PDA

View Full Version : should the harbour fest advertise free onstreet parking?

brandy
23-Jun-09, 20:00
ok read the below...
There will be limited car parking on the North Pier, clearly signposted, and when this is full, we ask drivers to use the on-street parking throughout Pulteneytown, and walk to the harbour area. If there is still a demand for parking, we will open a temporary car park in the Bignold Park, which will then be clearly signposted and staffed.

There will be signposted disabled parking facilities for Friday evening and Saturday all day in the car parks of the Wick Medical Centre and the adjacent Wick Swimming Pool car park. A disabled shuttle bus will operate a return service to the harbour from the car park for the duration of HarbourFest.

All car parking is free.
is this showing the cheek?
telling people yes park in front of peoples houses cause its ok and free.. and using an extra carpark as a last resort..
or should they open a car park and charge a pound for costs...
personally i think its very heavy handed and audatious to do this.
but just curious about every one else?

brandy
23-Jun-09, 20:03
sorry about the spelling mistakes guys... typing really fast !

Alice in Blunderland
23-Jun-09, 20:47
If they did open a car park then would that mean charging for it and having to find someone to man it or should it be free also.

I remember last time they opened up Bignold park for people to park in and everyone just parked around the Braehead and the streets surrounding the harbour. I saw very few cars in Bignold Park. We are a lazy lot and will try to park as near as possible. :) Even if they didnt advertise for folks to park in the street I would think they are going to do it anyway free or not its closer.

joxville
23-Jun-09, 21:50
I've no problem with it. After all, the householder doesn't own the road outside their house so unless it's a designated space, i.e. disabled etc. then they can jolly well walk...it may do them some good to get old fashioned exercise, the lazy lummocks. ;)

brandy
23-Jun-09, 22:09
well i do happen to have a disabled child, i dont have disabled parking in front of my house.

wow im gurny tonight.. and picking.. im not as upset as i seem, just frizzle frazzled...
just tend to think that if they have parking available.. it would be better to advertise that first, and use the streets as a last resort.

shazzap
23-Jun-09, 22:13
I've no problem with it. After all, the householder doesn't own the road outside their house so unless it's a designated space, i.e. disabled etc. then they can jolly well walk...it may do them some good to get old fashioned exercise, the lazy lummocks. ;)

Not everyone can walk.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Jun-09, 22:19
just tend to think that if they have parking available.. it would be better to advertise that first, and use the streets as a last resort.

Even if they set aside the whole of the hospital car park, the assembly rooms car park and set up parking in the Bignold park folk will go for the nearest streets and spaces available. If you had a disabled space at the door there is no guarantee that it wouldn't be taken by an able bodied person as some places often are in the town.
:)

joxville
23-Jun-09, 22:40
well i do happen to have a disabled child, i dont have disabled parking in front of my house.

wow im gurny tonight.. and picking.. im not as upset as i seem, just frizzle frazzled...

Not everyone can walk.

If there is a need for a designated parking space then get on to the council about allocating one.....other wise it's seen as free for anyone to use.

catran
23-Jun-09, 22:50
Where is the North Pier so I can get parked early?

catran
23-Jun-09, 22:52
Where is the North Pier so I can get parked early, don't want to go to bignold Park too far away for an old person.:roll:

dirdyweeker
23-Jun-09, 23:42
You are right, the Bignold Park was Marshalled and open for parking last Harbourfest but no more than half a dozen used it. No-one who can find a space to park anywhere nearer would use it.
Hopefully most able bodied folk would leave their car at home, nowhere in Wick is really to far to walk.
Enjoy your day out folks! :D

changilass
23-Jun-09, 23:58
Its not as if its everyday and local folks know its on so can make sure they are parked up in front of their own homes in advance.

We used to have the same on gala night in Thurso, despite having private parking. We either made sure we were already parked or made sure we were away for the weekend.

Its not fun, its bad manners but at the end of the day its not illegal so not a lot can be done.

arana negra
24-Jun-09, 08:54
Its not fun, its bad manners but at the end of the day its not illegal so not a lot can be done.

I agree with you there, I know someone who lives in a town with limited permit parking outside their door, they often have to leave their car elswhere and walk back with shopping etc If the space he normaly used was taken he would check the car over, if no permit holder he take take make/model, number, date and time and inform the relevant authority. If he found any defaults on tyres/lights, tax out of date etc he would inform the police. A bit petty perhaps on his side but irritating on a daily basis for residents not to be able to use the allocated spaces because of inconsiderate drivers.

