PDA

View Full Version : Donald MACKAY - peot, author, postman at Shebster

Peterd500
26-Jul-09, 07:27
Hi Orgers

Can anybody help me with connections of Donald MACKAY, 'the Shebster Postman' who, according to brief items on the internet, was well known for his poetry and writings such as "Memories Of Our Parish" , Idylls and Sketches", and "This Was My Glen" ?

I am wondering if he is Donald MACKAY in the 1901 census at Shebster in Reay parish described as age 34 a Postman born Reay parish married to Margaret age 23 and children Alexander age 1 and Donald age 1 month.

My research indicates that this chap was probably the son born 1866 to Alexander MACKAY & Jennet HENDERSON,the daughter of Alexander HENDERSON & Catharine MCLEOD who were also in the Shebster area.

I am confident that Alexander HENDERSON was Catharine MCLEOD's second husband (married 1825), her first husband probably being Peter SINCLAIR (married 1820) to whom she had a daughter Catharine SINCLAIR 1822, my ancestor. Catharine the daughter is age 19 in the 1841 household of Alexander & Catharine. For both marriages, in 1802 and 1825, Catharine MCLEOD is described as being from Achnavast, which is near Shebster but just over the border in Thurso parish.

Catharine MCLEOD was baptised Halkirk parish to William MCLEOD & Jennet HENDERSON. Her daughter Catharine SINCLAIR married David SINCLAIR in 1846 and they went to Victoria, Australia in 1851 where their son Peter SINCLAIR married Annie MCDONALD in 1876. Peter & Annie, my greatgrandparents, went to New Zealand soon after marriage.

Peter

Peterd500
26-Jul-09, 07:31
I forgot to say that Donald MACKAY often wrote under the name Jenny Horne

peter