PDA

View Full Version : John Thurso wrote me a letter

alex
17-Jun-09, 00:47
I got a letter today, and if I was a little more naive I might have believed it was personal (being as the signature was blue while the letter was typed in black) but stupidly he bunged a full colour portrait in the top right revealing therfore the collosal waste of money on a colour printer to send me smiley picture that should never have been on yellow tint paper.

Now, I do not know if he's a good MP or a bad one. I don't know which party he belongs to (funny that, being as he sent me a letter, but in no place in the letter did he mention a party affiliation nor in the leaflet that came with it).

But he has promised me that he will think about probably chatting to a bloke about maybe thinking about possibly discussing whether my problems might be worth recording and putting forward for a review exercise among a selected body after careful consideration through the appropriate means. So thats Okay then.

I'll listen to Sailing By now

teenybash
17-Jun-09, 00:56
I got a letter today, and if I was a little more naive I might have believed it was personal (being as the signature was blue while the letter was typed in black) but stupidly he bunged a full colour portrait in the top right revealing therfore the collosal waste of money on a colour printer to send me smiley picture that should never have been on yellow tint paper.

Now, I do not know if he's a good MP or a bad one. I don't know which party he belongs to (funny that, being as he sent me a letter, but in no place in the letter did he mention a party affiliation nor in the leaflet that came with it).

But he has promised me that he will think about probably chatting to a bloke about maybe thinking about possibly discussing whether my problems might be worth recording and putting forward for a review exercise among a selected body after careful consideration through the appropriate means. So thats Okay then.

I'll listen to Sailing By now

After reading all that I think I'll join you in listening to Sailing By............:confused

Gogglebox
17-Jun-09, 08:56
Im not a Lib voter (actually SNP last few elections)but ive always found him very helpful any time ive had dealings with him

I guess the wording of the letter although maybe clear to the person that wrote it might not win a "plain english" award, i guess he doesnt type them though, be funnier if MPs did have to type them themselves, bet they'd be briefer, just a plain Yes or NO!

From previous experience I would think he will exhaust all the appropriate avenues to resolve your issue, he's a good constituency MP

badger
17-Jun-09, 10:00
He is a very good MP, always responds to correspondence and follows matters up if necessary. Quite the hardest working MP I've ever come across (and I've seen a few in various places).

You're obviously not quoting his letter exactly so it's hard to comment on that and it seems a bit petty to criticise the use of colour since all MPs/MSPs send out printed literature in full colour from time to time. So what's your problem? If he's giving you a chance to air your views maybe you should take advantage of the offer instead of complaining about it.

Kodiak
17-Jun-09, 12:43
If you ever receive a letter from John Thurso you will recognise it. He always uses the same Stationary with the same Letterhead. If it does not have the correct letterhead then it more than likely is not from him, but it is possible someone from his office sent it . Here is what the letterhead looks like :-

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hgschz.jpg

John Thurso is an excellent MP and if you write to him you will always get a reply, at least I have as this is how I know what letterhead he uses.

Every letter I have had from him has been with this letterhead.

alex
17-Jun-09, 13:57
I think perhaps I should clarify my earlier post. My surprise was initially to have received a welcome letter from my MP to the constituency which I felt was a good thing, albeit in the form of a standard letter.

Also I had no objection to the full colour informational leaflet outlining his profile and work, I just thought it odd in these new times of political austerity that the letter itself need to be printed in colour.

The other odd thing was that at no point in the letter or leaflet was there a mention of the Liberal Democratic Party. I don't know if he is deliberately tying his loyalties to constituency over party, again probably no bad thing but nothing about his party? Not even in the tiny print on who paid for and printed the mailing.

So I am not complaining just commenting on something I thought strange...

Kodiak
17-Jun-09, 14:23
So in actual Fact this was not a letter. It was just a standard Leaflet welcoming you to the constituency, laid out like a letter.

