PDA

View Full Version : Bumble bees.

scaraben
21-Jul-09, 18:13
We are having problems with Bumble bees at the moment. My Wife has ( to date ) sucked over 24 into our Vaccum Cleaner with the hose !!! Is anyone else having a problem with these insects ? We have no idea where they are coming from, seems they are breeding in the house somewhere. Any helpful advice would be welcome ............ How do we get rid ?

northener
21-Jul-09, 18:37
Why are you hoovering them up?

Kevin Milkins
21-Jul-09, 18:39
I could do with a few more over this end as my tomatoes are not setting as well as I would hope.:confused

George Brims
21-Jul-09, 19:50
Good point. Bees are very useful beasties. In my front garden in California I have a bottle-brush tree, which just finished flowering a few weeks ago, and a mini orange tree. The orange never seems to set fruit properly, but this time the orange happened to blossom at the same time as the bottle brush, which always attracts tons of bees. This time I have over 50 small oranges coming along nicely, instead of the usual 5 or 6.

Venture
21-Jul-09, 19:59
We are having problems with Bumble bees at the moment. My Wife has ( to date ) sucked over 24 into our Vaccum Cleaner with the hose !!! Is anyone else having a problem with these insects ? We have no idea where they are coming from, seems they are breeding in the house somewhere. Any helpful advice would be welcome ............ How do we get rid ?

If you think you have a hive somewhere in the house contact someone who can remove it either someone from the local council or a local bee keeper. Please don't kill them, there is a shortage of bees.:(

Each
21-Jul-09, 20:05
So much for the appocolyptic warning that bees were on the verge of extinction threating the planets food chain ! :D

scaraben
21-Jul-09, 20:24
I'm referring to (What is commonly known in Caithness as ) BLUE BOTTLES rather than Bees ............ Perhaps I missled some ! ........... I think there is a difference, though I'm not knowledgable on the subject myself.

BINBOB
21-Jul-09, 20:33
Bees....bluebottles...bumblebees,,,,,,,,,,wow..i am confused.com;)

Kevin Milkins
21-Jul-09, 20:50
I'm referring to (What is commonly known in Caithness as ) BLUE BOTTLES rather than Bees ............ Perhaps I missled some ! ........... I think there is a difference, though I'm not knowledgable on the subject myself.

If you have a lot of blue bottles then it would be a very good chance that you have something dead lying about, :eek: I should follow your nose.

Vistravi
21-Jul-09, 21:13
big difference. bumblebees sting blue bottles don't scaraben;)

Ugh i hate blue bottles. Hateful disgusting creatures. They lay maggots which just adds to their ickness.

Have you got a infestistion somewhere? Perhaps one hs laid it eggs and you're left with the problem