PDA

View Full Version : age concern

Mrs Bucket
20-Jun-09, 15:56
I have been made aware of an eldery person in their eighties being told by by their GP to buy the medication they require themselves over the counter. I know this person has never asked for anything of the state. This person only has their pension I personaly think this is disgraceful had anyone else come across this sort of thing.

Venture
20-Jun-09, 16:00
I don't know why a GP would say this seeing as OAP's get free prescriptions anyway. Maybe they have misunderstood what was said. When you are elderly it can happen.

Tighsonas4
20-Jun-09, 16:50
have never heard of such a thing. there must be some sort of a mix up in this case, get in touch with age concern tony

changilass
20-Jun-09, 17:23
Would it not make more sense to contact the doctors concerned to see if there has been a mix up first.

_Ju_
20-Jun-09, 17:51
You can buy medication for minor ailments without a perscriptionand yet without paying if they are exempt. It happened with me and my son, who had a stye in his eye and I decided to try the farmacist first. She made out the perscription and I did not have to pay for it.

Mrs Bucket
20-Jun-09, 18:56
have never heard of such a thing. there must be some sort of a mix up in this case, get in touch with age concern tony
Thankyou I will get in touch with age concern and they may get in touch with the practice concerned as I find this very worrying. I know this is a fact and not just a rumour.

Mrs Bucket
20-Jun-09, 18:59
I don't know why a GP would say this seeing as OAP's get free prescriptions anyway. Maybe they have misunderstood what was said. When you are elderly it can happen.
There was no misunderstanding just a vulnerable patient which makes it very worrying.

golach
20-Jun-09, 19:34
Would it not make more sense to contact the doctors concerned to see if there has been a mix up first.
I would agree changi, I wonder what medication is concerned?

Tighsonas4
20-Jun-09, 21:29
You can buy medication for minor ailments without a perscriptionand yet without paying if they are exempt. It happened with me and my son, who had a stye in his eye and I decided to try the farmacist first. She made out the perscription and I did not have to pay for it.
what ju is saying is really the case we signed something with the chemist and he can write out some persprictions and you get them for free
but not ones that require a gps signature tony

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jun-09, 17:51
Thankyou I will get in touch with age concern and they may get in touch with the practice concerned as I find this very worrying. I know this is a fact and not just a rumour.

I take it you were standing with the patient as you are so determined there is no mix up :confused

Patients especially the elderly could misunderstand it happens often.

Why didn't you/ or the person with the elderly patient not question the GP then as it is so concerning ...........or were you not present?

I would suggest as has been stated before contacting the GP who I am sure will be more than happy to clear up any misunderstanding.

There is, as stated a minor ailments service available from participating pharmacies. These pharmacies can advise and dispense the appropriate medication for simple ailments. This was introduced to reduce pressure on the GP's so that people with more serious illnesses can be seen quicker by their GP. These medications are free. :)

Again as stated with the elderly patient I would make my first port of call the GP. :)

catran
21-Jun-09, 20:21
I take it you were standing with the patient as you are so determined there is no mix up :confused

Patients especially the elderly could misunderstand it happens often.

Why didn't you/ or the person with the elderly patient not question the GP then as it is so concerning ...........or were you not present?

I would suggest as has been stated before contacting the GP who I am sure will be more than happy to clear up any misunderstanding.

There is, as stated a minor ailments service available from participating pharmacies. These pharmacies can advise and dispense the appropriate medication for simple ailments. This was introduced to reduce pressure on the GP's so that people with more serious illnesses can be seen quicker by their GP. These medications are free. :)

Again as stated with the elderly patient I would make my first port of call the GP. :)
Yes, Alice you are right the first port of call should be the GP whom I feel quite sure would be more than willing to clear up this muddle. Goodness gracious me, I know a person who gets bagfuls of stuff free each month on a repeat presription from their GP and a lot of it could be purchased over the counter but there again they have loads of ailments or whatever ranging from stress, bad back, wind ,bad heart, osteo porosis, pelvic foor whatever, bladder incontinenceand gooodness knows what else.Not forgetting the statins... and the person has only reached the ripe old age of 60 last year

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jun-09, 20:28
Not forgetting the statins...

:lol: :lol: oh yes we cant forget them now ;)

Fran
22-Jun-09, 01:31
Catran, maybe the 60 year old patient gets a lot of medication on free prescription because they have a medical problem, eg underactive thyroid, diabetes, cancer etc.
As for the elderly lady , maybe she pays for prescriptions and the gp told her it would be cheaper to buy it over the counter. I was told this when I used to pay for prescription s and the gp was saving me money as it would have cost a lot more on prescription.
Yes i am one of the many who dont pay for prescriptions now and get lots free....because I have a medical condition that needs a daily tablet for life.

Aaldtimer
22-Jun-09, 02:23
Over 60's don't have to pay for prescriptions!