PDA

View Full Version : Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Murdina Bug
06-Jan-16, 11:36
Your link was 'unavailable' - try this one.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files/6DE79402337D0E5C38442487A77DAF88/pdf/15_04656_FUL-PROPOSED_SITE_LAYOUT_PLAN_A1-935453.pdf

scoobyc
06-Jan-16, 22:56
Your link was 'unavailable' - try this one.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files/6DE79402337D0E5C38442487A77DAF88/pdf/15_04656_FUL-PROPOSED_SITE_LAYOUT_PLAN_A1-935453.pdf

ehh, so's your one! Maybe the links time out in reference to the search facility?

Alrock
06-Jan-16, 23:17
https://thepsychedelicsewingroom.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/15_04656_ful-proposed_site_layout_plan_a1-935453.jpg

davth
07-Jan-16, 14:33
I don't get all the excitement over another town centre destroying retail park.
Thurso needs it about as much as it needs an invasion by Daesh

allanrfc
07-Jan-16, 16:04
Did you not vote for wait rose in a previous thread? I'm sure the co-op wouldn't mind them!

gerry4
07-Jan-16, 22:13

I am sure that whoever moves in won't be raping women & children, throwing LGBT people off buildings or beheading those who disagree with them.

sids
08-Jan-16, 00:11

If Thurso doesn't need or want it, Thurso won't go there and buy stuff, will it?

2little2late
09-Jan-16, 02:41
https://thepsychedelicsewingroom.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/15_04656_ful-proposed_site_layout_plan_a1-935453.jpg

So, we have two swimming pools with a huge car park and not a lot of seating.

allanrfc
09-Jan-16, 15:55
http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/files/9FB42DA6D76AC9CE98252345966CA492/pdf/15_04656_FUL-UNIT_1_-_ELEVATION_PLAN_A1-935462.pdf
Copy and paste this into your search bar. It's definately Aldi there even building the exact same one in Stoke for a better idea.

davth
09-Jan-16, 22:52
Did you not vote for wait rose in a previous thread? I'm sure the co-op wouldn't mind them!

Indeed I did, it was very much with my tongue in my cheek though

davth
09-Jan-16, 22:54
I am sure that whoever moves in won't be raping women & children, throwing LGBT people off buildings or beheading those who disagree with them.

I dunno, if many of the high streets elsewhere which have these retail parks are anything to go by. Many of them have been rodgered roughly against their will

crayola
10-Jan-16, 14:10
Perusal of the plans for the mart site reveals that the colour and even the brand and manufacturer of the bricks demanded are the same as specified by Aldi in plans for other sites in the country. Is that fait accompli then? Or will there be another long drawn out saga over planning permission followed by inaction on the construction front?

And what about the identity of the retailer for the outlet with garden centre?

Please not natal an or one of the other cheap 'n' nasties. :(

JANJO
11-Jan-16, 00:29
totally agree with you on this point, it is exactly what i have said, the council knew that tesco were not building the store yet wasted money and said nothing

crayola
17-Jan-16, 15:02
Here are some links to the planning application that hopefully won't time out and become 'unavailable'.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NZGNHSIHGP500

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NZGNHSIHGP500

Fingers crossed. :)

crayola
05-Feb-16, 12:17
A question for Raymond Taylor.

Do you support the new retail proposals at the Mart? Or have you written a letter of objection similar to the one you submitted in 2013? You may recall it containing the statements below.

'We also pointed out that the Mart site was not fit for purpose and this has been proven by Tesco not delivering the store.'

'The Mart has been proven to be not fit for purpose...'

I disagree with these statements.

Raymond Taylor
08-Feb-16, 13:00
Full statement below so the whole sentences can be read. I have not and will not object to the present proposals. Pure NIMBYISM has done enough damage to the towns future these past few years.

My Dad was always telling me opportunity is a fickle mistress and we as a community in my opinion have shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times when we couldn't really afford to.

I'm glad you disagree with my statements, it gives me comfort that I am heading in the right direction.

Statement- My 2013 objection to Tesco getting an extension after 5 years sitting on their hands.

I write in respect to the above two planning applications to formally object to the proposals for extensions to the time allowed for the development to commence. The applicants have had over five years to implement these proposals and it is clear that this is unlikely in the near term, with Thursotherefore continuing to suffer from a retail deficiency that needs to be addressed.

For over five years the people of Thurso have been denied what they requested; retail competitiveness and in consequence much cheaper fuel. Competition in the retail and fuel sectors is hugely important in such an isolated community. One company having a dominant position is disastrous situation even when things are not as tough as they are now for families.
The Highland Council have the chance to right a wrong by refusing an extension to the permission given.

Background
Our team submitted a planning application in 2006 for the development of a 2896m2 ASDA store and petrol filling station at Pennyland Farm, Thurso. The local community council and the Highland Council Planners were in support of the Pennyland proposals, as were a large majority of locals, resulting in an original approval decision at Planning Committee. Unfortunately this decision was called in by Scottish Ministers and the public local inquiry chose to support the Auction Mart site in 2008.

My Proposals
The planning application at Pennyland Farm would already have been delivered if approved at the inquiry and would have filled a huge hole in the market. This would also have enabled the Thurso Western Expansion Plan (WEP) as identified at the recent Charrette to get off to the best possible start and attract other investment and sustainable jobs.
Enabling future development in these troubled times is a huge part of the equation in making any development a success. Thurso needs the WEP to deliver what the town needs to take it forward over the next two or three decades.

Our retail and hotel plans are only part of the WEP with an access roundabout, 170 aces of community woodland, tourism projects, housing, various other retail options and the required link road from the A836 to High Ormlie all included. Many km of walks, holiday chalets, community projects, office and business units are also part of our overall vision and could all be delivered.

Allowing an extension to the Mart site permission does absolutely the opposite and has no benefit in kind apart from site becoming less of an eyesore. The recent Charrette has identified other uses more suitable to this site and will have the same effect on the site. There has to be an argument that if you extend the present permission the eyesore will remain as Tesco have no intention to build.
I have a retailer and hotel operator ready and willing to develop. Not in five years’ time, but now (or as soon as planning is approved) with 160 jobs projected. Thurso, I am sorry to say is slowly bleeding to death and we need to stem the flow. The WEP given the retail and hotel sites to kick start the development with sustainable jobs will in my view will do this and give much needed confidence to the community both public and business.

Auction Mart Applications

This is not the first letter of objection I have written against the Mart site retail development. I appeared at the Pennyland v Mart site public enquiry. At that time which was over five years ago we warned that the Mart site was purchased to stop other retailers coming to the town in competition to Tesco. We also pointed out that the Mart site was not fit for purpose and this has been proven by Tesco not delivering the store.
If common sense were to prevail then a planning permission extension in this case would most certainly not be granted. It is obvious Tesco are protecting their stores elsewhere by dragging this out as they have done in so many other locations. We cannot allow the town to suffer any more broken promises. Even Tesco are unsure what they are doing with the local press last year quoting Tesco Corporate affairs manager Gloria Coats. She revealed discussions are being held regarding the site and said scrapping the plans are a possibility. “I can confirm that we are currently considering our options for the site, and one of these options includes the possibility of selling the site”. If the corporate affairs manager has no clue what the future holds for us why should we even give them the time of day never mind an extension. If the permission cannot be delivered or there is no commitment to deliver, an extension to permission cannot be granted, and the Highland Council have no legal obligation to do so.

Viability and Design Challenges

There are significant challenges facing Tesco’s delivery of the Auction Mart site, including providing convenient public access both on foot and vehicular from Ormlie Road. Dealing with the slope requires a retaining wall at the bottom of the site. This wall needs 12m high if I remember correctly from the enquiry and will face the all arriving trains at the entrance to the town’s station. Clearly this is not appropriate. Turning an eyesore into an eyesore is not good planning.

Health Issues

There will be a doubling of traffic in the area if the mart site is developed. I would ask if this is sensible with this site neighbouring the entrances to schools, nurseries and a college. I really think a consideration should be given to measuring present emission levels and calculating the increase. It goes without saying 1800 pupils and a huge increase in traffic is not a good mix. Some of the busiest times at this type of retail facility are the same times the kids come and go.

