PDA

View Full Version : grass!!!!

miller30
04-Jul-09, 22:09
hi,

last year i tried to plant grass seed in our childrens play area bit of the garden but it has been a total waste of time as the weeds are sooooo thick in it, and by this i mean big thistle's, now the children cant really play on it without being pured, i did kill the weeds before planting but they are just as bad.

so do i have to dig the whole lot up and then spray all the weeds then try again with the grass seed??

mabye i should just get someone in who knows what they are doing?? how much does a good gardener cost?? any suggestions on who i could get?

Aaldtimer
05-Jul-09, 03:07
miller 30..."now the children cant really play on it without being pured"...what is being "pured"?:confused
A selective weedkiller should solve the problem.:)

Lingland
05-Jul-09, 12:03
miller 30..."now the children cant really play on it without being pured"...what is being "pured"?:confused
A selective weedkiller should solve the problem.:)
not more complaints about spelling im sure you know what he meant aaldtimer

Scunner
05-Jul-09, 13:15
Try some spot weeding - ie 24 hour weedkiller - if you dig it up you may break up the roots and hey presto more weeds. I don't really like using weedkiller, but found the 24 hour stuff to work if you spray when it is sunny. Hope this helps.

Aaldtimer
05-Jul-09, 16:10
not more complaints about spelling im sure you know what he meant aaldtimer
No no, genuine question! Just can't think of what it means...even if is a typo and not a local expression!:confused

gleeber
05-Jul-09, 16:29
Aye, it's a typo. Purred as in stung with nettles.:)

Aaldtimer
05-Jul-09, 20:10
Ah, I see now, though I'm unfamiliar with that usage of the word.
I've been "purred-up" by people many a time, but never thought it could mean stung in the literal sense!:)

Lingland
05-Jul-09, 20:58
Sorry Aaldtimer I thought you were having a go. I must admit it is a long time since I heard or used the word "purred" we dont use these sort of words often enough I have forgotten a lot of them.

miller30
07-Jul-09, 11:03
sorry for the typo, should of read it back!!

purred is a very common word round my way, have always used it and so do my family and children. It is a very local word, as lots of people use this word.

Highland lad
07-Jul-09, 19:53
How often do you cut your grass?

You need to be cutting it every week in the growing season and quite short. This will help keep most of the weeds at bay.

Good Luck

Beat Bug
17-Aug-09, 23:25
Thistles and most other weeds will come out quite easily after some rain, while the ground is soft. Hold it firmly near the base, and pull gently. The whole root should come up, and the grass will then thicken up. I'm working on my lawn like this, and it's working. As for dock, I'm told that if you paint the new leaves in the centre with weed killer, it will take it down to the roots. That way you won't kill off the grass.

Scunner
18-Aug-09, 00:18
try and ease the roots a little with a small garden fork. makes them easier to pull up.