetForest.jpg

View on black@ http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3808423492&size=large

cazmanian_minx
10-Aug-09, 21:16
Love the sky.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what that purple stuff is called and how you kill it?? The garden was infested when we moved here (only one in the village that has it - think the previous owners must have taken a cutting of something and brought it in) and no matter how many buckets of roots I dig out, the blasted stuff keeps coming back!

Scunner
10-Aug-09, 21:51
I think it is Purple loosestrife. Its seems to be growing mad on the roadsides just now. Pest of a think in the garden. Keep digging up the roots.

arana negra
10-Aug-09, 21:52
Lovely photo, it is Rosebay Willow Herb blows its seeds all over the place !
The Organic Gardener says ..... Management: Rosebay willowherb is susceptible to shoot loss from trampling, cutting, burning and grazing. Liming is said to inhibit establishment.

Rheghead
10-Aug-09, 21:53
Is it called firebay?

Mystical Potato Head
11-Aug-09, 15:19
Is it called firebay?

Fireweed is one of its common names.Introduced from North America in the 18th century.
Purple loosestrife grows to over 6ft.
Rosebay Willowherb only grows to 4ft so its easy to identify the difference by the height they are when in bloom.

cazmanian_minx
12-Aug-09, 08:53
Fireweed is one of its common names.Introduced from North America in the 18th century.
Purple loosestrife grows to over 6ft.
Rosebay Willowherb only grows to 4ft so its easy to identify the difference by the height they are when in bloom.

Ah, it's the second one then - thank you :o) I'm afraid I've lost patience with the stuff - I've moved all the bulbs in that border and am engaging in chemical warfare!

arana negra
12-Aug-09, 13:43
I am more than a little confused now, is it not rosebay willow herb maybe I missed one when counting the petals. They are similar plants.

nirofo
12-Aug-09, 14:19
I am more than a little confused now, is it not rosebay willow herb maybe I missed one when counting the petals. They are similar plants.

It is Rosebay Willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium), Fireweed is a nickname given to it because the plant is associated with burnt or disturbed ground.

nirofo.

cuddlepop
12-Aug-09, 15:24
Beautiful picture and I think someone could have fun turning that tree stup into an octopuss.

As to the fireweed I though it was called that because it looks like the grounds on fire from a distance and the plant grows like a weed.

Good luck trying to get rid of it cazmanian minx,I'm fighting with ferns just now.:eek:

Sporran
12-Aug-09, 19:23
A fascinating photo, MPH! Very pleasing to the eye! :cool:

Rheghead
13-Aug-09, 23:12
It is Rosebay Willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium), Fireweed is a nickname given to it because the plant is associated with burnt or disturbed ground.

nirofo.

Perhaps, but I thought it was when it starts to seed it can look collectively like long grass on fire because of the red flowers and the seeds look like smoke.

Mystical Potato Head
13-Aug-09, 23:40
A simple Google search reveals its nickname comes from the fact it looks like fire from a distance AND its reputation for springing up on burnt out ground (after forest fires etc.)
Take your pick. :)