PDA

View Full Version : The Queen Wants Mair O' Oor Money

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Jun-09, 00:30
Get yer hauns in yer poakets, then, peasants...

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/Royal-bill-goes-up-15m.5412164.jp

wifie
30-Jun-09, 00:35
Get yer hauns in yer poakets, then, peasants...

Tell her put more water in 'e soup! Dis she no ken there is a recession on? :roll:

Metalattakk
30-Jun-09, 00:39
The Queen and the Royal Family now cost the taxpayer 69p for every man, woman and child in the country – a 3p increase compared to 2007-8.

ROFL. A 3p increase over a year? O NOES!! How will we ever manage to scrape that together?

changilass
30-Jun-09, 00:51
Is that 69p a year, a day, a week or what?

If its a year then she can have it lol.

Metalattakk
30-Jun-09, 01:32
69p per man, woman and child, per year.

In the grand scale of non-stories, this one must rank in the top 47. IMHO.

theone
30-Jun-09, 01:36
Let her have it.

Insignificant compared to what we pay for other spongers.

nightowl
30-Jun-09, 10:07
Ah but, if you discount all the children, pensioners, unemployed, sick and illegal, how much then, will we poor taxpayers have to pay. Probably a fiver or more. Not so cheap now, eh![lol] Yes, Mam, just put more water in e soup. Very good Wifie.

Dog-eared
30-Jun-09, 11:15
The Queen can pay her own way.
That 69p per person per year would be better off spent on something that actually needs the money.
Britain is still living in the Victorian age.

Rheghead
30-Jun-09, 12:53
A drop in the ocean compared to what the Euro elite demand per day. [disgust]

Serenity
30-Jun-09, 13:14
I don't care how much or "little" it costs us a year it is the principal of the thing. I am biased as I personally do not think we should still have a monarchy but well I accept we do. It is also the AMOUNT of money they (especially Charles/Camilla apparently) spend. I mean I understand they travel on state business and need staff and security etc but I am sure it doesn't need to cost that much.
And yes maybe it is a drop in the ocean compared to what European Parliament ask for but as has been said before they were elected in (no matter if you agree or disagree with the European Parliament.. that isn't for this thread). Also there are a lot more MEPs than high ranking members of the royal family plus they use a lot of that money they ask us for on policies etc.

Rheghead
30-Jun-09, 13:22
I don't care how much or "little" it costs us a year it is the principal of the thing.

With your hand on heart, can you honestly say that countries that don't have a monarchy are much nicer for not having them? :confused

Each
30-Jun-09, 13:42
Why should anyone be showered with money and power just by some accident of birth.

Or do you still believe in the devine rights of monarchy ?

Rheghead
30-Jun-09, 13:45
Why should anyone be showered with money and power just by some accident of birth.

Are you saying that the children of rich people can't enjoy their parent's wealth?:confused

dogman
30-Jun-09, 13:59

Or do you still believe in the devine rights of monarchy ?

Should everyone refuse inheritance, or just the Royal Family?

Each
30-Jun-09, 14:42
Should everyone refuse inheritance, or just the Royal Family?

Thats a big question. I thinks there are shades of grey within it - not to mention scale !

I have never received any inheritance myself (other than perhaps £500 once). Everything our family has received has been through our own sweat and talant.

My own view is that everyone should be allowed to start with an equal opportunity in life.

I have no difficulty if some, like the Andy Murrays of this world go on to get huge rewards - they have earned them through their own skill and hard work.

Unfortunately the government has systematically dismantled/ruined our social infrastructure - I am more worried about how I will survive in old age - before I even begin to think about what will be left to give to my kids.

I think there is less equality of opportunity today, for kids to go to university or advance in their careers - because cost/debts are a major barrier. Therefore those who can afford to go to university are going to be those who come from a background of inherited wealth and privilege.

As a result power and influence is conferred to individuals not because of talant or ability but by birth right - hardly a rational basis for managing the affairs of state.

So instead of working and paying taxes towards a social infrastructure where anyone can share in the benefits - I appear to working for the benefit of a priviliged elite. Who have no incentive to contribute towards a better society.

If the social infrastructure was in place and operating properly - there would be no need for inheritance.

So - Yes - I would have to conclude that inherited wealth is - on balance - not a good thing.

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Jun-09, 15:39
http://www.republic.org.uk/tv/?p=11

The monarchy is almost a sinecure now, it is out of place in a democratic society. Don’t have a problem with others supporting the concept, only their hypocrisy. If they believe in all this hereditary/blue blood/ nonsense then they should be consistent. If the blood line is so sacred they ought not have abandoned it and gone shopping in boutique protestant principalities to get a new one.

However, on a personal basis the Queen is an excellent Head of State. She is educated and intelligent – and so she should be, we paid enough to tutor her. You can’t fault her dedication to duty. Her offspring are another story. The monarchy should die with her and in the interim when she negotiates her pay rise the Civil List should be restricted to herself and her heir, leaving the hangers on to do what the rest of us do: get a job and help pay for them.

Kenn
30-Jun-09, 16:45
I am not in favour of any increase in The Civil List. I admit The Queen does an excellent job although some of her offspring leave much to be desired and I would like to see some justification for their expenses.
What does concern me is that if we were to become a republic then the bill just for electing a president would be greater that the current Civil List Expenditure and a president would still have the same, if not more costs for staff,entertaining,travel and all the other expenses that go with high office.
It would also mean yet more elections with all the useless drivel that we have come to expect from our politicians.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
30-Jun-09, 16:55
I like paying for auld Lizzy and her crew,they give me a giggle.I mean her goodsel and Philip are a rare couple.She does know how to cut her costs,some of the rooms in Buckie Palace havnae been done since her Coronation.I've a few rolls of wallpaper in the hoose that she can have for nothin.I will even go down and hang it up for her.All I ask in payment is a wee glass of to copy it is forgery and some cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off.:lol::lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Jul-09, 09:58
Some people say Lizzie does a lot for tourism. :)