Thurso - Future Success of Developing to the West

We now have an opportunity backed up by the recent Charrette to make the Western Expansion Plan the catalyst to the beginning of Thurso’s recovery.

Summary

I urge the Highland Council to reject any extension to this approval. The Mart has been proven to be not fit for purpose and has been identified for much more appropriate uses with its proximity to the Schools and College at the Charrette. Our site at Pennyland is by far the best option for the town’s future health and prosperity; it is available, deliverable and allows the WEP to be delivered in a coherent and cohesive way.

I feel confident enough to state categorically that there is no benefit to the people of Thurso in giving Tesco an extension in this case.

Yours sincerely

Raymond Taylor

crayola
14-Feb-16, 00:34
Well that's a lot more positive than your usual responses Raymond sweetie. :)

In my opinion everyone in the town should shout out their support for the new proposal at the Mart. Isn't this development necessary to facilitate a secure economic future for the town?

Come on Raymond sweetie, surprise me by reaching deep inside your soul and display your love towards the people of your home town by publicly declaring your active support for this new proposal in every way you can.

davth
14-Feb-16, 11:46
Can you give me an example of where a retail park has secured the economic future of a town elsewhere in Scotland?

Raymond Taylor
14-Feb-16, 23:24
Well that's a lot more positive than your usual responses Raymond sweetie. :)

In my opinion everyone in the town should shout out their support for the new proposal at the Mart. Isn't this development necessary to facilitate a secure economic future for the town?

Come on Raymond sweetie, surprise me by reaching deep inside your soul and display your love towards the people of your home town by publicly declaring your active support for this new proposal in every way you can.

Do do you try to irk me by calling me "Sweetie" in all your comments towards me ? I don't even know who you are? you know who I am so answer this question for me. Name and address please! Only my friends can call me pet names.

No one know who the operators are at the Mart so it's only a fool that would support anything before knowing the detail.

Scunner
15-Feb-16, 01:04
Well Mr Taylor when can we expect to see your hotel and chalets being started. Have to say that the premises at Pennyland are worse looking than the Mart sight.

davth
15-Feb-16, 10:44
Well Mr Taylor when can we expect to see your hotel and chalets being started. Have to say that the premises at Pennyland are worse looking than the Mart sight.

One would have to wonder what concern it is of yours Scunner, you are appearing very troll like.

Raymond Taylor
15-Feb-16, 12:37
The building fell down last year and I am on the case. It was 250 years old and unused. It easy to judge not having a clue what is happening behind the scenes. Just for an instance, it took me 5 years to get planning agreed for the house extension.

I do hate when a cheap shot is taken, I sometimes wonder if some that comment on this site live in the real world.

The Mart site has been sitting doing much more damage for over eight years now to the local economy than Pennyland ever has. I won't go on suffice to say to if all my plans had been successful over the years how different the town would be especially to the west.

Bystander1
15-Feb-16, 17:29
Raymond T,I think you will find that 'e org. is populated by all the kooks under the sun. Either they don't live in Caithness or have blown in over the past few months. Not the place to get any kind of of sensible dialogue, and that includes from me.
And then of course you have the mensa/densa. eedjit, types and the less said about them the better.

Raymond Taylor
15-Feb-16, 20:59
Raymond T,I think you will find that 'e org. is populated by all the kooks under the sun. Either they don't live in Caithness or have blown in over the past few months. Not the place to get any kind of of sensible dialogue, and that includes from me.
And then of course you have the mensa/densa. eedjit, types and the less said about them the better.

It does seem a bit of a waste of time and energy saying anything on here which is a great shame. It was different some years ago. As you say too many Kooks!

Also, at least I admit I have a private agenda which is very well known and public record. Eventually town planners, public officials and the public are coming round to my way of thinking. I wish people were just honest when commenting.

Raymond Taylor
15-Feb-16, 21:06

I am am busy working on proposals as we speak for the hotel and chalet developments. Maybe if your so worried about the state of the Pennyland buildings you will come round and give us a hand when we get listed building consent to do more work on them or even touch them since the roof came off under an emergency provision?

crayola
21-Feb-16, 00:01
Ha ha that building next to the road at Pennyland had fallen down when I was in Thurso almost a year and a half ago. Have Tesco promised they'll rebuild it for you? :D

So Raymond (who doesn't like being called a sweetie), have you applied for planning permission for the barbed wire fence and minefield you told us you were planning to put around the dozens of chalets you said you wanted to build in your sheepies' field next to Victoria walk? Do you really think that would attract high class visitors to the town? I have my doubts.

And do you have a problem with the proposed retail development at the mart just because it's NIYBY? Do you only actively support developments on your own personal property and nowhere else in the town? I find it sad that a locally born and bred mannie can express so little support for a development that will benefit everyone in the town. :(

I am trying to be optimistic. The mart will live again and it will be good for everyone in the town.

We must all believe in it or it won't happen. Be positive Raymond (not sweetie). We all love you. Mwaaaa.

Bystander1
21-Feb-16, 10:38
As i said earlier all the kooks under the sun.

Raymond Taylor
21-Feb-16, 11:56
Sorry Crayola, I'm not wasting any more time with you reiterating what has been said before. I just wonder as you mention not actually living here anymore if your still on the same planet?

crayola
25-Feb-16, 14:19
Raymond (not sweetie) you have not been paying attention. I work part time as doctor of space medicine on Fireball XL5. :roll:

We could (perhaps even would) have had an Asda at the business park years ago if you hadn't insisted it should be in your back yard. Will you still not admit that you got that wrong? The fact is that Asda is not in Thurso for that reason and probably that reason alone. Face it!

Similarly plan your hotel near the Weigh Inn and some of your problems will go away.

Meanwhile the new plans for the mart have been at least partly opposed by one of the town's architects. This could go on for a long time. Hopefully not as long as the Tesco procrastinatory expedition. :mad:

The architect makes some good points mind. I just hope the process doesn't descend to the depths pioneered by the Asda and Tesco debacles. :confused

Sgitheanach
25-Feb-16, 16:54
It seems as if a lot of good development plans up here get opposed yet some of the more stupid proposals get passed easily . When it comes to listed buildings rather than let you restore them when they are repairable certain departments would rather let them collapse then demand they get restored at a much higher cost than it could have been originally. When it comes to commercial developments why are people not prepared to sacrifice a bit of their view for the greater good of job creation and the sustainability of the community.

Raymond Taylor
26-Feb-16, 10:20
Raymond (not sweetie) you have not been paying attention. I work part time as doctor of space medicine on Fireball XL5. :roll:

We could (perhaps even would) have had an Asda at the business park years ago if you hadn't insisted it should be in your back yard. Will you still not admit that you got that wrong? The fact is that Asda is not in Thurso for that reason and probably that reason alone. Face it!

Similarly plan your hotel near the Weigh Inn and some of your problems will go away.

Meanwhile the new plans for the mart have been at least partly opposed by one of the town's architects. This could go on for a long time. Hopefully not as long as the Tesco procrastinatory expedition. :mad:

The architect makes some good points mind. I just hope the process doesn't descend to the depths pioneered by the Asda and Tesco debacles. :confused

More misinformation that I have to respond to again. Quite glad really as it gives me a chance to say how wrong you are.

"I" was approached by Asda, they wanted to build on the Pennyland and nowhere else. It was not me that stopped them. Miller developments from Inverness who had purchased the Mart site objected and eventually succeeded in denying the town this development after the public enquiry.

Tesco then bought the Mart site from Miller for a whopping £3.8m and in doing so protected their Thurso and Wick operations denying our community, 70 jobs, competition - cheaper prices for food and fuel etc.

Tesco did the math and no Asda for 10 years. I would ask you to do the math, but I'd be wasting more time.

Results just in from 2002 Miller Developments £3.8m - Benefit to the people of Thurso and surrounding communities £0

Little wonder they flew their team and barrister up on private jet to Wick and take us on at the public enquiry in the Pentland Hotel. Good business really.

