PDA

View Full Version : Lack of respect = Lack of dicipline

balto
09-Jul-09, 21:28
Have been reading a post on my thread about thurso beach, and in y oppinion the problem is simple there is no dicipline for kids anymore, whether it be at school or at home you just arent allowed to say or do anything, so the kids are just left to run amok.

I mind when i was little at school we used to get the belt, and my god you knew all about it if you did and you never did anything wrong again, so in my eyes if we step up the dicipline then these thugs might be put in their place.

teenybash
09-Jul-09, 21:32
Good old fashioned common sense Balto.........we live in a society where there are little or no consequences and for everyones sake, this should be changed...otherwise how are kids going to learn that self dicipline will serve them well in life.

BINBOB
09-Jul-09, 21:36
Completely agree with both comments.Discipline is needed in every area of life.........something the younger[not all] generation have not a clue about.They seem to think the world owes them from birth and they can do as they please ,with no recourse.
I thrived,as a child ,with discipline,both at school and home.It still figures in my daily life...........;)

balto
09-Jul-09, 21:39
Completely agree with both comments.Discipline is needed in every area of life.........something the younger[not all] generation have not a clue about.They seem to think the world owes them from birth and they can do as they please ,with no recourse.
I thrived,as a child ,with discipline,both at school and home.It still figures in my daily life...........;)
we were the same, you did wrong you were punished for it, now if you say anyting to the kids these days they just threaten to phone childline, just crazy.

Stack Rock
09-Jul-09, 21:44
Disipline begins at home - it's up to the parents. Unfortunately some of them think its the responsibility of others, like school teachers!!!!!!!!!!
Dread to think what the next generation will be like.

PantsMAN
09-Jul-09, 21:45
I mind when i was little at school we used to get the belt, and my god you knew all about it if you did and you never did anything wrong again, so in my eyes if we step up the dicipline then these thugs might be put in their place.

May one ask how long ago you were in school - it will give perspective on when the problems started?

grumpy1
09-Jul-09, 21:49
I personally think they should reinforce national service....i really do believe the country would be better off for it....leave school straight into an armed force... the army would soon sort em out

balto
09-Jul-09, 21:50
Disipline begins at home - it's up to the parents. Unfortunately some of them think its the responsibility of others, like school teachers!!!!!!!!!!
Dread to think what the next generation will be like.
but you arent allowed to even give then a slap on the bck of the hand anymore, thankfully my kids arent that bad that i need to worry about it to much.

May one ask how long ago you were in school - it will give perspective on when the problems started?
i attended school most likly for the same lenght of time as you did, i was using that as an example, i was never a bad one a school.

PantsMAN
09-Jul-09, 21:52
i attended school most likly for the same lenght of time as you did, i was using that as an example, i was never a bad one a school.

Sorry, I didn't make my request clear enough - were you for instance, at secondary school in the 50s, 60s, 70s or what?

balto
09-Jul-09, 21:54
Sorry, I didn't make my request clear enough - were you for instance, at secondary school in the 50s, 60s, 70s or what?
aye ok sorry, i started primary school in 79 i think.

grumpy1
09-Jul-09, 21:56

id like to add comment here but i wont..i'll be good..did you not know PantsMan she only 18 (again) just turned

balto
09-Jul-09, 21:57
id like to add comment here but i wont..i'll be good..did you not know PantsMan she only 18 (again) just turned
sssh your not ment to tell a ladys age. sorry did i say lady lol

grumpy1
09-Jul-09, 21:58
sssh your not ment to tell a ladys age. sorry did i say lady lol

SORRY BALTO...(head held in shame)

PantsMAN
09-Jul-09, 22:00
It may be interesting to note that -
"And in 1980 a study by Edinburgh University's Centre for Educational Sociology, conducted among 40,000 school leavers, showed that only 1 in 20 boys went through secondary school without getting the tawse ("Children under shadow of the belt", Daily Record, 26 November 1980.) This suggests a considerably higher level of usage of CP overall than the average in England and Wales."

IMHO - given we are talking about today's yougsters, it is people who were children in the 60s and 70s who banned the belt and who changed society into what it is today. I reckon that the Thatcher era, with its focus on personal wealth and the 'grab it while you can' philosophy, has much to answer for the society we now face.

mrsinkstack
09-Jul-09, 22:17
Have been reading a post on my thread about thurso beach, and in y oppinion the problem is simple there is no dicipline for kids anymore, whether it be at school or at home you just arent allowed to say or do anything, so the kids are just left to run amok.

