PDA

View Full Version : No more injections for diabetics

pultneytooner
18-Mar-06, 13:38
Might be some good news for diabetics in the future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4674386.stm

weefee
18-Mar-06, 15:48
there is also an implant coming out with slow release insulin, and pancreas transplants are also getting more common...fingers crossed this condition will be cureable in the next decade....

weefee
18-Mar-06, 15:53
Islet transplants: the success continues

Normally islets from two or three donor
pancreases are used for islet cell transplants
but recently the Royal Free Hospital in London
announced positive results after a woman with
Type 1 diabetes received islets from just one
donor pancreas. Within a day of the transplant
her insulin requirements had dropped
considerably and within three weeks she was
on a dose of just four units a day.

Seven people have now undergone an Edmontonstyle
islet cell transplant in the UK and results
continue to be encouraging. Islets are the cells in
the pancreas which produce insulin and researchers
have been refining the transplant technique which
allows people with Type 1 diabetes to begin
producing their own insulin again.

pultneytooner
18-Mar-06, 16:34
there is also an implant coming out with slow release insulin, and pancreas transplants are also getting more common...fingers crossed this condition will be cureable in the next decade....
Lets hope so weefee as the condition seems to be more common nowadays.

footie chick
18-Mar-06, 17:03
will probably take longer than a decade as the drugs companys make a fortune out of test strips etc. the sooner the better

landmarker
18-Mar-06, 18:17

I hope so. I'm borderline and have been for a while.I watch what I eat and monitor my blood weekly.
I'm not obese either. To read the papers you would think only very chubby people get Diabetes - it's nonsense.

I agree with footie, drug companies are more interested in treatments than cures.

Saveman
18-Mar-06, 18:27
This would be good news. It is a very common disease nowadays. Not all diabetics have to take injection some can be treated with tablets, though it inevitably progresses to that point.

landmarker
18-Mar-06, 18:35
This would be good news. It is a very common disease nowadays. Not all diabetics have to take injection some can be treated with tablets, though it inevitably progresses to that point.

Not inevitably at all Saveman. Twenty five per cent of diabetics on tablets go on to need insulin injections.

Saveman
18-Mar-06, 18:56
Not inevitably at all Saveman. Twenty five per cent of diabetics on tablets go on to need insulin injections.

Really? Well I didn't know that. Learn something new..etc. etc.
I guess I only know people in that 25%

weefee
19-Mar-06, 16:08
if you look at the progress in diabetes research in the last 5 years it is amazing how much they have come on already, we are already at the stage where the first nhs inlet transplants are taking place, sure the trials go on for a long time but they have too, my daughter will be able to get an injection before starting school to prevent the infection that destroys the pancreases ability to manufacture insulin, that is a major milestone, making it less likely that she will go on to have diabetes. I am mainly talking about type 1 diabetes here. The implants are being used already too.

I am staying positive about the next 10 years and how much they will progress when you look at what has already achieved in recent years. Hopefully the next generation will have a significantly lower number of people suffering from type 1 however due to our societies greed type 2 will become the main type suffered.

weefee
19-Mar-06, 16:11
if you look at the progress in diabetes research in the last 5 years it is amazing how much they have come on already, we are already at the stage where the first nhs inlet transplants are taking place, sure the trials go on for a long time but they have too, my daughter will be able to get an injection before starting school to prevent the infection that destroys the pancreases ability to manufacture insulin, that is a major milestone, making it less likely that she will go on to have diabetes. I am mainly talking about type 1 diabetes here. The implants are being used already too.

I am staying positive about the next 10 years and how much they will progress when you look at what has already achieved in recent years. Hopefully the next generation will have a significantly lower number of people suffering from type 1 however due to our societies greed type 2 will become the main type suffered.

landmarker
19-Mar-06, 17:49
.....however due to our societies greed type 2 will become the main type suffered.

I sympathise with your daughter's condition and hope she benefits from medical advances.....BUT...what the hell are you talking about 'greed'. Are you suggesting everyone who develops this condition is a pie & cake scoffing fatso?

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 18:20
My little sister is 30yrs old and she was diagnosed just before xmas last year and she is like a rake,(was getting worse each day, size 8 clothes were 2 big) the doctor advised her to eat loads of cakes and drink loads of juice etc before she goes out, coz she lives in Aberdeen and is always rushing about with work and kids etc, then 1 day at her work she collapsed and was rushed to hospital nearly in a coma and that is how they diagnosed her

She is now on 4 insulin a day and slowly putting weight on

landmarker
19-Mar-06, 21:22
My little sister is 30yrs old and she was diagnosed just before xmas last year and she is like a rake,(was getting worse each day, size 8 clothes were 2 big) the doctor advised her to eat loads of cakes and drink loads of juice etc before she goes out, coz she lives in Aberdeen and is always rushing about with work and kids etc, then 1 day at her work she collapsed and was rushed to hospital nearly in a coma and that is how they diagnosed her

She is now on 4 insulin a day and slowly putting weight on

Is that 4 injections per day?
Presumably this is type 1 ?
I understand that when the body cannot utilise glucose to provide energy then it starts to consume it's own fat to provide energy.

I hope she is okay.

moose and Lindsay
20-Mar-06, 01:44
Hi yes it is 4 injections a day and she is type 1

She is coping pretty well

Thanx

weefee
20-Mar-06, 11:24
I sympathise with your daughter's condition and hope she benefits from medical advances.....BUT...what the hell are you talking about 'greed'. Are you suggesting everyone who develops this condition is a pie & cake scoffing fatso?

sorry my daughter doesn't have diabetes but my partner does, there is a genetic tendancy towards type 1 diabetes on his side of the family so she will be more prone towards diabetes which is why she will get the new injection when she is older.

My comment towards societies greed is that many people overdoese on sugary foods which the pancreas cannot process and can result in damage and the pancreas can no longer produce insulin..this process can take many years...

i often see people walking their kids to school letting them munch cakes and crisps if not for breakfast then immediately after breakfast, im not saying you have to be a big fatty, but type 2 is more associated with obesity. It is also more common for people in their 50's to contract type 2 and it is usually because of poor diet. Granted not all cases are , im not saying people do this on purpose and choose to be a diabetic, that would be ridiculous, but unfortunately it is the case that type 2 is more often than not caused by poor diet.

Sorry landmarker but you cannot ignore the fact that obesity is on the rise as is type 2 diabetes, the two go hand in hand and people don't seem to realise the long term implications for themselves and the future generation. Complications such as blindness, loss of limbs, increase likelyhood of heart attack and stroke, you take longer to heal if you cut yourself ...the list goes on....

weefee
20-Mar-06, 11:37
Hi yes it is 4 injections a day and she is type 1

She is coping pretty well

Thanx

glad to hear your sister is managing well, hopefully she will be put down to two injections a day after a wee while and that makes things a whole lot easier.....

i know there is a licensing problem with several types of insulin at the moment, and unfortunately these are the ones for twice a day injections....my partner has had his changed twice now in the last six months and he was told that this batch is loosing its licensing too so another change on the way.....:(

landmarker
20-Mar-06, 20:35
....you take longer to heal if you cut yourself ...the list goes on....

Yep, I've noticed. Age has the same effect.
I'm knocking on the door, poised at the threshold, of late middle age and diabetes, but I'm not fat!

Good luck.