PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations England

scotsboy
20-Jul-09, 12:53
Well done winning the 2nd Test!!

tonkatojo
20-Jul-09, 13:20

Aye FREDDY looked awesome as did the rest come too think of it.

Do you see him retiring, not me.

scotsboy
20-Jul-09, 13:28
Not seen any of today's play, I have had to make do with text updates on the internet as I am at work.

Flintoff is an enigma.

tonkatojo
20-Jul-09, 13:43
Not seen any of today's play, I have had to make do with text updates on the internet as I am at work.

Flintoff is an enigma.

Freddy 5 for 92 first ashes win at lords since 1934. beat them by 115 runs.

grumpy1
20-Jul-09, 15:15

yay go england. go england go.......

that's me about to get banished again...lol

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 15:34
I do wish I knew what you were all going on about - cricket is a complete mystery to me.

Phrases like: -
"Freddy 5 for 92"...
England avoid the follow on...
Bowling a googly (sounds like a personal problem to me! [lol])
LBW
He bowled a maiden over (well that was careless and I hope he picked her up again afterwards)
blah, blah, blah.....

It's a foreign language to me and simply sounds like they're making it up as they go along. :roll:

And the most mind boggling for me is "England win the second test" Surely the words England and win are not usually used in the same sentence.

JimH
20-Jul-09, 16:31
I do wish I knew what you were all going on about - cricket is a complete mystery to me.

Phrases like: -
"Freddy 5 for 92"...
England avoid the follow on...
Bowling a googly (sounds like a personal problem to me! [lol])
LBW
He bowled a maiden over (well that was careless and I hope he picked her up again afterwards)
blah, blah, blah.....

It's a foreign language to me and simply sounds like they're making it up as they go along. :roll:

And the most mind boggling for me is "England win the second test" Surely the words England and win are not usually used in the same sentence.

Your comments show a serious lack of education, but I'm in the same boat about other LESS serious things! Ho Ho!

porshiepoo
20-Jul-09, 17:22
It's cricket!!!!!!!!! It involves a bat, a ball, throwing and running - nah, don't get the interest. It's as bad as Football, Rugby, tennis etc.

Now fill the screens with Polo, Eventing, Show Jumping and I'd say we have some decent sports on TV. :)

I can't be the minority that finds Cricket soooooooooooo boring? Pointless? and pretty much a waste of air time???????

golach
20-Jul-09, 19:11
Kmahon2001
Here are the simple rules of cricket lol

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game! [lol]

kmahon2001
20-Jul-09, 19:38
Kmahon2001

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game! [lol]

Thank you for the detailed description - it's all as clear as mud. I can't think why I was confused before. Now I'm off out - or is that in then out. [lol]

hails4
20-Jul-09, 20:00
shouldnt this be in the sports section?

emc246
20-Jul-09, 22:03
they shuda lost ha ha

Boozeburglar
20-Jul-09, 23:01
Cricket in my experience is best enjoyed by participation.

Now that does not only mean playing; but also participating in huge amounts of G&T while the sun fries you to a crisp.

I have enjoyed it immensely at my local ground (Lords), and would encourage anyone to go see some live cricket. It is a peculiarly British atmosphere, regardless of the nations involved.

The seemingly languid pace occasionally interrupted by a flurry of points becomes comforting after a while, allowing the mind to wander and take in the vast expanse of sky available. Now and then you actually understand what is happening in the game.

I wonder where the expression 'know the score' comes from?

:)

Tilter
20-Jul-09, 23:25
Cricket used to be lost on me too but then I really got into it during the last ashes tests. Never thought I'd be on the edge of my seat yelling over cricket. This change occurred because I decided to find out a bit about how it worked. It's all at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/rules_and_equipment/default.stm.

Haven't watched this series though as we don't have Skye. Been watching Tour de France - now if I could just figure out what that was all about. But maybe I don't need to and a nice trip to France, including a short session of watching cyclists' legs go by, would do the trick.

Amy-Winehouse
20-Jul-09, 23:48
Cricket is not well recieved up here but Im not afraid to say I enjoy it, the Last Ashes in England was great to watch & Ive had a drink with 1 of the England team so I look to see if hes playing. He wasnt today but Freddie did the biz- I wish Scotland had as good a team, England deserved to win, its lookin like another great series.:D

seadog
20-Jul-09, 23:58
Kmahon2001

Simply put Golach

2little2late
21-Jul-09, 10:04

3 more to go yet. Come on Australia.

northener
21-Jul-09, 12:55
3 more to go yet. Come on Australia.

Ah, the voice of a Scotchman supporting anyone playing Engerlund.;)

I thought we'd gone a few posts without this happening.:Razz

Amy-Winehouse
21-Jul-09, 13:03
Ah, the voice of a Scotchman supporting anyone playing Engerlund.;)

I thought we'd gone a few posts without this happening.:Razz

Sorry mate but he is English as the river Humber, hes on a wind up [lol]

northener
21-Jul-09, 13:19
Damn! ......... I bit like a good 'un.:roll:

Kenn
21-Jul-09, 14:12
Now whether that would be a short or a long slip they could look a little silly mid off or silly mid on and end up in the gulley, just watch out for the googlies!

weeboyagee
21-Jul-09, 17:08
What did they get tested for? And why did they get tested a second time? Did they fail something the first time? It's a shame if they failed it the first time but they should really have failed the second time too if it's England. It's called teaching them humility. Not that England could be taught anything, they already know it all.

So brings me back full circle - if they know it all, why did they get tested and if they failed the first test surely that's proof that they don't know it all. Mind you the won the second test so that probably proves they do know it all .......

..... after all.

Sigh.

WBG :cool:

2little2late
21-Jul-09, 22:44
[QUOTE=northener;576011]Ah, the voice of a Scotchman supporting anyone playing Engerlund.;)

I thought we'd gone a few posts without this happening.:Razz[/QUOTE
Did you mean Scotsman?

2little2late
21-Jul-09, 22:46
Sorry mate but he is English as the river Humber, hes on a wind up [lol]

Yep...........

northener
22-Jul-09, 08:41
[quote=northener;576011]Ah, the voice of a Scotchman supporting anyone playing Engerlund.;)

I thought we'd gone a few posts without this happening.:Razz[/QUOTE
Did you mean Scotsman?

Nope, Scotchman.;)