Let's all go back to the dark ages then - you don't have to lash your bairns with a belt to teach them respect and discipline. I have three kids, they are well mannered and they behave themselves, I can take them anywhere without any hassle.I would never dream of hitting out at any of them.
I used to regularly get lashed with a belt or a slipper when I was little and TBH it made me very resentlful, I didn't really do anything to deserve it.
I do agree that a lot of children are out of control but it's the parents who need educating, not the bairns to be lashed with a belt !! :(
I've seen people walloping their bairns across the back of the head or screaming in their faces - there is no need for it. Treat your kids with the respect that they deserve and they'll repay you for it in the end ! I'm not a wishy washy liberal who doesn't believe in smacking but there really must be a limit and I'm afraid, in my humble opinion, corporal punishment is over stepping it !

balto
09-Jul-09, 22:20
Let's all go back to the dark ages then - you don't have to lash your bairns with a belt to teach them respect and discipline. I have three kids, they are well mannered and they behave themselves, I can take them anywhere without any hassle.I would never dream of hitting out at any of them.
I used to regularly get lashed with a belt or a slipper when I was little and TBH it made me very resentlful, I didn't really do anything to deserve it.
I do agree that a lot of children are out of control but it's the parents who need educating, not the bairns to be lashed with a belt !! :(
I've seen people walloping their bairns across the back of the head or screaming in their faces - there is no need for it. Treat your kids with the respect that they deserve and they'll repay you for it in the end ! I'm not a wishy washy liberal who doesn't believe in smacking but there really must be a limit and I'm afraid, in my humble opinion, corporal punishment is over stepping it !didnt say to go back to the dark ages, just think a bit of dicipline wouldnt go wrong, i myself have 4 kids and know they behave outside the house.

sweetpea
09-Jul-09, 22:29
we were the same, you did wrong you were punished for it, now if you say anyting to the kids these days they just threaten to phone childline, just crazy.

I mind getting rows from the neighbours and my pals mum and dads but if I went running to my mum she backed them up, not me. That sort of thing is missing now, like someone said it is good old fashioned common sense.

squidge
09-Jul-09, 22:30
I agree

I was strapped at school and i dont think it made me behave better. Respect breeds respect and not screaming in a child's face or knocking them off their feet is a good place to start. I would not allow any teacher or any other individual to physically discipline my children. I do not agree that coporal punishment makes any difference or teaches respect.

That doesnt mean that i dont beleive in smacking a child. I think there is a place for a smacked hand, bottom or legs in a loving home where it forms part of a disciplinary tool kit. That does not include punching kicking or hitting with any object btw. You are right to say discipline begins at home - it absilutely does but so many parents have lost their way with it. It seems to me that some parents cant say no to their children, and are afraid that disciplining them will somehow embarras their children so they avoid confronting things with them.

sweetpea
09-Jul-09, 22:42
Another time I mind is a mobile grocer van used to come round my Nana's every night and I stole a penny sweetie and she took me to the van next night and made me say sorry, needless to say I never stole again.

Oddquine
09-Jul-09, 23:44
I can't see a problem with the dark ages............I lived in them............and would not have considered behaving as badly in company as so many children do today. We had discipline and boundaries from toddling age and none the worse for it.

But I feel the difference today is not that lack of respect= lack of discipline.......but that lack of discipline=lack of respect. Children need parents to behave like parents..........not best friends or wishy washy doormats. I am often horrified at the way I hear children of primary school age and under talking to their parents......there is no respect there at all.

Too many parents forget that if they allow young children to dictate at home, they will do the same outside...........if they put up with bad behaviour at home for the sake of a quiet life, that bad behaviour will be carried outside the home. If you do not teach your children to respect your property and their property, they will not respect other people's property.

I was always taught to respect all adults until they gave me a good reason not to respect them, but it looks today as if many children because of the current "respect has to be earned" ethos are brought up with no respect for other people, other people's property or authority.......and too many never learn it.

