PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in the Spirit World?

crayola
28-Jun-09, 02:13
Do you believe in the Spirit World?

For the sake of argument this would be a world separate from or parallel to our own world and which is inhabited by spirits of former humans, or by spirits that were never human but exist in dimensions separate from ours.

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 02:15
Oh for crying out loud.

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 02:27
You don't have to read it if you don't agree metalattakk;)

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 02:43
I'm allowed to read things I don't agree with, for goodness' sake.

wifie
28-Jun-09, 02:58
For the sake of argument

~ ~ ~ :roll: ~ ~ ~

butterfly
28-Jun-09, 03:54
<< sigh >>

teddybear1873
28-Jun-09, 04:10
Seems Metalattakk got his period again.

lister
28-Jun-09, 04:59
I voted to believe in spirits cos i've jus woken up aff the couch and believe me the spirits where here and real, i saw things an talked till all sorts o things(phones,telly,the floor,the toilet and the last was ma shoes cos they widna release there grip on ma feet) i think ,maybe ?

Twas a good spiritual night on all accounts,,,,,,chav.;)

Oddquine
28-Jun-09, 05:37
Ach, Crayola.............you want to start a poll on what the criteria for your next poll will be.......because you have nothing there that covers me......again.

I neither tend towards yes or no..........I'm a spiritual agnostic with a sister and cousin who are believers. Neither of them tend to gullibility or irrationality, so I'm not prepared to dismiss the idea out of hand, although I haven't found any medium to date who has convinced me.

Rheghead
28-Jun-09, 09:14
I don't believe in the spirit world but I believe that believing in the spirit world for those that want to believe can have benefits for mental and physical health. Some people just have that hard-wired need to have that sort of thing as part of their lives. Those others, like myself, find it stupid and are mentally free to think so without the chains of Faith to live such an equal fullfilling life.

grumpy1
28-Jun-09, 09:56
I believe in spirits...and not just the liquid variety..:lol:

i like to think there is more for us when we leave this life..
i know i have seen things that cant be explained and that just strengthens my belief...

but i also believe in each to there own opinion....

mrjolly
28-Jun-09, 10:44
Do you believe in the Spirit World?

For the sake of argument this would be a world separate from or parallel to our own world and which is inhabited by spirits of former humans, or by spirits that were never human but exist in dimensions separate from ours.
i believe in the holy spirit only

crayola
28-Jun-09, 12:11
Ach, Crayola.............you want to start a poll on what the criteria for your next poll will be.......because you have nothing there that covers me......again.

I neither tend towards yes or no..........I'm a spiritual agnostic with a sister and cousin who are believers. Neither of them tend to gullibility or irrationality, so I'm not prepared to dismiss the idea out of hand, although I haven't found any medium to date who has convinced me.
I'm sorry about that omission OQ but I wanted to avoid the 'don't know' and 'don't care' options for various reasons. I'll try to include an agnostic or constructive 'don't know' option in the next one.

I'm not permitted to edit the poll now for obvious reasons.

octane
28-Jun-09, 13:00
just vodka

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 13:44
I voted to believe in spirits cos i've jus woken up aff the couch and believe me the spirits where here and real, i saw things an talked till all sorts o things(phones,telly,the floor,the toilet and the last was ma shoes cos they widna release there grip on ma feet) i think ,maybe ?

Twas a good spiritual night on all accounts,,,,,,chav.

[lol][lol]
Sounds like you had a good night lister.;)

David Banks
28-Jun-09, 14:46
. . . put me in the 'Definitely Not' category.
I'm guessing that the two sets of "don't knows" are in the agnostic category.

lister
28-Jun-09, 15:33
Sounds like you had a good night lister.;)
Twas a good night right enough Vistravi i thouroughly enjoyed it...........................................again i think???:Razz

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 15:58
Twas a good night right enough Vistravi i thouroughly enjoyed it...........................................again i think???:Razz

I've actually forgot how it feels to be like that....soon i shall remember lol. Soon be my 21st:)

Nvidi4
28-Jun-09, 19:22
I voted yes definitely.........and I don't believe that it's separate from our world and if it is it shouldn't be! :~( It's all one world with no other strange dimensions, they made all that stuff up to scare us and keep us away from the truth......didn't they! :eek:

vaughan
28-Jun-09, 20:36
No. I don't believe we are any more special than the next animal inhabiting the world. People don't seem to think there is platypus/dog/beetle/3 toed tree sloth afterlife so why would there be for us ? I think they are ideas born of a fear of death.

