PDA

View Full Version : Lightning

Mystical Potato Head
02-Jul-09, 20:27
Managed to hang out the window and get this one.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/Lightning.jpg

astroman
02-Jul-09, 20:41
Fabulous capture - how'd you manage to get the timing right?

I resorted to getting the video camera out as I reckoned that would give me the best chance, but even then I seemed to keep aiming in slightly the wrong direction:roll:

Congrats on the astrophoto competition win btw. Your pics are on display at Caithness Horizons at the moment - they look great.

Mystical Potato Head
02-Jul-09, 20:47
Pure luck Astroman.Had a fair idea the lightning was in roughly that area and just waited
till i saw a flash and just clicked away,some of the flashes lasted probably a few tenths of a second so i got them but the realy quick ones i missed.
If it was dark i would have got the tripod and taken 20 second exposures and that way i would have been able to get several strikes in the one shot because quite a few times there were several flashes in quick succession.
Thanks on the compitition win,i'm still reading "Cosmos" for the third time now.Fantastic book.

shazzap
02-Jul-09, 22:38
Very dramatic great shot.

sassylass
02-Jul-09, 22:47
Cracking photo ;)

Sporran
02-Jul-09, 23:11
Striking shot, MPH! :cool:

wifie
02-Jul-09, 23:18
Now that is what I call a moody sky! Well done MPH! :D

tjc
03-Jul-09, 00:51
Excellent capture MPH...

Quite a bit of fork lighting out my way today too...

And the rain!!!

:eek:

Connor.
03-Jul-09, 01:00
Great picture but nowhere near its worst!

Deemac
03-Jul-09, 01:12
Great capture. Most impressive lightning storm I've ever witnessed. Quite scarry I have to admit. Did think about trying to cature this but didn't like the idea of being too close to the window!!

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jul-09, 01:31
Great picture but nowhere near its worst!

Well i apologise for giving a false representation of the storm by posting a little fart of a lightning strike.:roll:

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jul-09, 01:34
Deemac,its definately the worst i've seen in this country,spectacular would be an understatement i think.
Anyone know why lightning sometimes is pink in photographs?,there are hundreds of them on flickr.

ShelleyCowie
03-Jul-09, 09:52
Brilliant photo MPH. Similar to the view i had from my house. :Razz

ShelleyCowie
03-Jul-09, 10:39
Deemac,its definately the worst i've seen in this country,spectacular would be an understatement i think.
Anyone know why lightning sometimes is pink in photographs?,there are hundreds of them on flickr.

This was all i could find. The part in blue, maybe the lighning is red, but it slightly changes colour when photographed??

Lightning takes on a range of colors, depending on conditions in the clouds and in the air.
Blue lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of hail.
Red lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of rain.
Yellow or orange lightning occurs when there is a large concentration of dust in the air.
White lightning is a sign of low humidity (amount of moisture in the air). White is the color of lightning that most often ignites forest fires.

Doreen
03-Jul-09, 14:11
That is a brilliant picture! What a shot! That looks like my house in the backround, is that heathfield road?

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jul-09, 19:37
Thanks for the comments and thanks for the info Shelley.
Doreen,its Sigurd Road.

Here's another i was lucky enough to catch.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/Lightning1.jpg

North Light
04-Jul-09, 09:21
mph,

Well caught, I was on Dunnet Beach as it started to rain, drove back to Thurso in the worst of it, then tried a few shots of Thurso Bay, not one bolt of lightning caught!

tjc
06-Jul-09, 12:38
Another excellent capture MPH...

Myself and some friends saw the red lightening on our way home one night many years ago...

:eek:

Really red it was too but a bit off in the distance and unfortunately I had no camera with me anyway...

Interesting info ShelleyBain.

thickrodney
16-Aug-09, 17:14
my effort

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/nickydoc/1508034.jpg