And now just to be clear on the hotel site. I argued that the site on the front is the only site that would justify the investment for a top quality hotel way back in 1990. It was to cost £4m and employ 65. I won permission from the local councillors to build there in 2002 in the town hall in Thurso. This decision was overturned when it was taken to Inverness and voted on. 65 jobs for the past 14 years, all those visitors we have lost out on, how much healthier the town centre would be. The hotel alone would have ploughed £1m into the local economy per year.

In my last comment to you I touch on NIMBYISM and self interest as Sgitheanach does above. The damage these people including the councillors in Inverness have done to the town is incalculable and can never be undone.

So Crayola please stop talking complete and utter rubbish and wasting my time. I have bankers and town planners to prepare for today. I am not beaten yet.

crayola
27-Feb-16, 16:02
Now that's odd. The response to the planning application from the Thurso architect is no longer on the council web site.

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NZGNHSIHGP500

I hope a revised version will appear soon since it drew attention to a number of interesting and important issues.

In particular it expanded on points raised in the document dated 08 FEB 2016 from the Highland Council's planning officer.

I shall not name the company or the individual architect at this point as that would be unprofessional.

I shall correct Raymond (not sweetie) Taylor's severe misapprehensions at a later time.

crayola
27-Feb-16, 22:18
Raymond (not sweetie) will you please play attention to what I'm telling you and stop answering back in class!

I don't care who approached whom first in the Asda debacle. The important point is that you have been saying for years that the best place for Asda was in your back yard. This is manifestly wrong because Asda's application was rejected and as far as I can see there is no chance whatsoever of Asda building there now.

Do you have problems distinguishing between what actually happened and what you would like to have happened? The former is the real world and the latter is your imaginary world. Stop denying it!

There remains the likelihood that Asda could have been built years ago if you and they had applied for planning permission further out of town near the business park. Do you remember how many local residents objected to your plans? It was a lot! It would have been a lot less if the plan was to build Asda further west and it would have almost certainly gone through on the first council vote which would have made its eventual existence much more likely.

In summary, the claim that your back yard was the only viable location for a large supermarket is manifest nonsense because the plan failed.

Furthermore I propose that ten years later you have still not learned from your initial mistakes. As far as I can ascertain you have been claiming for 15 years that it's not viable to build a posh hotel any further west than the location you prefer. Why for heaven's sake would this be? Forss House Hotel is the poshest place in the west of the county and it's way way way west of Pennyland! And Ackergill Tower is nowhere near the town of Wick! The Weigh Inn is not a posh joint but it has been successfully in place for many long years and long before you made the trip west to Pennyland. What is so different about your hotel's guests that they need to be so close to you?

Stop blaming everyone else for your mistakes, join the real world and collaborate with those you decry so that Thurso's future may be secured. Goddess knows this will be sorely needed once Dounreay eventually winds down.

Raymond Taylor
27-Feb-16, 23:30
I repeat what I have said for years, Asda not I wanted to build at Pennyland and only in that location. Remembering that it was the Council Planners that directed them here in 2006.

And yes, the site I identified for the hotel many years ago and which is now supported by Highland Council planners is the best place to secure the future of such an important project while supporting the town centre businesses. I have said it a hundred times, it's the only place to build this. Lenders also have some say where they will support, but of course I live in the real world.

So where did I make a mistake? Is it my mistake that if the hotel had been built it would have been now open 20 years employing 65 people and Asda 10 years ago employing 75? With these developments the town centre would be in a much better state? These my deluded friend are the simple facts of the matter.

Rheghead
28-Feb-16, 01:03
I repeat what I have said for years, Asda not I wanted to build at Pennyland and only in that location. Remembering that it was the Council Planners that directed them here in 2006.

And yes, the site I identified for the hotel many years ago and which is now supported by Highland Council planners is the best place to secure the future of such an important project while supporting the town centre businesses. I have said it a hundred times, it's the only place to build this. Lenders also have some say where they will support, but of course I live in the real world.

So where did I make a mistake? Is it my mistake that if the hotel had been built it would have been now open 20 years employing 65 people and Asda 10 years ago employing 75? With these developments the town centre would be in a much better state? These my deluded friend are the simple facts of the matter.

Have you ever considered to yourself that you have failed because you have upset the apple cart syndrome?

Raymond Taylor
28-Feb-16, 10:37
Yeah! It's been tough.

Even with a petition of over 3000 supporting the Asda at Pennyland in 2006,with the support of Highland Council planners and Community Council we still came unstuck.

My first ever hotel application on the "front" was approved in 1992 by local councillors. At that time it also had the support of Thurso Traders, Community Council and many businesses. It was reversed in Inverness a few months later. Local Labour councillor Jim Fry raised a "notice of amendment" which called the project down to Inverness to be reviewed.

I attended the meeting and was astonished and dismayed how this hugely important project for the town was dealt with.

Christina Cumming the Labour Party group leader stood up in the chamber and announced "the labour councillors en masse would be supporting Mr Fry's amendment to reject the hotel project".

Basically the Labour whip was being used.

The Chairman of the planning committee Francis Keith from Durness was astonished as much as me and said in chamber "This was the first time politics had ever influenced a planning matter" lucky for me and the town eh?

The planning approval was lost and a precedent was set. Over the next few years I appealed and applied again a few times but once it was rejected originally as I said the precedent of rejection was set.

So Mr Reghhead not just me but the town lost out by pure politics, I wasn't even a Tory but my Dad loved Maggie, maybe that was it. Upsetting the apple cart is really an underestimation of what went on back then.

crayola
28-Feb-16, 13:55
Some progress at last! You agreed with Rheg that you failed.

Yes Raymond (not sweetie) you have made all those mistakes. You evidently don't distinguish reality from what you think reality should be. You failed with your first hotel bids and you failed with Asda. Face it, learn from your mistakes and don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

The facts are that you failed to build a hotel and you failed to build a supermarket but all you do is blame everyone but yourself. Those jobs didn't and don't exist because you failed. Change your ways and your attitude of blame and you might start to succeed.

Badmouthing the wonderful Mr Jim Fry won't help you.

Anyways....

Let's get back to discussing the important topic of the proposal for the mart. I only responded to your initial trolling of this thread because I felt sorry for you. :(

Raymond Taylor
28-Feb-16, 14:48
Is informing folk what actually happened badmouthing? I knew Jim and he was certainly a good man. Did he allow the use the Labour whip to overturn a local approval.. Yes! Was it the first time a political whip was used in the experience of the planning chairmans long tenure as a councillor...Yes!

So not only am I still sweetie, which I told you annoys me I'm now also an Internet troll. Pot and Black come to mind- almost 3000 posts v 34 posts as I said your somewhat deluded!

I better rest my case as I have now covered exhaustively my thoughts. If you don't quite get it fair enough, I'm sure plenty do. I'm not wasting another word on you as I'm getting dizzy repeating myself.

I will lastly and gladly inform the forum that a detailed first phase plan for the development of the West of Thurso plan will be out mid summer. I will hold a pre planning meeting with the Highland Council planners at the earliest opportunity. This plan will include the development of a 55 room spa and leisure hotel, associated chalets, housing, business units, petrol station and the complete renovation of the outbuildings. Added to this the development of the 170 acre Community Woodland is progressing and the 20 acre public park is still part of our plans.

JTP the renowned town planners received thier brief from me earlier this week and have started work.

crayola
28-Feb-16, 15:04
But have you learned anything from your past failures or will you repeat all your mistakes yet again? Your admission of failure to Rheg is a good start. :)

I look forward to seeing your plans and if sensible I'm sure you will credit me with helping you see the light after so many years of sitting in the dark shouting at the world.

Would you be interested in investing in the Caithness and Sutherland School of Witchcraft? We took the secret society route when we started up but we shall go public once we are better established in the area. A site close to your hotel would guarantee you a steady flow of well heeled guests. ;)

Back on topic, does anyone know why the submission from the Thurso architect in connection with the new mart proposal has been taken down from the planning web site?

davth
05-Mar-16, 13:00
Crayola, why do you see the need to troll another member continuously using terms he has already informed you he finds annoying and continuously insulting him by calling him a failure?
Is it any concern of yours if he wishes to continue with his plans to develop Thurso?

crayola
05-Mar-16, 13:22
Can I encourage the Thurso architect to either resubmit his comments on the new mart proposal or to submit a revised version? Hopefully a revised version would have a slightly more positive narrative.

gillsbay
05-Mar-16, 14:47
If you are looking for comments, look under the comments tag, the 3 comments which were there previously are still there, including the one with which you seem to be currently obsessed.

bekisman
07-Mar-16, 17:30
Crayola, why do you see the need to troll another member continuously using terms he has already informed you he finds annoying and continuously insulting him by calling him a failure?
Is it any concern of yours if he wishes to continue with his plans to develop Thurso? and is it any concerns of yours if she does?

davth
07-Mar-16, 20:48
and is it any concerns of yours if she does?