I despair of many of the parents of the current and future generations, because they are doing their children no favours at all. Unless they intend to keep their children within their own four walls for life, they are, at some stage, going to have to go out into the real world......and I don't know who will get the biggest shock........them or us.

golach
10-Jul-09, 00:08

I would say that it is the reverse, lack of discipline = lack of respect.

PantsMAN
10-Jul-09, 00:13
It would seem that those who are to blame are the parents then. That would be people between the ages of what, 25 - 45?

Anyone posting here of that age, with unruly kids?

No?

Then where do these kids come from?

greenasiamcabbagelooking
10-Jul-09, 00:16
Balto, Teeny etc ... mind when you were at school and you had at least one radge kid who wouldn't respond to detention, belt, beatings etc ... ?

well guess what ... since then they've had kids as well.

and their kids will have kids and so your grandkids will complain on the org about how they have no respect etc ....

there will always be unruly, feral little mentalists going about, there always has been.... and i hate to say it, there always will be :(

discipline wasn't lost when we banned the belt, the nutters i was at school with didn't care if they got the belt, they got worse at home.

we have to remember that the problem kids are a small minority and most of our young Caithenssians are stand up citizens who also look down on these 'problem youths' dragging their reputation down.

the kids that do have a 'bad attitude' or no respect for their community are more often than not a product of a family who for generations have been the same.

i wholeheartedly agree that the parents are to blame, but we need to reach out and connect with these kids and make them feel that they have a part in our community, until then, they'll just go on and have some sprogs at a young age who will grow up to repeat what they know .... ad infinitum ....... :eek:

Vistravi
10-Jul-09, 01:54
I would say that it is the reverse, lack of discipline = lack of respect.

Aye golach i believe that is true too.

Children have to know when they do something wrong and they must pay the price for it. As an example, a child kicks another child or an adult, there is no way that child is going to get away with it. In many cases with small children a time out does the trick. They will be missing out on a fun activity due to whatever they did wrong be it snatching a toy and pushing the other child when he/she protested. it makes them think.

Going back to the old way of doing things is not going to happen but by explaining to a child clearly and simply according to their age why they cannot do something and carrying out on any threats you make is the way to ensure that they respect you and do as their told.

The worst thing you can do as a parent is fail to deliver your threats out such as not getting to play with a toy due to their negative behaviour or having to do a time out.

It's hard going on time out when a child persitingly does the naughty thing when the child screams and screams. In the end you have to have selective hearing and only hear the postive things such as the child silently sitting doing their time out and saying sorry. With praise they will see that that doing negative things to get attention isn't nesscarily.

No praise when doing something postive but loads of attention when doing negative things is a viscious circle. A child will see where they can get the most attention and will do that to get the attention. So to avoid the viscious circle parents and carers have to ensure they make a fuss of the postive things the child does and to always praise them when they are doing the right thing and what you want them to do. an example would be when walking when the child who often tries to let go of your hand and run off is walking nicely holding you hand. it is important to let them know you like what they are doing and are happy with them for taking your hand. if you don;t do it then they'll carry on letting go and running off or trying to. Small children love to please you and to see you happy with what they are doing. When they see that doing something in a certain way makes you smile and praise them they will carry on doing it.

Hollow threats, shouting etc acheive nothing. The child learns that you won't carry your threats out and become used to be shouting at and will properly shout and scream back at you.

Discipline starts at home and when carried out properly by parents from a young age the child will always respect an adults authority and will know the penalty for doing something they are not allowed to do.

It is our job as parents and their carers to ensure that children know the penalty of their crimes so to speak. if we do not teach our children discipline and respect then they will grow up with no regard for anyone else. We as their teachers have to teach them what is important in life and how to treat other people. It's never a hard task as you start it from a young age by reminding them to watch where they are going as john is there and you are hurting him. they won't understand untill they are about 2 and a half but it is there untill they fully understand.