Gizmo
28-Jun-09, 23:21
No....you die...worms eat you...the end.

The whole concept of 'The Afterlife' is just ridiculous, invented to soften the blow of death by people who are afraid of it.

bingo1
28-Jun-09, 23:43
No....you die...worms eat you...the end.

The whole concept of 'The Afterlife' is just ridiculous, invented to soften the blow of death by people who are afraid of it.
Well that is just a bit graphic eh!! Thats a nice picture in the heads of someone who just lost sum1 2 death.:(

Metalattakk
29-Jun-09, 00:30
Well that is just a bit graphic eh!! Thats a nice picture in the heads of someone who just lost sum1 2 death.:(

Fair's fair bingo1, I'm sure Gizmo wouldn't have said that if he knew that you'd recently lost sum1 2 death.

katarina
29-Jun-09, 09:02
As a very young child I was aware that the ME that was 'I' was inside me and had nothing to do with my physical body. I used to wonder if my parents had not married eachother whether I would be ME in a different body with my father with a different mother or my mother with a different father or if ME would never have existed at all. But I some how just knew that ME was and would be somewhere. No one ever told me about spirits at that time. I couldn't explain it then, and can't now, but I hope some one out there knows exactly what I mean.
Maybe all children have that awareness but just forget it later.
And as for dear MA - where would we be without his ilk?

Mrs Bucket
29-Jun-09, 09:06
Its all in the mind. Thats not to say there is nothing there. You have to be open to receive.

scorrie
29-Jun-09, 16:35
The poll might have been more interesting if there were an indication of gender alongside the option chosen. My own feeling ,without data, is that it is more of a woman's concept.

honey
29-Jun-09, 16:48
yes, i do..

scorrie
29-Jun-09, 17:05
Its all in the mind. Thats not to say there is nothing there. You have to be open to receive.

Equally, you need to be "Open" to the possibility that there is nothing. I recently posted a link offering scientific explanations for some of the experiences people go through in near-death situations. As usual there was no response from those who "simply know" there is an afterlife.

I can accept that some perhaps do not understand the science behind theories but there is more of a "closed mind" at work from the side who always seem to declare the non-believers as the ones unwilling to open THEIR minds.

Rheghead
29-Jun-09, 17:38
That empty crisp packet were Connie yer know, that were Connie! :lol:

teenybash
29-Jun-09, 18:20
[quote=scorrie;567441]Equally, you need to be "Open" to the possibility that there is nothing. I recently posted a link offering scientific explanations for some of the experiences people go through in near-death situations. As usual there was no response from those who "simply know" there is an afterlife.
quote]

I read the links you posted and found them to be unable to show proof against the experiences of those who have had a NDE.
The first writer clearly stated it was 'too complex..............'
and the rest of the theory based on REM I could not relate to.

I personally believe there is such a thing as Spirit world and the signs are there for all of us to see or feel.
How many times have peoples experienced deja vu [spelling?] and found themselves, perhaps knowing a place they have never been before, to the point of knowing exactly where a shop, a house etc is...........
Or what of children in particular who,until around 6 years old, can speak of their other family or where they used to live when they had a different mummy and daddy. Many cases of this can be found documented.
How do you explain those who have been regressed to a former life and that life checks out in every detail and can you enlighten me why Christianity is so against Spirit world but, asks us to believe in that very thing.......?

porshiepoo
29-Jun-09, 18:33
Most definately believe.

katarina
29-Jun-09, 19:22
The poll might have been more interesting if there were an indication of gender alongside the option chosen. My own feeling ,without data, is that it is more of a woman's concept.

that is because women are more sensitive, more understanding, in fact, dare i say, more of everything?

brandy
29-Jun-09, 19:34
big yes for me...
have seen ghosties my whole life, so no doubt.
have met nice spirits, nasty ones.. only a few times but not nice at all!)
and family members just dropping in to lend a little comfort and to say hello..