It seems that no matter which country I am in some of us have become very reliant on the car and unwilling to walk any distance to our destination. Here in Spain they park absolutely anywhere if it nearerst to where they are going :eek:

Kirdon
24-Jun-09, 17:56
Where is the North Pier so I can get parked early, don't want to go to bignold Park too far away for an old person.:roll:

If you come down the side of the river from the Mackays hotel (river street) then go straight at the mini roundabout (Martha Terrace), then before you go around the corner at the end, just go staight on to the concrete road going round the back of the old slip. You are then on the north pier.

rfr10
24-Jun-09, 19:14

If you are a blue badgeholder, there is parking available at Medical Centre and Swimming Pool.

Wick66
24-Jun-09, 20:20
All car parking is free.
is this showing the cheek?
telling people yes park in front of peoples houses cause its ok and free.. and using an extra carpark as a last resort..
or should they open a car park and charge a pound for costs...
personally i think its very heavy handed and audatious to do this.
but just curious about every one else?

So are you saying that you have never parked outside someone elses house, whether on the school run, visiting or shopping. They will have taken police advice on this issue and if you live in the designated area then you can leave the car at your own front door and walk to the Harbour Fest and show your support for the event.

rfr10
24-Jun-09, 20:23
Since we are on the topic.. the Harbour Fest main stage seems to be parked right outside in a lorry in my street.. I'm not complaining... (for once;)) It's been there all day.

The HarbourFest is only on for a few days so surley wouldn't hurt?

I can't help to feel that your poll answers are very bias :Razz

Tighsonas4
24-Jun-09, 20:49
If you are a blue badgeholder, there is parking available at Medical Centre and Swimming Pool.
if you are unable to walk parking at any of these places would be useless tony

brandy
24-Jun-09, 21:01
actually i try very hard to never park in front of anyones house.. when shopping park in the car park. when on the school run if not walking then i park on the side of the road where there are no houses, and the only place i visit that i need the car is out in watten and thats a farm, so nope not in front of anyones house but the one im visiting.
i have to admit have parked in front of houses before when had no other choice.. ie thursday club in the pouring rain for 5 mim to grab the boy and get back home as fast as i can.. and i can honestly say i feel SUPER GUILTY.... im not a saint by any means... and in truth im not bothered to much about the on street parking.. it was the way it was worded.. and how it was put across...

rfr10
24-Jun-09, 21:52
if you are unable to walk parking at any of these places would be useless tony

Ahh.. that is why there is a shuttle minibus running between the harbour and these car parks.:)

Kevin Milkins
24-Jun-09, 23:14
Ahh.. that is why there is a shuttle minibus running between the harbour and these car parks.:)

The bus is a great idea and will help ease congestion, but will it have a drop down step for easy access? as many people that will park up and need to use this service will find it hard, if not impossible to get on and off an ordinary service bus.

rfr10
24-Jun-09, 23:20
The bus is a great idea and will help ease congestion, but will it have a drop down step for easy access? as many people that will park up and need to use this service will find it hard, if not impossible to get on and off an ordinary service bus.

I would imagine it would, considering it is for people with disability. Probably be the Highland Council minibus or something similar which I'm sure has easy access.

Kevin Milkins
24-Jun-09, 23:32
I would imagine it would, considering it is for people with disability. Probably be the Highland Council minibus or something similar which I'm sure has easy access.

Thanks for that rfr10,

Fran
25-Jun-09, 01:42

.....................................and a mini bus from there to the evnt if you have a blue card.

Fran
25-Jun-09, 01:44
I cannot get into my street with the car on gala night or county show night but it doesnt bother me, i just make sure my car is parked well in advance of the cars coming to park.

Hen Broon
25-Jun-09, 18:25
It's not that fact that people are to park in Pulteneytown that is particularly annoying, but that the Harbourfest commitee are saying Oh go ahead park in Pulteneytown streets it's fine saves us organizing a car park or shuttle buses,.

Even without this parking is a problem in the area like cars parking 2/3 wide in macCarthur street etc.

Vistravi
25-Jun-09, 22:13
Right ask a daft question but what is this harbour fest??