I'm going to stop now, lol Children is a topic i could go on for hours about. :lol:

Vistravi
10-Jul-09, 02:04
[quote=mrsinkstack;571563I do agree that a lot of children are out of control but it's the parents who need educating, not the bairns to be lashed with a belt !! :(
[/quote]

exactly, who do children learn from in the first place? ;)

Serenity
10-Jul-09, 03:15
I agree with this. Unfortunately when I was at school the belt had already been abolished. This meant I had to share classes full of people who didn't want to learn and did all they did to disturb the class with the teacher unable to do anything.
I know some people will come back at me to say there are other ways of controlling these kind of children so they don't ruin other kids education but these weresn;t available when I was there and I don't know if they are available now.
What hurt would a belt slap do to a kid anyway? I probably deserved one or two and would have just dealt with it. You reap what you deserve after all. Even from a young age. The only problem I can see with that is some people thinking it means voilence in general is available.
So honestly I don't know. The only answer I can see is segregate the kids who are not taught respect from their parents, put the parents in a parenting class and before any starts it yes if they have adhd etc (and it is PROPERLY diagnosed and not just used as an excuse from parents who can't control their kids) then get in some people to help them integrate.
Basically my point is why let children of parents who can't be bothered teaching basic respect ruin every other kids education?

BINBOB
10-Jul-09, 07:06
I've seen people walloping their bairns across the back of the head or screaming in their faces - there is no need for it. Treat your kids with the respect that they deserve and they'll repay you for it in the end ! I'm not a wishy washy liberal who doesn't believe in smacking but there really must be a limit and I'm afraid, in my humble opinion, corporal punishment is over stepping it !

Discipline does not mean corporal punishment....;)

Flashman
10-Jul-09, 08:42

I agree somewhat with that, it is definatly the parents who need to get a grip and corporal punishment is defintly no quick fix answer... it goes much deeper than that and I think is a problem with societys attitude nowadays.

But I think there is a place for physical punishment aswell if needed and used correctly.

I got the slipper from both my mum and dad when I was wee, now my mum I did not care about as she could not hit hard but my dad left my bottie roaring red and it sure as hell taught me where the line was! lol.

grumpy1
10-Jul-09, 09:33
Just reading some of these comments and it makes for a very interesting debate...i must say...

there is far too much of the opinion that my child is great i know my child behaves, my bairn wouldn't do that an all that jazz..
i myself have 3 kids which i feel i am doing my best with..im trying to instill the values i myself were brought up with, i can be quite hard on my kids an yes they sometimes resent me for it (having to go to bed before 9.00pm..i make them do chores around the house etc)... now although i am confident that my kids behave in public..i also no that just sometimes they will push the limit.... if my kids cross the line they are dealt with appropriately...what i find is that too many parents only think they live on the moral high ground and when push comes to shove its usually theryre kids that are influencing the problems that are seen in others..and as a result they are never dealt with because (in words too often heard) "my kid's wouldn't do that"....well news flash they probably do....

Venture
10-Jul-09, 10:50
There always seems to be threads on here criticising the young of today. Hardly ever do I see one praising them. Take a look at the recent front pages of the org or the local papers and you will see just how many of our younger generation spend their time and what they have achieved. Far too often the younger generation in our county are all tarred with the same brush. The majority of our local teenagers are well behaved, good mannered and do respect other people and their property etc.

Many adults today forget that they were once teenagers and that each generation had it's faults. None of us can say we were a "goodie two shoes" all of the time. The majority of parents do a wonderful job with their children and they turn into good upstanding adults. Blaming the lack of physical punishment both at home and school as the reason for some children going astray is rubbish. Nobody should need to physically assault a child to get a message across, there are better methods.

Children who go of the rails are not always from disfunctional families with parents who couldn't give a toss about respect for anything. Parents who have brought up their children well have often been shocked at just what their son or daughter can get up to once they step outside the front door. Everything they have ever taught them goes flying out the window when peer pressure rears its ugly head. Sometimes children, expecially teenagers, will do anything to fit in with the crowd even although they know, that by doing so, it goes against everything that their parents have ever taught them. It's amazing just how many teenagers from good homes end up flying with the crows and getting shot.

Personally I wouldn't want to be a teenager today, the pressure from parents, school and peers must at times be overwhelming. Perhaps a little more help and understanding and less "preaching" from the fine upstanding, non-drinking, non-swearing, non-violent, well behaved adults amongst us, might not go amiss. Of course that's if they can find the time in their busy lives.;)

bobbyrussell09
10-Jul-09, 10:59
I agree somewhat with that, it is definatly the parents who need to get a grip and corporal punishment is defintly no quick fix answer... it goes much deeper than that and I think is a problem with societys attitude nowadays.

But I think there is a place for physical punishment aswell if needed and used correctly.