Metalattakk
29-Jun-09, 21:54
that is because women are more sensitive, more understanding, in fact, dare i say, more of everything?

Even gullible and stupid? :eek:

joxville
29-Jun-09, 22:22
Annoying? :cool:

teenybash
29-Jun-09, 22:26

Gullible = always ready to listen.
Stupid = for wasting her time.;)

crayola
29-Jun-09, 23:53
The likely gender imbalance in the spectrum of opinions was kindly brought to my attention by one of our more diffident and unassuming members just minutes after I posted the poll. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his careful pedagogical exposition of where I went wrong. That special sum1 knows who he is but I won't be my usual incorrigible self and embarrass him in public. ;)

I'll do a better poll when I get back from my hols instead.

wifie
30-Jun-09, 00:32
I'll do a better poll when I get back from my hols instead.

That'll make a change [lol]

wifie
30-Jun-09, 00:33

Ye can be sunshine! [lol]

joxville
30-Jun-09, 06:19
Ye can be sunshine! [lol]

Re-read it ya daft mare...it wis a reference tae you wimmin. :roll:

(But yer right, I can be annoying. [lol])

wifie
30-Jun-09, 09:34
Re-read it ya daft mare...it wis a reference tae you wimmin. :roll:
(But yer right, I can be annoying. [lol])

I know it was - I was just bein annoyin!!! [lol]

katarina
30-Jun-09, 12:37

LOL. had to laugh at that one! Definately your words! Trust me dear, I am neither gullible or stupid!

katarina
30-Jun-09, 12:38

could be - but only in the nicest possible way!

katarina
30-Jun-09, 12:45
have you ever been studied by a new born baby? Their eyes never have the innocence of a blank canvas. They are wise, curious and all knowing, like they have just come from somewhere else and are thinking 'oh, so this is where i am now'. This disapears after a few days to be replaced by the aformentioned innocence. And I've seen lots of new borns.
It's all in the eyes, the mirror of the soul. Wonder what yours say, MA?

Metalattakk
30-Jun-09, 13:04
have you ever been studied by a new born baby? Their eyes never have the innocence of a blank canvas. They are wise, curious and all knowing, like they have just come from somewhere else and are thinking 'oh, so this is where i am now'. This disapears after a few days to be replaced by the aformentioned innocence. And I've seen lots of new borns.

Mine will tell you that you're aff yer heid.

scorrie
30-Jun-09, 14:00

They HAVE just come from somewhere else, from inside a womb. I should imagine I was a little surprised myself encountering the world outside, including such wonders as daylight and being able to see and hear, even smell, touch and taste, for the first time. Sadly I don't remember much about it, what with the brain not being fully developed and all that. Perhaps if it had been, I might have said "Jings, crivvens, help ma boab mither am no back here again am a'?"

New born children are not wise, they are completely helpless. I am puzzled as to how they can be "curious and all knowing" at the same time? An all knowing person has little to be curious about.

Vistravi
30-Jun-09, 18:18

New born babes aren't wise!!! Some people aren't wise even in their late 30s!!!

New born babes like all children want to know about the world around them and are very curious about everything. Properly are thinking 'oh, so this is where i am now' as you said as they've just come from one place to another strange place. All knowing and wise they can't be.

lister
30-Jun-09, 18:40
:confused
Just utter rubbish...honestly,they're babies,they're eyes are learning as is their brains.
If their so knowing and wise why don't we talk at birth..absolute ?

catran
30-Jun-09, 22:07
Yes they do come from somewhere else and some have a difficult journey squeezing out into the big bad world.Believe it or not exposure to light changes the colour of their eyes in the first few moments after birth and they do recognise their mother's face from birth and their acuity improves rapidly so do not understand this blank canvas and "It's all in the eyes, the mirror of the soul" business. Babies are helpless and have to be loved and nurtured along with the learning process over the years.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
30-Jun-09, 22:30
A good friend once told me,that in the corner of his bedroom he saw a young boy praying.I thought he was seeing things.
One night he had a party in his house,we were all laughing away,listening to music.I got up to go to the loo for a slash,was walking by his room when I heard a young child giggle.

