PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits

Sans Peur
04-Jun-09, 09:33
Rabbits are eating all of my plants and I have just planted them yesterday. Is there anything I can do to scare they away. Can anyone help.

S&LHEN
04-Jun-09, 10:51
Best thing you can do in the meantime is put chicken mesh round them and that will deter them for a while till the plants grow stronger x

chaz
04-Jun-09, 19:26
Iv got garden net over everything,we have hundreds of rabbits,lost a lot last year:(

Stefan
04-Jun-09, 19:59
pm user shazzy

Her husband might be able to pop round with his dog and help to get rid off them. It means they get killed and eaten though. Some people don't like the idea of that.

Kevin Milkins
04-Jun-09, 23:56
I enjoy my meat and two veg and rabbits are a tasty and healthy dish.

It's all part of the fun of grow your own and it is a constant battle of wits trying to stop cats pooing, slugs and rabbits munching, and the weather spoiling your crops, but it is worth the effort.

Tilly Teckel
05-Jun-09, 00:08
Hi,

My other half David and I are moving up to Lybster area soon and have some very efficient rabbit removers - dogs and ferrets! Where we live now, David provides a pest control service for local farmers/smallholders (alongside his gardening business) and he'd love to be able to continue after we move up. PM me if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

shazzy
05-Jun-09, 09:40
my oh will sort the problem out for you :lol:

Sans Peur
05-Jun-09, 20:08
I do have ferrets and nets but just trying to find the holes. It was just to get some ideas to get them to stop eating my plants.

Thanks

pagetager
09-Jun-09, 15:11
All you need to do is put up wire netting around your whole garden, 3' high will be ample. This will last for many years. It is not true that rabbits will dig under the netting, they are just not inteligent enough to work that out. But if you do not make sure that the netting is buried a few inches below the soil, then it will only take one rabbit to find a weekness, and come through. The only expence will be the cost of the netting and staples, it can be fixed to your original fence posts, and if you cannot do the work yourself, then add the cost of someone to put the netting up.
This avoides the unnescersary culling of innocent animals.
I did this three years ago, around 2.5 acres, and I have had no rabbits on my land since. ;)
pagetager.

pagetager
09-Jun-09, 15:24
All you need to do is put up wire netting with small holes, around your entire garden, the cost will be the netting, staples, and it can be fixed to your existing fence posts, plus if you cannot put the fencing up yourself, add the cost of someone to do it for you. If the fencing is burried slightly, you will become rabbit free for many years. make sure no rabbits are living in your garden before you fence it off. It is not true that rabbits will dig under the netting, they are just not that inteligent. they are oportunists, and will find a weekness if there is one.;)

pagetager

Ashes
12-Jun-09, 12:05
Iv'e got an electric rabbit fence to keep
the blighters out. It works very well!