I got the slipper from both my mum and dad when I was wee, now my mum I did not care about as she could not hit hard but my dad left my bottie roaring red and it sure as hell taught me where the line was! lol.
think you need the slipper prob more now than what u did lad lol:lol:

Flashman
10-Jul-09, 11:43
think you need the slipper prob more now than what u did lad lol:lol:

Ha ha ha that's prob very true!

The Angel Of Death
10-Jul-09, 11:47
I'm the same i got the slipper or the wellie boot when i was younger and once even the brush but i knew the boundries and when to stop but all in all it never did me anyharm (if anythign taught me to be flyer and not get caught) nowadays you cant do anything move a hair out of place and your reported

Remember the news where a dad spanked (ohhh errr) his child in a dentist surgery for misbehaving after several warnings and got taken to court for child abuse what is there for parents nowadays when the hippy pc naughty step / timeout (no not the tasty sweet) fails to work ?

Flashman
10-Jul-09, 11:55
I'm the same i got the slipper or the wellie boot when i was younger and once even the brush but i knew the boundries and when to stop but all in all it never did me anyharm (if anythign taught me to be flyer and not get caught) nowadays you cant do anything move a hair out of place and your reported

Remember the news where a dad spanked (ohhh errr) his child in a dentist surgery for misbehaving after several warnings and got taken to court for child abuse what is there for parents nowadays when the hippy pc naughty step / timeout (no not the tasty sweet) fails to work ?

Wellie boot..ats harsh lad! lol

Yeah there is alot of Social Engineers floating about nowadays in power....

The sort of Liberal elitist who thinks that they way they bring up their children in their quiet upper-middle class village should be the same for a child living on a hard working class area of Glasgow.

It's up to the parents to decide how to bring up their child not the government .

WickWitch
10-Jul-09, 12:02
When I was at school if I got into trouble then I was also chastised by my parents. Now if a child gets told off at school too many parents side with the child instead of backing up the teacher. Many parents want to be their child's friend and don't discipline their children. I am constantly amazed when parents say that they have no control over their three year old!
Good manners cost nothing and that goes for adults as well as children. There seems to be a lack of respect in all walks of life now. All anyone can do is to not accept bad behaviour from anyone. If I get bad service I complain but if I get good service I make a point of letting their supervisor know. There are lots of brilliant kids around but there are lots of really bad parents too!.You don't need to beat a child to instill respect and discipline. It takes time, patience, discipline and lots of love to bring up a child properly but so many parents can't be bothered. It is easier to stick them in front of a DVD or computer game, feed them junk food and give them whatever they ask for. Yes, it is hard to say no at times but in the long run it is better for the child.
Children have been given too many rights without the balance of responsibilities..........
And now that I have polished my halo I shall don my superwoman outfit and go and rescue the world :lol:

The Angel Of Death
10-Jul-09, 12:06
Exactly but at present parents seem to be more afraid and plenty get threatened with the "touch me and I'll call childline" line now I do agree with them being there for abuse cases but come on if your misbehaving expect a clout after a warning there are way to many kids that turned out ok and plenty that it installed a since of discipline within them as well and way to many out there that are running off the rails because they are not disciplined

Just out of curiosity how many people was threatened with getting sent to the children's home when they were wee ?

BINBOB
10-Jul-09, 12:59
:roll:
Exactly but at present parents seem to be more afraid and plenty get threatened with the "touch me and I'll call childline" line now I do agree with them being there for abuse cases but come on if your misbehaving expect a clout after a warning there are way to many kids that turned out ok and plenty that it installed a since of discipline within them as well and way to many out there that are running off the rails because they are not disciplined

Just out of curiosity how many people was threatened with getting sent to the children's home when they were wee ?