I dont think she has any plans to develop Thurso does she?
Maybe she does, would certainly explain her underwhelmed attitude towards Mr Taylors proposed projects.

bekisman
07-Mar-16, 20:53
I dont think she has any plans to develop Thurso does she?
Maybe she does, would certainly explain her underwhelmed attitude towards Mr Taylors proposed projects.

Oh I see, she does seem to dig deep into things

crayola
12-Mar-16, 12:50
If you are looking for comments, look under the comments tag, the 3 comments which were there previously are still there, including the one with which you seem to be currently obsessed.
Thank you. :)

The problem was that for some reason the browser on my old mobile device didn't show the comments on that web page. :confused

What do you think of the unsupportive comments by the architect? Unfortunately for the rapid progress of the project, I think he makes some very good points on issues that I had semi-consciously brushed aside in my mind.

crayola
19-Mar-16, 00:05
As a favour to the community I have posted below the previously mentioned thoughtful and well informed comment. He makes many points that must be considered before any building can begin. Please engage with this important and crucial issue.

Neil McDonald
Comment submitted date: Tue 12 Jan 2016
I wish to submit a representation in respect to the above planning application.

Significant investment and development is to be welcomed where the development adds value to the sustainability of a community by helping create a quality living environment, excellent educational and community facilities, encourages a vibrant local economy and enhances the natural and built environment. The planning process has been established so applications can be properly evaluated against these, and other, key criteria. The process can successfully help deliver real benefit and a quality project where all parties involved work in a spirit of openness and collaboration and the information provided to support the application is full, clear and has been robustly tested against the relevant development criteria.

My current view is the application as submitted fails to meet the quality and type of development which will add value to the sustainability of our Town and wider community. I therefore wish to object to the application as submitted on the following grounds:

1. On a procedural matter, in light of the application submission date in relation to the holiday period and Highland Council office closures, what is the deadline for public representations and neighbour notification? I trust it will be extended to give everyone the opportunity to submit representations for a project of this scale and significance.

2. There is insufficient information accompanying the application to be able to take an informed and balanced view on the merits of the application bearing in mind the potential impact the application will have on the Town and established businesses.

3. Planning Policy at local, regional and national level has a presumption of "Town Centre First" when it comes to assessing the impact significant development might have on existing Towns. Most recently the Scottish Government's policy outcome from the "Review of Scottish Town Centres" has reinforced this key planning principle. The application fails to address this fundamental planning issue.

4. Local Plan issues.

a. The current Local Plan envisaged the Council preparing a development brief with the owners to explore a range of alternative uses. What were the outcomes of this options appraisal exercise with the applicant and indeed the previous site owner? I note the Local Plan states:

"In planning terms redevelopment for business/light industrial workshops, further education facilities, a community/art centre and residential uses would be appropriate. Non-food retail warehousing would only be considered as part of a mixed development which incorporates the other appropriate uses and benefits for the wider community".

Refer further comment below in "5".

b. I note that in respect to this site the updated Local Plan states under Developer
Requirements:

"In addition (to 08/00494 (tel:08/00494)/REMCA consent) an active travel route is to be established along the east side of Ormlie Road and through the site from Janet Street as part of "Safer Routes to Schools"; high quality and design"

Refer further comment below in "5".

5. In my view, the recent community engagement exercise "A New Vision for Thurso" and the subsequent updated Local Plan which itself was informed by the engagement exercise has been substantially ignored by the applicant. I note the updated Local Plan has now been approved as the settled view of the Council and must be treated as a material planning consideration for development management purposes as of 4 November 2015. It is unacceptable that after spending tens of thousands of pounds of public money on community engagement and the preparation of the updated Local Plan, that the first application of significance submitted after the Council has agreed their settled view should ignore aspects of the community and Councils aspirations for the Town's sustainable development. It singularly fails to address key criteria referred to above in "3 & 4" such as:

a. The site use should be mixed. The application only envisages retail which is likely to be Aldi or a similar budget supermarket with other national retail chains tagging on behind. This will only happen if the developer's negotiations are successful in driving down site development costs to keep lease terms at the keenest level possible in order to attract national retailer's interests and maximise commercial return.

b. High quality and design. The site layout ignores the grain of the existing Town planning which is of National historical significance and the building designs as presented have minimal design merit. The proposals fail to deliver in any meaningful way on the community and policy aspirations for appropriate development which enhances the Town's built environment by means of quality development.

c. The north east corner of the site forms a key visual end stop to Princes Street and the Town Conservation Area vista. The application completely misses the opportunity to make a positive contribution to the richness of the Townscape which is bitterly disappointing.

6. The application has insufficient detail to merit proper evaluation in respect to:

a. Traffic management.

b. "Safer Routes to School" bearing in mind the proximity of Miller Academy Primary
School, Thurso High School and the UHI.

c. Contaminated land assessment for brownfield site development.

d. Contextual visualisations to clearly communicate the impact the development will have on the Townscape.

e. The drainage assessment refers to an historical flagstone field drain through the centre of the site. It is likely that this drain connects with other unrecorded historical field drains which may act as a direct conduit to Thurso River. Any such direct conduit may reduce the efficacy of the treatment proposals for surface water disposal to the environment. If historical flagstone drains are not dealt with by best practice there remains a significant risk that environmental pollution, flooding or surcharging of existing drains may occur.

7. The applicant has only applied for consent for part of the site extending to 1.75 hectares and
2 retail units which create less than 10,000m² of floor area. If they had applied for consent for the whole site development (for example as envisaged by the applicant in the plan forming part of the Drainage Strategy Plan and Flood Risk Assessment) then my understanding is the application process may have to had been dealt with as a Major Planning application as the whole site area exceeds 2 hectares and total building floor area would almost certainly exceed 10,000m². I would contend that an incremental approach to the control of development for this site is wholly inappropriate and has more to do with the applicant wishing to avoid project development costs and short cut the planning process. In my view the applicant should be required to submit an application setting out their proposal for the development of the whole site and have it determined as a Major Planning application so that an appropriate level of information is provided to enable proper scrutiny and due diligence in assessing the applicant's proposals.

8. The applicant acquired 14 Tesco sites across the country. It would be logical if those sites which offered the best return for shareholders were to be developed first. In this context the applicant should be required to make a statement on where the development of the Thurso site lies in their priorities.

The timing of the application submission to coincide with the holiday period, the lack of supporting information and the ignoring of Policy raises real concern that this application is ill considered and of minimal (if any) value to the community. Whilst not forming part of the application, recent press statements have referred to 100's of jobs being created but there has been absolutely no substantiation as to how these jobs will be created and how many existing jobs they will displace. There is no mention of the potential negative economic impact this development will have on our established Town centres hard pressed retailers. Tacit reference has also been made to mixed use but is not realised in the application because commercial returns on anything other than retail use will not maximise a commercial developer's return on this site. Reference to student accommodation is highly unlikely to be deliverable as the developer is not the current UHI Framework Development partner for delivering student accommodation across the region.

The minimal investment in the preparation of the application and the lack of any attempt to demonstrate an understanding for our Town, the site, its context, the communities' aspirations and planning policy says it all. The application as presented is not in the Town's best interests. I suspect when the developer progresses to the detailed design stage that the commercial realties in developing this site will then come home to them and development will drift as it did with Tesco.

The press statements are all spin, of no substance, and are designed to construct a perception of a reality which cannot and will not be delivered. In my mind an application of this importance to the Town should not even have been validated due to the lack of information never mind ultimately possibly receive approval. The appropriate development of this site as envisioned in the Local Plan and community engagement exercise has the potential to unlock far greater community benefit than is being offered here. The application must be refused in its present form as our Town deserves much much better than this.

rogermellie
19-Mar-16, 03:52
i'll give you my own take on what this area needs in plain english ....

