PDA

View Full Version : Lybster & Wick

w.j.milne
22-Jul-09, 16:47
I have returned again, seeking the assistance from you good 'Wickers'.

I seek to identify and locate, 'The Manse',Wick.The place given in 1912 for the marriage of my Grandmother according to Church of scotland orders. I have located a Baptist Manse at Harrow Terrace, but did it exist in 1912 and does it come under the C.of S.?

I also seek to identify and locate "West End",Lybster.The place of death of Grandmother in 1948.
I believe she is buried in Keiss Cemetery.are the burial records held by Wick?

Skifter
22-Jul-09, 17:12
The Manse in question is probably the Manse for Wick Old Parish Church.
There are a couple of books that have list of gravestone in Keiss cemetery. What wwas your grandmothers name?

w.j.milne
22-Jul-09, 20:13
Thank you 'Skifter'.
Grandmother was Helen Nicholson Milne,ms Manson.
She died 16/8/1948.

Mosser
25-Jul-09, 14:50
I have returned again, seeking the assistance from you good 'Wickers'.

I seek to identify and locate, 'The Manse',Wick.The place given in 1912 for the marriage of my Grandmother according to Church of scotland orders. I have located a Baptist Manse at Harrow Terrace, but did it exist in 1912 and does it come under the C.of S.?

I also seek to identify and locate "West End",Lybster.The place of death of Grandmother in 1948.
I believe she is buried in Keiss Cemetery.are the burial records held by Wick?

The manse would have been the Wick Parish Church manse in George Street, the minister at this time was Rev Guy Steele Peebles MA BD who was in Wick 1911-1918

Mosser

embow
25-Jul-09, 20:50
West End Lybster is at the top of the village where the white house is beside the Portland Arms Hotel at the side of the A99. It is basically the area around the house and the small cottage to the side of it on the Norland Road. West End also would include the area where the old filling station used to be and the house beside it. Strange that it is known as West End as it actually is to the north end of the village! I'm not too sure if the Quatre Bras bit was also part of West End or not. What did your grandmother do (or more likely for the times) what did her husband do that they were in Lybster in the late 1940's?

w.j.milne
27-Jul-09, 00:41
Thank you Embow & Mosser.
Grannie had returned to Wick being a widow since 1938.I think this was after 1945.She lived with her sister Annie, whose married name was I believe Oak.Through her sister she became friendly with a single elderly lady and became her housekeeper.