PDA

View Full Version : Side shows in Wick

WICKER09
04-Jul-09, 16:10
I see the sideshows have arrived in Wick but what a JOKE a OLD WALTER and a DodgemTrack.
The Dodgems are fairly new and not been in Wick before but the Walter i remember from some 30 years ago when it was a speedway.
The kids deserve better than this.:confused

Julia
04-Jul-09, 16:47
The side shows have never changed not as far as I've noticed in my lifetime anyway. I'll take the kids but it will be a one-time visit only due to the expense. Do side shows need to adhere to some kind or safety regulations?

Miss Mack
04-Jul-09, 17:14
:lol:Who's Old Walter ! ! !

Connor.
04-Jul-09, 17:21
I personally have lost interest in the sideshows, even as a kid. They were boring and i soon learned the value of the money that i was throwing away.

It has gone down the drain as of late, looking at the rides and such.

It should be better :roll:

teddybear1873
04-Jul-09, 19:35
All that the sideshows was good for was for meeting up with the girls and having a snog....Ohhhhhh the memories lol.

ShelleyCowie
04-Jul-09, 21:14
All that the sideshows was good for was for meeting up with the girls and having a snog....Ohhhhhh the memories lol.

Aw yuck! Mental image! :eek:

Must run in e family tho! [lol]

american gal
04-Jul-09, 21:20
The dodgie cars were here lastyear i went on them with my loiitle girl and found that they go too fast therfore when you bumo the other cars it is quile a big impact i thought that i broke my ribs but it was just bad bruising my child loved it never the less. I wonder what safty regulations the have to abide to?

thebigman
05-Jul-09, 00:32
They have to follow the Health and Safety at Work Act like any other business. They are monitored by the H&S Executive and the Council checks on inspection reports each year.

The owners are members of the Showman's Guild and never had any problems with them in Caithness.

im behind you
05-Jul-09, 09:18
they are just a family trying to make a pound. but in all honestly i dont i dont bother with it. i take the kids down to the black isle show instead. ace fun

hotrod4
05-Jul-09, 10:26
Havent taken the kids for years, they dont want to go and that suits me, its severly over inflated prices for the same stuff every year, even if they gave them a lick of paint at least you could see where the money goes.

DEEKER
05-Jul-09, 10:58
although a few of the wallis family(who have been coming to wick for approx 100 years!) have retired in recent years, there should be more shows up soon as they dont all come up at the same time...due to the amount of rent they are charged by the council i'm surprised they come up at all.there are only a few local show days where they can actually make a reasonable living, and thats weather permiting(at least this year, so far, people cant say "they took the rain up with them") and like i said on a similar thread last year i for one dont fancy the riverside gala and bonfire without them!

cuthill
05-Jul-09, 13:03
The Bouncy Castle kept going down last year and when the man tried grabbing a wee boy out before it deflated he banged the wee boys head and the mother was going mad { quite right to } where was the health and safety that day,also the thick black smoke from the generator.

KCI
05-Jul-09, 13:28
I think it's a shame that we seem to have this debate every year! If you don't like the sideshows, then just don't go. If you think they are too expensive, just don't spend your money there.
The sideshows have been part of Summer in Wick for so many years, and I think it would be a great loss if we didn't have them. OK - they are not fantastic, and sometimes it would be nice to have some other rides etc, but at the end of the day, it's still something for the kids to look forward to. Not everyone can afford to take their kids to the bigger fairground places like Codonas etc, so this is the only fairground that some kids can enjoy.
They still have to follow Health and Safety Regulations, and they have to work hard for their money.
It's just a bit of fun for the kids, and if they weren't safe, they wouldn't still be operating.