* when entering Thurso on the train, the site looks like a complete midden and first impressions are that 'this is a town that doesn't giving a flying hoot about first impressions'

* Thurso could really benefit from a nicely landscaped green area that welcomes visitors on the train. A green space with trees, paths, sculptures and water features that the locals would enjoy and visitors could appreciate instead of the current eyesore.

* Thurso doesn't need (or want) any chainstore/s that'll suck the life out of the town centre

* The High School and Train Station could (and should) be gifted some land to increase their car/bus parking spaces

* The junction at Lover's Lane/Ormlie Road/Castlegreen Road should be turned into a roundabout to keep traffic moving at peak times

there, job done

crayola
04-Jun-16, 15:02
Almost 7 years since I started this thread, where are we now? Are we any nearer an outcome than we were 7 years ago? Sadly I have my doubts.

Although there are amended plans and many more consultation responses have been uploaded to the HC website in the three months since my last post, we are still awaiting definite news.

Dare we hope to be further forward this time next year or will I be writing the same words in 12 months?

Revised plans and consultation comments are on the HC website.

crayola
11-Sep-16, 22:49
Interesting article on Caithness Business.

It appears that Caithness councillors want to withdraw any permission for development at Pennyland and Victoria Walk.

Public to be consulted on CaSPlan changes

8th September 2016

The Caithness and Sutherland Local Development Plan (CaSPlan) which sets out The Highland Council's vision and development strategy for the area over the next 20 years is to be modified and put out for public consultation.

In a Report presented to both the Sutherland and Caithness Area Committees last week the recommendations on the issues were to defend the Proposed Plan with only minor modifications, which would have seen the Plan progress to Examination as the next stage. However whilst the Area Committees agreed with such an approach in respect of most of the issues, the Caithness Committee decided to propose the removal of two site allocations in Thurso.

Site TS12 East of Burnside currently shown as allocated for Community/public park use
Site TS14 Land West of Caravan Park allocated for Business,Tourism & Leisure which was intended to provide opportunity for hotel development.

Due to these significant changes the next stage of the CaSPlan will be a 6 week public consultation on a Modified Plan. Arrangements are currently being drawn up for the consultation, including its timing, and will be advertised shortly.

Following this further consultation period consideration of the comments received will take place before a report goes to the Area Committees early in the New Year in order that any further pre-Examination consideration and decisions can be undertaken. After this the next stage will be submitting the CaSPlan to Scottish Ministers for the Examination of any outstanding issues

Public to be consulted on CaSPlan changes (http://caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=6950)

Does anyone have more details?

And what's going on with proposals for the former mart site?

Yes I'm a bit out of date. :(

crayola
07-Oct-16, 23:37
I am so so pleased to read that Caithness councillors have stymied the elfish plan to build a big hotel on Victoria Walk. Our hard working councillors previously saved the town from an elephantine Asda being forced on us in the wrong location. Now they have once again excelled in their duty to the brave townspeople of Thurso by opposing the wilful destruction of one of the finest vistas in the world. The people of Thurso do not have to suffer the consequences of yet another vanity project from the man who took vanity projects to a new level.

Thank you Caithness councillors. We love you.

Here's the story from last month's local newspaper.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Blow-for-Thurso-seafront-hotel-plans-02092016.htm

Now when are you going to sort out the mess at the mart?

Max
20-Oct-16, 22:06
[QUOTE=crayola;1155500]I am so so pleased to read that Caithness councillors have stymied the elfish plan to build a big hotel on Victoria Walk. Our hard working councillors previously saved the town from an elephantine Asda being forced on us in the wrong location. Now they have once again excelled in their duty to the brave townspeople of Thurso by opposing the wilful destruction of one of the finest vistas in the world. The people of Thurso do not have to suffer the consequences of yet another vanity project from the man who took vanity projects to a new level.

Thank you Caithness councillors. We love you.

You don't even live here so nothing is being "forced" on you!

crayola
17-Dec-16, 16:29
Well..

I see the mart developers have changed a small number of details on their proposals for the mart. But evidently they haven't changed them enough to satisfy the powers that be.

You can catch up with some recent developments at

During 2016 I have seen the mart site being advertised for sale. Yes again!

And I have seen so far non-existent retail units at the mart being offered for lease.

I have walked on glaciers that move faster than the pace of developments at the mart!

I am hoping for better in 2017. But not necessarily a whole lot better. :(

Recycle it
17-Dec-16, 19:01
There's a report stating that houses price and job opportunities will drop dramatically over the next few years. The MART site is NO longer an investment , the community group thats into tiding up and bring such sites into public use had been told " don't bother asking " so things look bleak.

The Horseman
18-Dec-16, 00:00
Hi,
I have 'followed' you for some time, and do wonder if you are sometimes joking or serious.
What would be wrong with filling that empty space with a nice modern hotel, and whatever else the poor man wants to build.
I do agree that both Thurso and Wick for that matter, need to make their Towns more attractive.
I think if you live in an area, you do not see the lack of brightness in the landscape, and a new building would make the area 'come to life'.
Even if a hotel is built, there is lots of room to view Scrabster, and the surrounding sea view.
Wouldn't it be nice for visitors to have a nice sea view and a patio bar......even the locals would enjoy it.
I used to live in Caithness and visit regularly and it's the same olde....same olde.
Give the man a chance and spruce up Thurso..........Give the Town a better opportunity to attract tourists....
Come on, get with the modernization......

crayola
22-Dec-16, 00:52
There's a report stating that houses price and job opportunities will drop dramatically over the next few years. The MART site is NO longer an investment , the community group thats into tiding up and bring such sites into public use had been told " don't bother asking " so things look bleak.
Can you point me to a copy of this report?

Thanks
C :)

The Horseman
23-Dec-16, 02:44
i'll give you my own take on what this area needs in plain english ....

* when entering Thurso on the train, the site looks like a complete midden and first impressions are that 'this is a town that doesn't giving a flying hoot about first impressions'

* Thurso could really benefit from a nicely landscaped green area that welcomes visitors on the train. A green space with trees, paths, sculptures and water features that the locals would enjoy and visitors could appreciate instead of the current eyesore.

* Thurso doesn't need (or want) any chainstore/s that'll suck the life out of the town centre

* The High School and Train Station could (and should) be gifted some land to increase their car/bus parking spaces

* The junction at Lover's Lane/Ormlie Road/Castlegreen Road should be turned into a roundabout to keep traffic moving at peak times

there, job done

I agree with Rogermellie and more.
Neil McDonald perhaps thinks he is building the Taj Mahal in Thurso.
Something should be done with Caithness.
Now this is not a Complaint from 'an outsider'. I see Caithness from a different perspective.
Give the tourists something to look forward t.

Some years ago the maps put out about Scotland, were cut off just North of Inverness.
I still see the same thing........

The Horseman
18-Jan-17, 00:05
Just read in the Groat that there are upcoming meetings....
Local Outcome Improvement, and
The Scottish Government has passed The Unity and Improvement Act....first Meeting in Thurso on Wed.....
The object of the exercise is to Make Caithness a Better Place to Live and to address the Inequalities and improve the Problems.....
These are great words......let's hope that some life can be installed in the Communities.....Somehow.......well we shall see!
Has the Thurso Hotel fallen thru?

Raymond Taylor
18-Jan-17, 12:50
Just read in the Groat that there are upcoming meetings....
Local Outcome Improvement, and
The Scottish Government has passed The Unity and Improvement Act....first Meeting in Thurso on Wed.....
The object of the exercise is to Make Caithness a Better Place to Live and to address the Inequalities and improve the Problems.....
These are great words......let's hope that some life can be installed in the Communities.....Somehow.......well we shall see!
Has the Thurso Hotel fallen thru?

Hotel, Lodge and Public Park Plan still very much alive. I will be posting the updated position very shortly.