It was not the childrens home...but some secret person called TARRY FEET.I had visions of a great tar dripping man coming to get me...never happened,and It did me no harm..no nightmares..nothing.:roll:

mrsinkstack
10-Jul-09, 14:05
Balto, Teeny etc ... mind when you were at school and you had at least one radge kid who wouldn't respond to detention, belt, beatings etc ... ?

well guess what ... since then they've had kids as well.

and their kids will have kids and so your grandkids will complain on the org about how they have no respect etc ....

there will always be unruly, feral little mentalists going about, there always has been.... and i hate to say it, there always will be :(

discipline wasn't lost when we banned the belt, the nutters i was at school with didn't care if they got the belt, they got worse at home.

we have to remember that the problem kids are a small minority and most of our young Caithenssians are stand up citizens who also look down on these 'problem youths' dragging their reputation down.

the kids that do have a 'bad attitude' or no respect for their community are more often than not a product of a family who for generations have been the same.

i wholeheartedly agree that the parents are to blame, but we need to reach out and connect with these kids and make them feel that they have a part in our community, until then, they'll just go on and have some sprogs at a young age who will grow up to repeat what they know .... ad infinitum ....... :eek:

This of course makes a lot of sense but don't you think that back when we were kids that one 'radge' kid as you put it, cause we all had one, there might have been something underlying that was making them like that ? Possibly ADHD, Aspergers, from a poor home, problems at home etc. I do believe that it is a visious circle, that those children only know one way to behave and then in turn teach their own children etc. But then that is the time when this small minority of people should be educated how to 'parent' properly. To break that cycle ? Surely this is when the health system would kick in, health visitors, social workers etc. It's basic phsycology or possibly biology - the whole nature verses nurture argument.

scorrie
10-Jul-09, 14:59
There always seems to be threads on here criticising the young of today. Hardly ever do I see one praising them. Take a look at the recent front pages of the org or the local papers and you will see just how many of our younger generation spend their time and what they have achieved. Far too often the younger generation in our county are all tarred with the same brush. The majority of our local teenagers are well behaved, good mannered and do respect other people and their property etc.

Many adults today forget that they were once teenagers and that each generation had it's faults. None of us can say we were a "goodie two shoes" all of the time. The majority of parents do a wonderful job with their children and they turn into good upstanding adults. Blaming the lack of physical punishment both at home and school as the reason for some children going astray is rubbish. Nobody should need to physically assault a child to get a message across, there are better methods.

Children who go of the rails are not always from disfunctional families with parents who couldn't give a toss about respect for anything. Parents who have brought up their children well have often been shocked at just what their son or daughter can get up to once they step outside the front door. Everything they have ever taught them goes flying out the window when peer pressure rears its ugly head. Sometimes children, expecially teenagers, will do anything to fit in with the crowd even although they know, that by doing so, it goes against everything that their parents have ever taught them. It's amazing just how many teenagers from good homes end up flying with the crows and getting shot.

Personally I wouldn't want to be a teenager today, the pressure from parents, school and peers must at times be overwhelming. Perhaps a little more help and understanding and less "preaching" from the fine upstanding, non-drinking, non-swearing, non-violent, well behaved adults amongst us, might not go amiss. Of course that's if they can find the time in their busy lives.;)

Today's parents are too busy worrying about when ASDA is coming, if WE are going to get a Pizza Hut and crying at Susan Boyle, to be able to get involved in bringing up their children properly.

mrsinkstack
10-Jul-09, 15:45
Discipline does not mean corporal punishment....;)

I was being flippant and obviously over exaggerating :) I do believe that children should be disciplined and if that means a smack on the back of the hand etc, then fine, I've done it myself but lashing them with a belt, slipper or the cane at school is a bit extreme in my opinion. I got it when I was young, it did do me harm in the respect that it knocked my confidence. Usually when my parents 'lashed out ' at me was in a temper, not in control of the situation, what's the point in that ? Don't get me wrong, I have lost the head with my kids when I'm having a bad day or they've pushed me to my limit and end up shouting at them, I'm not perfect but then I feel terrible afterwards, surely the best way for your kids to learn from you is to lead by example? Do you want little Johnnie to go to school and batter other kids ? I feel that violence breeds violence and that can't be good :(

rich
10-Jul-09, 15:47
The cruellest torture of innocent wee kids happened, not just in Thurso, but right across the British Empire (or its remnants) in 1953. (Was it '53????I think it was-).

On that day we were taken in classes to see the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth. This is the most boring movie ever made. I'm sure the SAS shows it to break down the resistance of captured Al Quaida members:

"Tell us what we need to know or we will give you smells and bells with the Archbishop of Canterbury or Queen Salote of Tonga will come and sit on you."

We were all given a mug with dolly mixtures in them. Quite useless, we should have got narcotics instead.