Four years later in the Royal Mile in Edinburgh,passed by a lady dressed in old fashioned clothing.

About six years later in Wick,passed by a guy on the bridge on Bridge Street in Wick,turned to find he had gone.

Still to this day,I can't explain any of them.

katarina
01-Jul-09, 10:01
Mine will tell you that you're aff yer heid.

It's OK MA. I know you love me really!

Metalattakk
01-Jul-09, 10:06
I refer the honourable lady to the answer I gave some moments ago.

golach
01-Jul-09, 10:06
Only Spirits I believe in come from a bottle, have seen a few scarey sights after a session [lol]

katarina
01-Jul-09, 10:24
I refer the honourable lady to the answer I gave some moments ago.

Ah, You protest too much. don't fight it!

Metalattakk
01-Jul-09, 10:34
Ah, You protest too much. don't fight it!

So your argument has dissolved to a level a child would be embarrassed for?

Excellent. :cool:

katarina
02-Jul-09, 08:04
So your argument has dissolved to a level a child would be embarrassed for?

Excellent. :cool:

hmmm. a child would be embarrassed FOR? should that not read 'a child would be embarrassed by'? But then with your superior intellect, I'm sure you are right, and my meager verbosity is well below par. Please explain and enlighten this poor uneducated individual.

Actually I don't think a child would be embarrassed at all.
their minds are open - they have no pre-conceived ideas - and hide your blushes, my dear, I can read between the lines!

Metalattakk
02-Jul-09, 10:29
hmmm. a child would be embarrassed FOR? should that not read 'a child would be embarrassed by'? But then with your superior intellect, I'm sure you are right, and my meager verbosity is well below par. Please explain and enlighten this poor uneducated individual.

It can be either. In this case I was referring to the child's embarrassment for the argument you make rather than the meagre intellectual level to which it has further fallen into rambling incoherence.

- and hide your blushes, my dear, I can read between the lines!

That's a fairly pathetic response. If that's the best you can do, give up, for crying out loud.

katarina
07-Jul-09, 22:25
I've been away for the weekend. hope you didn't miss me too much.
I will now tell you of something my mother said. (a very wise woman) When some one resorts to personal insults - it is a sure sign he/she is loosing the arguement! I rest my case.

catran
07-Jul-09, 22:32
How do you spell argument??????

catran
07-Jul-09, 22:34
Were you off on a yeaught???

shazzap
07-Jul-09, 22:41
I have seen what i believe to be a ghost or spirit or whatever you want to call it. I did not know this person. I was in a house drifting off to sleep when i looked into the mirror on a dressing table. Looking back at me was a young mans face with staring eyes and no expression. I hid under the covers because to be honest i was frightened to death, i peeked out from beneath the covers and the face was still there. i quickly went back under the covers and stayed there all night. I have lost a son and my mother and the only explanation i can give to myself why they have not visited me, is that they know i would be frightened and would not want to do that. I am not religious or a person who is gullible or needy i just know what i saw.

Metalattakk
07-Jul-09, 23:26
I've been away for the weekend. hope you didn't miss me too much.
I will now tell you of something my mother said. (a very wise woman) When some one resorts to personal insults - it is a sure sign he/she is loosing the arguement! I rest my case.

Personal insults? Show me where I have personally insulted anyone.

And for the umpteenth time, can you address the points made by scorrie, Vistravi, lister and catran, all in response to your frankly ridiculous post quoted here:

It's all in the eyes, the mirror of the soul.I've noticed that you've completely ignored their points in favour of embarking on this embarrassing crusade to attempt to apportion some crazy form of endearment on my behalf - something which is beyond comprehension (perhaps much like the rest of your argument, I suppose. Why I am surprised, some may say).

And now you claim the moral high ground with your preposterous idea that you've been personally maligned?

Jebus wept. :eek:

sweetpea
07-Jul-09, 23:35
I voted yes because all gods creatures are equal and nobody is better than anyone else. MJ is dead but individualism ain't. Me and my Nana speak to each other all the time, she's my guiding light. Is someone going to tell me I'm mad now? or She DOESN'T exist?:roll:

weeboyagee
08-Jul-09, 13:58

Did you get that?