Since it was not a manifesto and a only Welcoming Leaflet from John Thurso MP, there was no need to say what party he represented as it was not from them, it was solely from John Thurso.

OK, he did not send it himself and it more than likely was sent by a member of his staff, but the main thing is, that it was from him and not his political party.

Also since he gets so many of these printed, you will find that the cost between Colour and no Colour would be very little difference, or even none at all.

If you think he is wasting money then just click on the link below and you will see exactly what his expence claims are :-

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/john_thurso/caithness%2C_sutherland_and_easter_ross#expenses

golach
17-Jun-09, 14:27
I had a letter from the MP from my area Edinburgh & North Leith. All his letter head shows is,
Mark Lazarowvicz MP
Member of Parliament for Edinburgh and North Leith.

And written in House of Parliament letterheaded paper with his photo top right, Nowhere does it mention what party he stands for why should it? He is the elected MP for my district regardless of which party he stands for.

canuck
17-Jun-09, 15:07
There must be a stock of standard issue paper for MPs. I have a personal invitation from my MP to attend a gathering to hear a Keynote Speaker on a subject I might be interested in professionally. (I am interested, but I cannot attend.) The paper is pale yellow with the green symbol (which Kodiak has shown in his post) in the upper left hand corner.

poppett
17-Jun-09, 17:27
John Thurso is an excellent, dedicated MP and his wife Marion is an equally dedicated local councillor. Between them they have helped resolve many issues over the years, and if they can not help directly they can advise who to approach who can help.

I stopped worrying about the "party" in politics a long time ago, and at least with John Thurso you know he will do his best to right a wrong.

Loafer
17-Jun-09, 21:30
I have had a reason or two to contact our MP over the last few years and have found him absolutely first class. He has sorted out the problems I have had in double quick time. In fact, just a complaining letter to anyone copied to your MP works miracles, believe me! I don't know if his secretary Maggie is still with him (she was also Bob Maclennan's secretary), she in her own right has sorted out a couple of problems without even bothering with John or Bob. One scary lady!

The Loafer

balto
17-Jun-09, 21:37
i recieved a letter from lord thurso the other day, as we have recently moved and he was just introducing himself to us, even though we only moved one street lol.

as for Robert maclennan, he came into the shop the otehr week, havent seen him for ages.

poppett
18-Jun-09, 16:06
Maggie is still at Westminster beavering away behind the scenes. She is truly a force to be reckoned with, and has a very good understanding of life in the real world, so to speak. I love a lady with "attitude".

Rheghead
18-Jun-09, 19:02
Maggie is still at Westminster beavering away behind the scenes. She is truly a force to be reckoned with, and has a very good understanding of life in the real world, so to speak. I love a lady with "attitude".

Yep, her biggest fan is David Cameron, no doubt she'll visit him when he gets to number 10 like she did with Blair et al.:roll::lol:

alex
21-Jun-09, 01:25
Yep, her biggest fan is David Cameron, no doubt she'll visit him when he gets to number 10 like she did with Blair et al.:roll::lol:

Were? Are? you this http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3152499482908007945&ei=k3k9SvDAFISG-QaGit2zCg&q=thurso+rheghead&hl=en

Only a couple of years ago....

Fran
21-Jun-09, 01:58
John Thurso is an excellent mp and does what he says he will. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have a renal unit in the hospital in wick, and he is still helping us with trying to get it expanded.

Tom Cornwall
22-Jun-09, 22:10
The other odd thing was that at no point in the letter or leaflet was there a mention of the Liberal Democratic Party. I don't know if he is deliberately tying his loyalties to constituency over party, again probably no bad thing but nothing about his party? Not even in the tiny print on who paid for and printed the mailing.
that's what the LibDems do..they wait to see what way you're thinking and then agree with
you...then the go to someone else and agree in the opposite direction..they're all things to all men..and you'll never find LibDems in different parts of the country agreeing with each other..they'll never get a majority of people voting for them, which is why they're begging for proportional representation...