The Horseman
18-Jan-17, 14:26
I see your Hotel etal being such a benefit to Thurso. I have stayed in a few over the past years and I think there is a great need for something like what you are planning.
I doubt if it would spoil the view, in fact my feeling is that it would enhance it.
Caithness needs more innovative projects, and I hope that these upcoming meetings are not just 'a feel good exercise' by the local politicians.
Neil McDonald's requirements would put anyone off. Yes there has to be parameters, but I feel 'rogermellie' has definitely answered some of the problems.
And luverly 'Crayola'.......what u say? What do you have against such a dynamic project? And the midden approaching the train Stn!
Green up the buildings...hang Xmas lights on them...turn them up on a dull day and in the evenings....that would be 'feel good'.

crayola
04-Feb-17, 02:09
The proposed development at the Mart is potentially the True saviour of Thurso.

There is no virtue in revisiting failed rejected fantasies elsewhere in the town. Therein lies the road to ruin. And we the people of Thurso must never be fooled onto that path.

Bystander1
04-Feb-17, 08:30
The Regal Wee who have not lived in Thurso for how many years ?

Raymond Taylor
04-Feb-17, 11:04

There is no virtue in revisiting failed rejected fantasies elsewhere in the town. Therein lies the road to ruin. And we the people of Thurso must never be fooled onto that path.

i refer to my reply on the Planners give go ahead to our project thread.

crayola
25-Feb-17, 01:25
Following the inevitable outcome of recent events there is still only one serious contender in the Thurso development stakes. For your own benefit I implore all my fellow Thurso folkies to support the proposed development at the mart. The future of the town depends on its success. Your future depends on its success. There are no alternatives. Get behind the proposed development at the mart or forever hold your ambition. Your councillors support you and they support the proposed development at the mart. For your sake, for the sake of your children and your children's children give the mart your unequivocal support.

C :)

Gronnuck
25-Feb-17, 10:58
Just out of interest who is this Crayola who has such a great interest in Thurso and the mart site? Does he/she live in Thurso? Does he/she own property in or around the mart area? I'd just like to know what their interest is?

Rheghead
25-Feb-17, 14:42
Just out of interest who is this Crayola who has such a great interest in Thurso and the mart site? Does he/she live in Thurso? Does he/she own property in or around the mart area? I'd just like to know what their interest is?

Does it really matter who he/she is? Just take the posts at face value. It is an anonymous message board.

Raymond Taylor
25-Feb-17, 14:50
Does it really matter who he/she is? Just take the posts at face value. It is an anonymous message board.

It's great to be able to hide behind anonymity while it lasts;)

Rheghead
25-Feb-17, 15:41
It's great to be able to hide behind anonymity while it lasts;)

What do you mean?

Alrock
25-Feb-17, 16:05
Is this Crayola?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPsGM78Rd8

[lol]

cptdodger
25-Feb-17, 16:11
Your councillors support you and they support the proposed development at the mart. For your sake, for the sake of your children and your children's children give the mart your unequivocal support. :)

No, I think I will stick to giving my support 100% to a development that is viable. As for the Councillors you speak of, they don't support me, they clearly don't speak for me, so, we will see what happens when May comes.

Raymond Taylor
26-Feb-17, 08:41

"And we the people of Thurso" ?

Raymond Taylor
26-Feb-17, 08:57
What do you mean?

Sorry that comment wasn't aimed at you.

Rheghead
26-Feb-17, 20:39
Is this Crayola?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPsGM78Rd8

[lol]

You've heard it too then?

The Horseman
18-Mar-17, 19:59
Crayola, I think I just saw your profile.......
Please tell me it is not true????

dragonfly
06-Jul-17, 21:50
see a large FOR SALE sign has now been erected in the old Mart site.....

Shaggy
06-Jul-17, 23:07
see a large FOR SALE sign has now been erected in the old Mart site.....

Whats the going rate for a large these days? don't really see many for sale

Raymond Taylor
07-Jul-17, 08:10
So the Mart site debacle continues. Dancing on Asda's grave for sure.

Shaggy
07-Jul-17, 10:20
so if its up for sale now then what happened to the proposed garden centre and supermarket? I personally don't think Asda are interested in opening up there or anywhere else round this area, same with the other big names that were bandied around over the last couple years. I can't see Thurso improving much either with the recent developments (or rather a lack of developments) and coupled with the further downgrading and job reduction at Dounreay it only means less money coming into the area. Scrabster making a bigger pier will only benefit the few so what's left?

2little2late
10-Jul-17, 23:28
I can assure you Asda will not be opening a store in Thurso. It is not logistically feasible for them to build a store in Thurso. Looks like you're stuck with another eyesore. I suggest you get on to 'e cooncil and ask what is going on. Only they know.

crayola
07-Oct-17, 13:44
I know the new development at the Mart site was awarded planning permission in the summer. Has anything moved forward on site yet?

I don't expect to be told Waitrose and John Lewis are opening next week but some positive news would be welcome after such a long wait. :)

crayola
04-Nov-17, 14:27
Should the lack of any response after four weeks lead me to conclude there has been no physical building activity on the former mart site? Sadly I fear so.

The lives of the ghosts of sheepies past will not then be brightened by the cacophony of continuous ringing of tills at Christmas?

In the lifetime of the Org, Wick has enjoyed a massive new Tesco store, a substantial retail park, a brand new high school, two brand new primary schools, a big new council building and the architecturally splendid national nuclear archive. Have I missed anything?

Meanwhile Thurso has enjoyed er, nothing at all? Is it really nothing? Nothing on that scale anyway.

There have been developments at Scrabster but these have direct effects on relatively few of the people of Thurso.

I am delighted for the town of Wick and its wonderful people. The new facilities are well earned and richly deserved. But what is the future of Thurso and its people? I wonder if there is one. A bright one?

Highland RS
05-Nov-17, 05:44
It is nice to see the tables turned and Wick getting its share for a change. For far too many decades everything went to Thurso, this is now a rebalancing. I am sure things will switch again in the future.

I feel for the Thurso people as they are also deserving of shiny new things, however, when only one place was able to get these things, I am thoroughly glad it is Wick.

Just a note to Crayola, Thurso has enjoyed the development of a cinema, a substantial redevelopment of the college which still has a way to go, a upgrade of the Lidl site, and also an upgrade of leisure facilities at its pool, to name a couple. Just remember that if a project which had been put forward for Thurso had overwhelming public support, as opposed to being so split, then the councillors would not be knocking them back. If people want new projects then they should stop being against them when they are put forward.

Thurso should also remember the huge increase in tourist numbers, not only through being a sea hub to Orkney but also the substantial amount of cruise ships visiting Scrabster, all of which directly impact the town. When that is the case, it is up to the people of Thurso to use those opportunities as not every positive change has to be done through retails parks, which many would argue sucks the life out of town centres.

Sgitheanach
05-Nov-17, 15:20
Just remember that if a project which had been put forward for Thurso had overwhelming public support, as opposed to being so split, then the councillors would not be knocking them back. If people want new projects then they should stop being against them when they are put forward.

Thurso should also remember the huge increase in tourist numbers, not only through being a sea hub to Orkney but also the substantial amount of cruise ships visiting Scrabster, all of which directly impact the town. When that is the case, it is up to the people of Thurso to use those opportunities as not every positive change has to be done through retails parks, which many would argue sucks the life out of town centres.

The people of Thurso are clueless when it comes to tourism every project i have seen proposed has seen nothing but objections . The few people who have wanted to try and develope the tourist industry have faced nothing objections to their plans . You see more advertising for john o groats and orkney in Thurso than you do for Thurso itself

crayola
26-Nov-17, 12:40
Thanks Highland RS for your list of Thurso developments. I thought the Org might have predated the cinema but evidently not. I also forgot Caithness Horizons although that’s not a new build.

Some proposals for big new builds were on the wrong sites and consequently failed to make it through the planning stage. Or even as far as the planning stage in some cases. And sadly there were no Plans B. This problem persists even today. Or are there recent paradigm shifts to give us hope?

The boost in tourist numbers from the NC 500 should have been manna from heaven for the upmarket hospitality industry in Thurso. But Thurso hasn’t benefited as it should because of the ‘planning for the wrong place’ problem. Is it too late? I’d like to think not.

