PDA

View Full Version : House numbers/names

bekisman
25-Jun-09, 15:47
House numbers/names

Can anyone tell me why so many people in rural areas do not have their house name or number fully visible? We've just a few minutes ago, had an ambulance call at our house asking if we knew where 'so and so' lives..
On Strathy Point there are at least ten houses totally without a designation such as name or number.. a few years ago a person suffered a heart attack and the responding ambulance lost precious time trying to find the correct location.
Is it idleness? are they trying to stay incognito.
It's always been a bugbear, as a fire-officer of years ago - trying to track down a house where the owners had not bothered to put a name or number outside, we can't tell if a fire is not visible.. I heard of another stupid action by a Council in Worcestershire also caused hassle; "Nine Days Lane" - what a stupid name "help my house is on fire" - yes, ok give us the address: " 20, Nine Days Lane", was that 29 days lane? grrrrr

Can you honestly say that if you needed an emergency service to call, they would have no problem in finding you? Or for that matter the poor delivery blokes who find 'out west' a nightmare..

Connor.
25-Jun-09, 15:52
That's a good point. It would be really hard to locate somewhere although with GPS about it should be easier. Although if we did make it easier, the countryside would be littered with signs saying "such and such" 3 miles ahead etc.

Do firefighters and the likes not have GPS? I would of thought they did?

Wick66
25-Jun-09, 16:07
That's a good point. It would be really hard to locate somewhere although with GPS about it should be easier. Although if we did make it easier, the countryside would be littered with signs saying "such and such" 3 miles ahead etc.

Do firefighters and the likes not have GPS? I would of thought they did?

GPS or satnav is not always an accurate system, espscially if the location has recently been built. It can take several years for the systems to be updated to include everything.
But yes this is realy annoying. The amount of people that give their houses a name then don't errect a name plate is unbelievable. It should be compulsary for all houses to have names/numbers displayed in a prominent position.

Stefan
25-Jun-09, 16:08
GPS doesn't help much if it doesn't point to the right location, which it often doesn't in Caithness.
Even if it does, you still need to know which door to knock on, no good if there are 3 houses... by the time they get to the third the person with a heart attack could be dead.

bekisman
25-Jun-09, 16:36
Connor; 'Do fire-fighters and the likes not have GPS? I would of thought they did?' They do now, but not in my day.

It's a good idea to gave a six figure grid-reference and I do know a few people who have this by their phone - which helps.

Mik.M.
25-Jun-09, 19:56
Even worse is when they do have a sign but you can only read it from 2ft away.Down south people used to get car number plates made up as thier nameplate,they can be seen clearly day or night.Simples.

wndyndy
25-Jun-09, 20:11
Even worse is when they do have a sign but you can only read it from 2ft away.Down south people used to get car number plates made up as thier nameplate,they can be seen clearly day or night.Simples.
or people should paint their house names or numbers on their walls, use different paint every house, it would be a beautiful scene, and much easier for every one who is looking for any particular address.

oldmarine
25-Jun-09, 20:14
Sounds like a serious problem to me. Hope you folks can get this problem straightened out. Good luck.

cuthill
25-Jun-09, 20:40
We had our house name on a a piece of caithness slate at the bottom of our road against the fence for 4 years and the council came last week and told us to remove it within a week or they would and charge us.They said it was a hazzard to drivers.

Mik.M.
25-Jun-09, 20:43
Blooming council! So what about the big stone at Melvich? Surely thats a more dangerous hazzard?

cuthill
25-Jun-09, 20:52
My husband said it must be because its the A99 but we were coming down the road from Thurso to Wick and there was lots of stone house signs and someone had built a little wall with there name on it about 6 inches from the road.

suzyq
25-Jun-09, 22:14
It's a good idea to gave a six figure grid-reference and I do know a few people who have this by their phone - which helps.

This was something the emergency services promoted heavily in East Anglia some years ago. But these days with cordless and/or mobile phones strikes me it would be better to write the grid reference on the actual phone with permanent marker pen.

pat
26-Jun-09, 14:43
Where I live it is absolutely crazy - numbers not in sequence etc or even in same road.
Friend lives at no 11, next door is 45, the house past him is 23 - like that thoughout many villages as the numbers go by the original crofts - and to confuse it even more one side of the road is one village and the other side of the road is another village with another name and numbering!!!

So 45, 11 and 23 on one side would be Wick St
other side of the road is 53, 10 and 34 Thurso Road

How can anyone make sense of that!!

Luckily most of the emergency services and locals all know folk by their nickname or family name - pity help the nonlocals or visitors.

Hibeechick
26-Jun-09, 16:08
He he have quite often had to round the block a few times when trying to deliver orders. You find number 10..think next door will be the right address but its 2 miles in the opposite direction. Fun and games sometimes lol.

cuddlepop
26-Jun-09, 19:57
Skye much the same as quiet often you get house called half of 5 and its guesswork in the first place where 5 is in relation to the row of houses going up a glen.:roll:

Feel sorry for my Oh as he's got to deliver to these elusive address.

Seen him have to ask the postman where such & such is.:lol:

davlaurjen
26-Jun-09, 20:22
It sounds like some people just don't want to be found.:confused

Stefan
26-Jun-09, 21:07
It sounds like some people just don't want to be found.:confused

Lets just hope they never have a heart attack, stroke or fire outbreak. Or even break a leg, trying to phone the ambulance from the kitchen floor....

router
26-Jun-09, 21:11
Lets just hope they never have a heart attack, stroke or fire outbreak. Or even break a leg, trying to phone the ambulance from the kitchen floor....

you should try finding a house no in thurso on the estates there. The only way possible to find anything is by Google maps.

Moonboots
27-Jun-09, 09:37
Its True!!!

I was delivering Yellow Pages and what a problem trying to find house numbers around Thurso. The worse ones are the back streets from Princess Street. Some of the doors are on the opposite sides to the streets and you wont see the number of the house until you go round the back to the door!!!!

Also delivered 2 books to the same address cause there was no numbers on the doors... lol