But here's the last word in sadism:

The school showing of the coronation was on a Friday. The only thing that kept us from cracking completely from the coronation ordeal was the thought that on Saturday we would go to the morning movies show where - a week before - in the serial "Deadwood Dick and the Ghost Riders - our hero, fearless Dick, was hurled from the roof of a speeding train by the leading villain - the SKULL. (Very nifty use of fluorescent paint in the skull costume)

So was Deadwood Dick doomed? We never found out. Instead we got - all over again - THE CORONATION MOVIE. (Minus the mug of dolly mixtures)

Give me the belt any time!

scorrie
10-Jul-09, 16:43
Give me the belt any time!

There is a large, virtual, queue forming as I type ;)

Thumper
10-Jul-09, 16:57
I can see both sides of the argument,but what I will say is that there are lots of parents who not only refuse to disipline their children but actually accuse others children of wrong doing even when their child was seen doing it! I have had terrible trouble with one of my neighbours who has decided that because I am a single parent my children must be to blame for everything that goes wrong in the street!Recently another neighbour caught her children throwing stones in her garden and when she went to speak to the mum she said it was my child and she had seen him do it-even though the other neighbour saw her child do it and my child wasnt even there!She then went on to say that if her children were not allowed near the neighbours garden my child "had better be banned too"! At first I used to apoligise and ground my children just to keep the peace in the street but not anymore,if my children do wrong they are punished but I am damned if I will punish them just to keep Hyacinth Bucket happy! [disgust] x

badger
10-Jul-09, 19:28
Too many parents hide behind "medical conditions" these days when all that's needed is a sensible healthy diet, plenty of exercise instead of sitting glued to computer/tv and time spent instead of money with a few lessons on how to behave thrown in.

I was shocked recently to read about a mother whose son was threatened with an ASBO and she claimed he needed medication because he had ODD - Oppositional Defiant Disorder - which meant whatever he was asked to do, he did the opposite. I thought that was what children did unless taught otherwise but what do I know? There's a name for everything it seems. There's another one called CD - Conduct Disorder. If you don't believe me, try Googling.

balto
10-Jul-09, 19:36
Too many parents hide behind "medical conditions" these days when all that's needed is a sensible healthy diet, plenty of exercise instead of sitting glued to computer/tv and time spent instead of money with a few lessons on how to behave thrown in.

I was shocked recently to read about a mother whose son was threatened with an ASBO and she claimed he needed medication because he had ODD - Oppositional Defiant Disorder - which meant whatever he was asked to do, he did the opposite. I thought that was what children did unless taught otherwise but what do I know? There's a name for everything it seems. There's another one called CD - Conduct Disorder. If you don't believe me, try Googling.
i total agree with you, i have always said that a badly behaved child the parent will be quick to say the child has ocd, i know there are real cases of it, but majority i think is just bad behaviour needing an excuse.

Vistravi
10-Jul-09, 20:06
I can see both sides of the argument,but what I will say is that there are lots of parents who not only refuse to disipline their children but actually accuse others children of wrong doing even when their child was seen doing it! I have had terrible trouble with one of my neighbours who has decided that because I am a single parent my children must be to blame for everything that goes wrong in the street!Recently another neighbour caught her children throwing stones in her garden and when she went to speak to the mum she said it was my child and she had seen him do it-even though the other neighbour saw her child do it and my child wasnt even there!She then went on to say that if her children were not allowed near the neighbours garden my child "had better be banned too"! At first I used to apoligise and ground my children just to keep the peace in the street but not anymore,if my children do wrong they are punished but I am damned if I will punish them just to keep Hyacinth Bucket happy! [disgust] x

That is awful thumper. You're neighbour has no right to tar you with that brush. its not what kind of family a child ahs its how they're parents bring them up. Don't live the quiet life for the sake of it. it only delays the time it'll take for everyone else to realise that you are not the problem tis your neightbour.

Serenity
14-Jul-09, 22:12
Discipline/respect: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peterharvey/

The Angel Of Death
14-Jul-09, 23:33
The thing is that man should never have been back in the classroom he was potentially a ticking time bomb however add kids with no or lack of respect (if any) and well you all know the results not saying any of it is right it just seems to me that the press are spinning this as a teacher going nuts etc etc without giving all the picture away first of all

What you will prob find is that he was pressured back into the job sooner for fear of loosing it