Friends from Glasgow/Edinburgh who drove the NC 500 recently reported that Thurso was ‘dead’. They said there was nothing going on in the town. They stayed at Forss House. As does my sister on her increasingly rare forays home. And my best pal from school usually stays there too.

Is anyone still dancing on Asda’s grave at the Mart? Or on Tesco’s grave at the Mart? Will there be an Aldi grave there soon or are rumours of its death premature? Let’s hope so.

Bill Fernie
30-Nov-17, 08:40
Don't forget the huge developments at Wick harbour with the redevelopment of the Stevens building and changes to the harbour getting ready for work boats etc. All this to supply the Beatrice Field of wind turbines. Up to 65 jobs in the construction period for the buildings to be completed in 2018. The possible 150 - 200 jobs on work boats as the turbines are constructed . Then up to 90 permanent jobs in the newly refurbished buildings connected to the turbines.

All the projects you mention have taken many years to come to fruition and possibly it is coincidence that they are all happening in a relatively short period of time. Undoubtedly there was big push to transform the fortunes of Wick after many decades of decline. It was very frustrating how long it took to get the schools and then finally once I became Chairman of the Education committee we got to the point where it was possible for many reasons to come forward with plans to renew all the Wick schools. Capital spending on that scale was not just about improving the education facilities but giving a boost to the local economy. The other spends on council offices and the nuclear archive had similar aims for the economy. Unconnected but very welcome was the development of the wind farms at sea.

Additionally we have had big spends going on but not so obvious for the new connection over the Moray Firth plus the new substations in various parts of the county. Added to that Wick harbour has seen the importing of turbines for several wind farms onshore giving some badly needed income for the harbour. Wick harbour continues to develop their plans and we will see more things happening in coming years.

New house building is still happening in Wick at various sites.

The down side has been the closing of the Tax office and run down in health services and CHAT is opposing several changes that may come forward by NHS Highland as that may reduce well paid jobs in the transfer of the balance of care as the health board put it We can do without reductions at the Town and County hospital or more reductions in the Caithness General. We want them to bring more clinics to Caithness General and find away to improve the number of birth in Caithness since so many are now in Raigmore, Inverness. Health plays a big part in the local economy so we want more dealt with locally.

ecb
01-Dec-17, 12:27
For those who want to keep a scoreboard of how Wick and Thurso fare comparitively in who gets (or loses) what, in todays Groat there is a story that the RBS branch in Wick faces closure next May (the RBS branch in Thurso is not on the list of planned closures).

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/RBS-branch-in-Wick-faces-closure-01122017.htm

dozy
01-Dec-17, 12:44
I have been lead to believe that a local body approached the banks with the idea to have all local banks share one building along with a credit union and community trust , to stop the closures and complete loss of these vacillaties.
Had to laugh at the Highland Councill say that the best place for a running track is Viewfirth field ,with their track history on projects they're the last folk you'd ask or take advice from . Maybe the track would be better suited next to the school with the ground for parking, would be the right call and not in a residemcail area . Yet again the idiots are running the asylum. Will we never learn .

theone
01-Dec-17, 19:52
For those who want to keep a scoreboard of how Wick and Thurso fare comparitively in who gets (or loses) what, in todays Groat there is a story that the RBS branch in Wick faces closure next May (the RBS branch in Thurso is not on the list of planned closures).

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/RBS-branch-in-Wick-faces-closure-01122017.htm

Thurso lost it's Clydesdale earlier this year. I can't see much future for multiple high street banks in our towns.

Shaggy
02-Dec-17, 11:38
Thurso lost it's Clydesdale earlier this year. I can't see much future for multiple high street banks in our towns.

My home town is on the list to lose it's branch of the RBS, the problem now will be where will 12000+ people bank?. Once RBS is gone, there will be no banks left in the town, Clydesdale having quit several years ago. When you look at Wick with TSB, Clydesdale, RBS & BoS, makes you wonder how 4 banks actually managed to stay in business with such a small population

Highland RS
04-Dec-17, 07:42
Cos we have lots of money in Wick 😂

Shaggy
04-Dec-17, 16:14
Cos we have lots of money in Wick 

Only because you are all tight with it lol

crayola
16-Dec-17, 20:09
Had to laugh at the Highland Councill say that the best place for a running track is Viewfirth field ,with their track history on projects they're the last folk you'd ask or take advice from . Maybe the track would be better suited next to the school with the ground for parking, would be the right call and not in a residemcail area . Yet again the idiots are running the asylum. Will we never learn .
Ha ha dozy, if I had a doubting bone in my body I’d say your latest wardrobe malfunction is putting your nimby streak on show. ;)

I wouldn’t say Viewfirth field was a crazy site for a running track unless I lived next door to it. And anyway is Viewfirth field no a wee bitty flatter than the high school fields?

I’m with you on the high school field mind. It’s away from residential areas and it would be good for the school and the college to use.

And mebbe it’s a wee bitty closer til e new shoppees at e mart. :)

dozy
16-Dec-17, 20:40
Well some dogs will bark up anything . I dont see the new shoppees ever landing at the mart site , any running track would need a decent sized car park . Funny how all these so called exercise events always need huge parking and changing facilities . Better thinking is needed to solve the problem ,not a bigger mouth or empty head which the council seen to have nonopoly on. Please don't listen to those who have self interest as the carrot they want you to follow ,the mart site may take a little more work but it's got huge advantages .

mi16
16-Dec-17, 21:57
Well some dogs will bark up anything . I dont see the new shoppees ever landing at the mart site , any running track would need a decent sized car park . Funny how all these so called exercise events always need huge parking and changing facilities . Better thinking is needed to solve the problem ,not a bigger mouth or empty head which the council seen to have nonopoly on. Please don't listen to those who have self interest as the carrot they want you to follow ,the mart site may take a little more work but it's got huge advantages .

Why would they not require changing facilities and car parking?

PS what's a nonopoly?

crayola
17-Dec-17, 13:05
I assume you’re suggesting putting the running track on the field between the high school and NHC which isn’t too sloped. The former sheepies’ field at the top end of the mart site would be an interesting suggestion if it weren’t on so much of a slope. Could it be levelled at reasonable cost? How about a posh hotel overlooking the mall?

Sadly the council don’t have a nonopoly on empty heads and big mouths. There are some you can’t get through to in the town itself. I fear the mart saga still has some time to go.

dozy
17-Dec-17, 20:29
Why would they not require changing facilities and car parking?

PS what's a nonopoly?

Sorry but the IPad has a problem with translation from Norwegian to England/ Caithness slant.

crayola
23-Dec-17, 18:00
Since Thurso is in dire need of an upmarket hotel for the upmarket NC500ers and he-who-shall-not-be-named won’t have one in his field west of his house, I’m warming to the idea of a posh hotel in the top field on the former mart site.

The view across the mall and down to the town from the higher floors would I think be good and it’s not far from the town centre. Could it be a winner?

cptdodger
24-Dec-17, 00:33
Since Thurso is in dire need of an upmarket hotel for the upmarket NC500ers and he-who-shall-not-be-named won’t have one in his field west of his house, I’m warming to the idea of a posh hotel in the top field on the former mart site.

The view across the mall and down to the town from the higher floors would I think be good and it’s not far from the the town centre. Could it be a winner?

You just don't give up, do you Crayola ?

Mik.M.
01-Jan-18, 15:12
You just don't give up, do you Crayola ?
Not like she even lives here either.

Raymond Taylor
06-Jan-18, 13:19

The view across the mall and down to the town from the higher floors would I think be good and it’s not far from the town centre. Could it be a winner?

Was that yet another cheap dig from she who thinks she is anonymous? Mart site for an up market hotel lol. Great views from the foyer, bar, restaurant, lounge, function suite and gym, and that walk to town would last in visitors memories for years to come I’m sure. Top floor rooms may just be ok, that’s a good situation for the future of the project and jobs. I will be pushing forward with our vision very shortly and it will then be up to our Councillors to decide the fate of our plans for the west of Thurso.

crayola
10-Mar-18, 23:21
Don't forget the huge developments at Wick harbour with the redevelopment of the Stevens building and changes to the harbour getting ready for work boats etc. All this to supply the Beatrice Field of wind turbines. Up to 65 jobs in the construction period for the buildings to be completed in 2018. The possible 150 - 200 jobs on work boats as the turbines are constructed . Then up to 90 permanent jobs in the newly refurbished buildings connected to the turbines.