I tend not to believe that I believe in that which my family try to convince me that it isn't really what it is, furthermore, I believe that the family believe that they don't know if they know there is such a thing. Bit like oddquine, I won't dismiss the idea out of hand, although I haven't read a palm, looked into a crystal ball, spoken with a spey-wife, or had the letters fly onto the table in the recent few weeks.

And did you get that?

WBG :cool:

katarina
08-Jul-09, 14:27
MA, please pull your toys back into the pram before you burst a blood vessel. I wouldn't want to be responsible for sending you to the spirit world before your time. And, Crazy form of endearment? dear me, if you do not have the brains to recognise sarcasm then woe betide you. I could never imagine you being endeared to anyone who could stand up to you let alone dare to have a difference of opinion! therefore, I shall stop rattling your cage - for now! ;)

George Brims
08-Jul-09, 20:22
"Spirit World" sounds like a great name for a whisky shop. Might attract the wrong customers mind you, plus over here some of the "New Age" type places get picketed by Bible-thumpers. Not sure finding out you were selling drink instead of non-Christian books would be any better in their view.

Metalattakk
08-Jul-09, 21:38
dear me, if you do not have the brains to recognise sarcasm then woe betide you.

You call it sarcasm, I call it an inability to justify your faltering opinions. ;)

BigKev
09-Jul-09, 12:32
Spirit world eh?

I find theres more than enough in this world to ponder about. Like. . .

What does "James Brown is Annie" really mean?

BigKev
14-Jul-09, 12:54
Come on guys, BUMP!!

I was really enjoying this post!!

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-09, 13:00
Spirit world eh?

I find theres more than enough in this world to ponder about. Like. . .

You need telling twice? Get the sawdust oot yer napper.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-09, 13:02
Anyone curious about mediums by the way, should watch a certain segment in the new Bruno film.

Olin
14-Jul-09, 13:17
This thread is a heap of nonsense...

I mean Let's say there is another spirit world or whatever wee background to your fairytale your on about, what exactly do the souls and spirits look like?

How do you get there?

Do animals and other creatures survive there?

How was this place discovered? I.e. it may not be 100% officially discovered but some numpty has obviously gone and dreamt up they seena ghost or some nonsense. Which story started this off?

There has been research into people seeing ghosts and near death experiences and they all have explanations wether it be that a person simply wants to believe they seem something or another explanation

redeyedtreefrog
14-Jul-09, 14:21
Oh for crying out loud.

Exactly what I thought.

american gal
14-Jul-09, 14:31
When my mum died i i went to stay in her house with my siblins as i live away from where she lived and i was easier us all being home for arrangements etc... anyway my sister and i shared mums double bed in the room she died on the second night after her death i was unable to sleep and was sososo restless i woke myself us shouting nooo and i was obviously distressed so i got up leaving my sister sleeping and headed off down stairs quilt in hand for the couch i got a drink calmed down and climbed onto the couch. half asleep but still awake i heard footsteps heading to mums chair and someone breathing thinking it was my brother i carried on sleeping but turning around to tell him be quiet i was quite suprised to find no one there. my imagination??? the stress at nthat time?? who knows i dont all i know is this did happen to me i think my mum was there like things were still normal.????????:~(

scorrie
14-Jul-09, 15:38

That the F key on the keyboard wasn't working that day!! ;)

porshiepoo
14-Jul-09, 18:11
This thread is a heap of nonsense...

I mean Let's say there is another spirit world or whatever wee background to your fairytale your on about, what exactly do the souls and spirits look like?

How do you get there?

Do animals and other creatures survive there?

How was this place discovered? I.e. it may not be 100% officially discovered but some numpty has obviously gone and dreamt up they seena ghost or some nonsense. Which story started this off?

There has been research into people seeing ghosts and near death experiences and they all have explanations wether it be that a person simply wants to believe they seem something or another explanation

OK, here's my opinion.
Souls are spirits/energies. We recognise that energy when we pass over. This body we have here, is merely a vessel to live this life in - we'll be glad to shed the weight of it when we do pass over. If you've ever seen a dead body of a loved one you'll see what I mean by empty shell. You recognise the body of the loved one but you know that their spirit is no longer there. If we had no spirit that leaves our body when we die then surely our bodies would look the same immediately after death? Anyone who has seen a dead body will know what I mean.
The Spirit world is simply a dimension on a faster frequency - time is many many times faster. I always try to explain it like the blades of a fan - when they're going at full blast you cannot see them as they're too fast, but you 'know' they're there.

