PDA

View Full Version : Wick Fishing magnates / Philanthropists ?

trinkie
17-Jul-09, 21:46
During the heyday of the Herring Fishing in Wick, great wealth must have poured into the town and I’ve been wondering if any of this was passed on to the townsfolk by a generous Fishing magnate, a handsome public building perhaps.
First I thought the Town Hall might have been a gift, but I’m told that was not the case.
I recently read that the Barrogill Hall was built by donations from the Bridge Street Church and the Wick Laundry girls worked very hard to raise money for the Trinkie Bathing Shelter.
The Henderson family gave Rosebank House and grounds which became the local Maternity Hospital. They also provided an ambulance.
There is a legend in Wick that the Fishermen gave money for the new R.C.Chapel in grateful thanks to Father Lovi for the magnificent work he did during the cholera outbreak in the mid 1800s.
Arthur Bignold gave Wick it’s famous Pilot House.
I’d love to know what the Fishing tycoons gave, I feel there must have been a few philanthropists amongst them .
What can you tell me?

Trinkie

Amy-Winehouse
18-Jul-09, 11:37
They gave the good people of Wick & Pultneytown , millions of barrels of herring to gut , work for the ones that wanted to- cant say whether they gave any buildings but one thing I have noticed is this, every other fishing harbour,dock has a memorial of some sort to the fishermen lost at sea where all can see it- Wick has not, Does anyone know why?

There are wooden benches around the harbour with plaques on them which were kindly donated by the family of the person whose name is on them & most of those are from folk who have died in the last 10 - 15 years R.I.P
Unfortunatley Wick hasnt to my knowledge got any memorial to the fishermen & I think its a shame.

peter macdonald
18-Jul-09, 15:21
Amy Your right it is a disgrace that there is not a monument in Wick I remember suggesting this to a local councillor at the time of the millenium and was told no one would be interested in old stuff like that.

These monuments dont need to be expensive or on a grand scale ,one of the most touching sights are those small stones contained in the whale mans chapel in New Bedford USA (the building mentioned in Melvilles Moby Dick)
Eyemouth has this one
http://www.doughoughton.com/php/imagepage.php?id=160223&image=../webpage/jpg/160/160223.jpg
and I think there is something in Aberdeen as well though its been a while since I was there
The one in Melvich is also very well done.

All best Amy
PM
ps may have found a pic of the Hazel for you!!!

Mosser
18-Jul-09, 15:53
[quote=trinkie;574696]During the heyday of the Herring Fishing in Wick, great wealth must have poured into the town and I’ve been wondering if any of this was passed on to the townsfolk by a generous Fishing magnate, a handsome public building perhaps.

Fishing magnate/Philanthropist? not in the same sentence. Many fine houses built for themselves but I can't think of a single instance of the magnanimous gesture, quite sad really. Shame too that there is no commemoration of all the seamen of the town who laboured and often perished pursuing a living.

Amy-Winehouse
18-Jul-09, 16:27
Campaign !!!

Memorial for those lost at sea from Wick & Pultneytown, there have been many so the councillor you spoke to is an idiot as far as Im concerned[disgust] I cant believe he actually uttered that, absolutely astonishing!!

trinkie
18-Jul-09, 16:52
Thank you for replying.
Amy, I think it's very sad that there is no Memorial for the Seamen lost at sea, and Peter the person you spoke to was completely out of order and he should be told so. Was he speaking for the people of Wick ? I think not.
Thank you for bringing this subject up, perhaps something could be done to rectify this.
However that's not what my Thread was about although I hope you will continue to look into this worthy cause.

Mosser, I am surprised that there is no sign of a great gift to the town. I had hoped there would be a list for me to check out ! I thought I was missing something. How sad, and yet plenty of money was made and the overheads would not have been that great. Most of the Yards were in the open, the women worked outside in all weathers for little money. There would have been a horse and cart or two, to be looked after, and maybe eventually a lorry, but not a huge amount of overheads.
Well it's too late now I suppose.

bonami
18-Jul-09, 21:44
There should be some sort of memorial to fishermen from Wick lost at sea at the harbour. After all it was fishing that made Wick what it is today. Maybe now with all the work going on there this could be included. It would be a nice touch.

catran
18-Jul-09, 21:46
Thank you for replying.
Amy, I think it's very sad that there is no Memorial for the Seamen lost at sea, and Peter the person you spoke to was completely out of order and he should be told so. Was he speaking for the people of Wick ? I think not.
Thank you for bringing this subject up, perhaps something could be done to rectify this.
However that's not what my Thread was about although I hope you will continue to look into this worthy cause.

Mosser, I am surprised that there is no sign of a great gift to the town. I had hoped there would be a list for me to check out ! I thought I was missing something. How sad, and yet plenty of money was made and the overheads would not have been that great. Most of the Yards were in the open, the women worked outside in all weathers for little money. There would have been a horse and cart or two, to be looked after, and maybentually a lorry, but not a huge amount of overheads.
Well it's too late now I suppose.
How true I am all with you in this one