PDA

View Full Version : Wind tollerant tree's?? Any Suggestions

locini
22-Jul-09, 22:53
Hi,

Just thinking about ideas to landscape our new garden (for a new build) and would like to put a thick wooded area in a section of the plot (around 30m2, this would act as a wind break for the house, and also look very nice outside the house was thinking of putting a play area in the middle of the wooded area.

I need suggestions for the type of tree to put in. The site is located up hill of forss so very very windy. I noticed some pine trees up in the neighbours garden, they were very badly scorched with the wind...

I would like the tree to be fast growing, easy to establish and provide dense thick cover...

Any suggestions of species, suggested spacing, and suppliers much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stefan
23-Jul-09, 22:15
Salix viminalis tora.
Fast growing willow.
Or other willows if you don't want them growing too quickly.
http://www.yorkshirewillow.co.uk (http://www.yorkshirewillow.co.uk/)

Poplar is also fast growing but I am not sure if it does well in such a windy location.

porshiepoo
24-Jul-09, 13:48
Even with Willow I would suggest that you stake them well until they're established and a decent size.

You could try a outer barrier of the Native Firs to help protect an inner area of the more sensitive trees? That way you would also have some decent winter protection.

I'm not sure what trees do well where you are and it may be a case of trial and error but we live right near the sea in Lybster and we're very open here.
Willow does well. We also have Rowan which is doing very well and Sycamore.

Trees that do well in exposed sites are : Sycamore, Ash, Rowan, Downy Birch, Silver Birch, Pine, Spruce and some Larch's.

Good Luck.

Any ideas where you will buy them from?

porshiepoo
24-Jul-09, 13:50
Suppliers, try this website:

www.hedging.co.uk (http://www.hedging.co.uk)

They do every tree imaginable as well as hedging, shrubs and plants too and at very good prices too.

Definately worth going online and requesting their catalogue. It's full of detail to help you choose what will suit your area.

Taraxacum
24-Jul-09, 20:30
The very hardiest trees are Swedish Whitebeam (Sorbus intermedia) and Sycamore (Acer pseudacorus) and Aspen (Populus tremula). They do not provide much wind shelter since they are trees with a trunk and the wind goes underneath when they are mature trees. To fill in below you need shrubs.

Birdie Wife
10-Aug-09, 13:46
Hawthorn and blackthorn form dense, not-too-tall hedges but are really slow growing. Fuschia maggellanica is really good even in exposed places (grows well even in Shetland).

skinnydog
30-Aug-09, 20:21
Depends on exactly how high you want your trees but some shurbs grow very quickly and can grow to 6 or 7 feet. I planted some stuff just 6 weeks ago and they have grown quickly already. I am just along the road from you (Fern Cottage) so call in if you want and see what I have planted!! So far I have had no disasters and nothing has died on me but that is probably just beginners luck and good advice from the man in Castletown garden centre....

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
30-Aug-09, 20:48
our norwegian spruce is now between 3 and 10ft after 5 years of planting as saplings or the equivalent term....have done ok if you plant enough - we get a lot of bother with wind and salt ....

We were advised willow when we asked same question as yourself but they never took - have some common hedging which took about 4 years to come but has all of a sudden started to flourish...