I have always always believed in a life after death, however that term is deceiving as people interpret 'life' to mean the type of life we live now in body form - not so.
I believe the whole purpose of this life is to learn, to experience and grow spiritually (nothing to do with religion). I believe that our spirit form chose the major events of this life and did this in conjunction with those who would also be affected by them. I think people dislike this theory because it assumes that we choose to die of awful diseases, murders etc etc often at ridiculously young ages.
Deja vu - we've all experienced it. That is recognition that our life is on the correct path. We feel as though we've been here before because we have - when we were planning this lifes events. Deja vu just confirms life is on the right track.
To an extent I believe we have the chance to mould our life here by the paths we take and the choices we make but there are many facets of our life which are predetermined, such as death and when we die, although not necessarily how we die.

I also believe that one of the first things we do in the spirit world is sit in judgement on ourselves and our actions in this life - some would say this is Hell.
I say Hell because to the pure form of Spirit, murder, hatred, contempt and negative reactions would be as close to Hell as possible.
We judge ourselves in this way to understand ourselves fully and to see what we want or need to learn and experience in the next life.
When we choose this next life this is when we include murders, Pain, illness and disabilities etc. What you have to remember is that the spirit form is not fearful of these scenarios as they know that the physical life is simply a quick day at school. Spirit wants to experience and understand all facets of life in order to become a higher being.

As for ghosts. My belief is that there are many people who do not or cannot cross over when they die. There are many reasons for this. It could be that the trauma of dying prevented it, they aren't ready to leave a loved one behind or they're too afraid to pass over perhaps due to the heinous life they lived here.
Ghosts are spirits that simply have not crossed over.

I also know of someone who had a near death experience. She says that she knew she died and she was filled with a bright light that she was drawn to. She says that every answer to every question was in that light and that she was ready to go. As she went to it she says her fathers form appeared and he guided her back saying that it wasn't her time yet.
My husband also 'died' at a young age. He was hit by a car when he was about 6 (luckily outside a police station and it was witnessed) and he flatlined 3 times. Strangely, despite being thrown approx 20ft in the air and hitting the car he had no physical injuries. His mother would tell me though that after this incident he spoke to spirit all the time and I could make your hair curl with the stories she told me before she died.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Believe in life after death or not, we're all headed to the same place eventually. :)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Jul-09, 19:41
I think I've seen 3 in 38 years,I cannae explain either of them.Ma three wee moments of life that I can turn around and question.I like to question,cos if ye can't,ye hivnae lived.:D

piratelassie
15-Jul-09, 01:21
Its a depressing thought to think there is nothing after death,so to think that our loved ones are waiting for us in the spirit world is comforting....so I guess Im afraid not to believe..:confused:

piratelassie
15-Jul-09, 01:39
Oh Catran I was enjoying the banter, pity you didn't add something constructive ..after all its not a spelling thread......:roll:

Fran
21-Jul-09, 01:45
When my mum died i i went to stay in her house with my siblins as i live away from where she lived and i was easier us all being home for arrangements etc... anyway my sister and i shared mums double bed in the room she died on the second night after her death i was unable to sleep and was sososo restless i woke myself us shouting nooo and i was obviously distressed so i got up leaving my sister sleeping and headed off down stairs quilt in hand for the couch i got a drink calmed down and climbed onto the couch. half asleep but still awake i heard footsteps heading to mums chair and someone breathing thinking it was my brother i carried on sleeping but turning around to tell him be quiet i was quite suprised to find no one there. my imagination??? the stress at nthat time?? who knows i dont all i know is this did happen to me i think my mum was there like things were still normal.????????:~(

I have been told we dont "go" till after our funeral, so i think your mum was there with you to comfort you. I felt this when someone i loved died at home and their body was still here, but I felt them beside me, it was very comforting. i know some days later the dog saw something in that room as he was sitting up wagging his tail as if looking at someone, and I think he saw them , he knew they were there.