All the projects you mention have taken many years to come to fruition and possibly it is coincidence that they are all happening in a relatively short period of time. Undoubtedly there was big push to transform the fortunes of Wick after many decades of decline. It was very frustrating how long it took to get the schools and then finally once I became Chairman of the Education committee we got to the point where it was possible for many reasons to come forward with plans to renew all the Wick schools. Capital spending on that scale was not just about improving the education facilities but giving a boost to the local economy. The other spends on council offices and the nuclear archive had similar aims for the economy. Unconnected but very welcome was the development of the wind farms at sea.

Additionally we have had big spends going on but not so obvious for the new connection over the Moray Firth plus the new substations in various parts of the county. Added to that Wick harbour has seen the importing of turbines for several wind farms onshore giving some badly needed income for the harbour. Wick harbour continues to develop their plans and we will see more things happening in coming years.

New house building is still happening in Wick at various sites.

The down side has been the closing of the Tax office and run down in health services and CHAT is opposing several changes that may come forward by NHS Highland as that may reduce well paid jobs in the transfer of the balance of care as the health board put it We can do without reductions at the Town and County hospital or more reductions in the Caithness General. We want them to bring more clinics to Caithness General and find away to improve the number of birth in Caithness since so many are now in Raigmore, Inverness. Health plays a big part in the local economy so we want more dealt with locally.Thanks for the information and update Bill.

I’m aware of all the fabulous feats you achieved for Wick during your long service as councillor and chair of education. I understand the schools wouldn’t have been built without your determination and sustained hard graft over a period of many years. Unfortunately Thurso doesn’t have such a winner. :(

Stargazer
22-Mar-18, 19:26
Observed a white Landrover and covered trailer on the old mart site earlier today. Did not see the company name but they were some sort of "geotechnical survey" services company.

cptdodger
31-Mar-18, 20:48
It was in the John O'Groats Journal today the site has been sold, we will seemingly find out what's happening to it in the summer.

crayola
02-Jun-18, 13:00
I’m getting even better at predicting the future. ;)

A THURSO eyesore site may soon be transformed as a major hospitality company sets its sights on building a four-storey hotel on the town’s former mart area.
Whitbread is seeking permission for a new Premier Inn on the waste ground adjacent to Ormlie Road that has lain derelict for many years.

A planning application for a four-storey, 81-bedroom hotel with landscaping and car parking has been submitted to Highland Council. If approved, it would be the most northerly Premier Inn hotel in the UK.

Local Highland councillor Karl Rosie described it as “tremendous news” for Thurso.

The quote is from the Groat: https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Premier-Inn-planned-for-derelict-Thurso-site-31052018.htm

Detailed plans are on the HC website: https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=P8XJ6QIHL1E00&activeTab=summary

Ideal for Thurso and handy for the station. :cool:

Shaggy
02-Jun-18, 14:14
What's the bet that they'll get the planning permission? After all, Thurso needs another hotel or three......

nevergiveup
02-Jun-18, 15:54
Sincerely hope they get planning permission for this.....Its the perfect location for a travel lodge....Will be excellent for many travellers and will encourage plenty to stay in Thurso as not as costly as hotels.....

dozy
02-Jun-18, 20:26
Asda is showing interest in the old Homebase and Woolen mill units in Wick , gives them a quick foot in the county .

Goodfellers
02-Jun-18, 20:34
If Asda come, lets hope they bring a fuel station with them, save me driving down to Tain with countless jerry cans!

her00026
02-Jun-18, 20:37
Asda online are a lot cheaper than Tesco up here but I miss the wee shops and the paper bags!

crayola
08-Jun-18, 00:25
Sincerely hope they get planning permission for this.....Its the perfect location for a travel lodge....Will be excellent for many travellers and will encourage plenty to stay in Thurso as not as costly as hotels.....
Indeedy. And Thurso needs a new hotel. There hasn’t been a new one for at least 50 years! How old is the Park?

orkneycadian
11-Jun-18, 20:40
Could also be a location for Crayola's School of Sorcery, Academy of Alchemy or Institute of Invocation.

Megan Parsec
22-Jun-18, 01:07
It could be a joint venture with Megan's Magic Motel at the Mart. :cool:

It'll all be good for the town. And about time too. :D

orkneycadian
22-Jun-18, 17:42
Wow, is there enough custom for 2 colleges of Jiggery Pokery in Caithness?

Megan Parsec
22-Jun-18, 23:45
The new Premier Inn will bring thousands to Thurso. Not all at once.

mi16
23-Jun-18, 13:40
Not even a fraction of what the A9 brings to the town

Megan Parsec
23-Jun-18, 23:42
Ah yes, but the Premier Inn will provide overnight hospitality to entice the A9 travellers to linger longer in the town and empty their pockets into local shops, restaurants and hostelries instead of passing through it unabated.

orkneycadian
24-Jun-18, 15:12
But, if the Premier Inn and Megans Magic Motel at the Mart are both in Thurso, will not this take away trade from Crayolas College of Conjuring at the Campus (of 'e old Week High School) ?

Megan Parsec
24-Jun-18, 18:18
The Magic Motel and the School of Witchcraft would be a joint venture coexisting with the Premier Inn at the Mart. Each would provide customers for the others. Each would bring in customers for the town's shops, bars and restaurants plus jobs for the town. Ideal or what?

her00026
24-Jun-18, 20:56
I am not sure I used to live here ... I missed so much!

Megan Parsec
24-Jun-18, 23:01
I am not sure I used to live here ... I missed so much!
There has always been magic in Thurso. You wouldn't have seen it if you didn't look for it. Did you look up at the stars when you detrained at Thurso station? Was the Premier Inn written in the stars even then? I don't know because I didn't look either.

aqua
01-Dec-18, 23:58
The Premier Inn proposal has been approved by the Highland Council. Is this the last dance at last?

aqua
02-Feb-19, 00:23
Last I heard, construction is supposed to commence this month. Fingers crossed.

aqua
21-Apr-19, 15:05
Thurso Premier Inn work to start in early summer.

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/thurso-premier-inn-work-to-start-in-early-summer-177017/

I’ll believe it when I see it with my own eyes.

aqua
22-Jun-19, 11:32
Premier plans for Thurso hotel to be announced ‘in very near future’.

“I will not be convinced until I see a digger on the site.”

Quote from Councillor Donnie Mackay as reported in the local newspaper.

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/premier-plans-for-thurso-hotel-to-be-announced-in-very-near-future-179457/

I’m with Donnie on this.

allanrfc
12-Jul-19, 13:55
Digger and dumper truck on site. Work starts Monday����

Bigfoot
22-Jul-19, 07:49
Just wondering......did the diggers start last week ?

Goodfellers
22-Jul-19, 08:21
34706 Image from Jog J

Shaggy
23-Jul-19, 08:19
good to see a local contractor getting used for a change. all too often contractors from way down south are brought in.

bky
04-Sep-19, 18:30
The restaurant at the new Premier Inn will by a Thyme same as Millburn Road Inverness. Hopefully opening 23/10/20

aqua
07-Sep-19, 14:53
I read your opening date as 23/10/19, which I thought was more than a tad optimistic given the current state of the building work! :lol:

Thyme restaurants are ok in my experience.

aqua
10-Nov-19, 13:21
It’s been good to see the building finally rising up out of the ground and starting to take shape during the last week or two.

aqua
17-Nov-19, 00:08
It’s been getting a second storey this week!?

I should take photos next time I pass as it’s hard to believe it’s actually being built at last. :)

little miss breezy breeks
17-Nov-19, 09:14
It's just a shame it's not Asda as that would actually benefit the local people more than cheap lodgings. Our local Councillors made sure Asda wasn't ever going to get permission on this side of the county. Shame on them.

aqua
28-Mar-20, 14:10
Well, it may look as if it’s nearly finished, but goodness knows when it really will be, and when the first guests will arrive.

The Mart saga continues with a totally new chapter ... .