PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Device

dortmunder
01-Jun-09, 14:45
Hi all. Since installing Windows7 64bit, I have an 'unknown device' (see pic). I've not installed any new hardware except 4GB RAM but that's been recognised by Windows already. Any way I can find out about this device so's to get rid of the warning triangle?

Many thanks.

blueivy
01-Jun-09, 15:09
Hi all. Since installing Windows7 64bit, I have an 'unknown device' (see pic). I've not installed any new hardware except 4GB RAM but that's been recognised by Windows already. Any way I can find out about this device so's to get rid of the warning triangle?

Many thanks.

If you go into Start->Control Panel->Device Manager and double-click the device and then go to the Details Tab, select the Hardware Ids from the dropdown list and you will see a line similar to PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_107C&......

Do a Google for the VEN_....&DEV.... bit (up to the &) and you should get more info about it. You can then start to look for drivers etc.

dortmunder
01-Jun-09, 15:39
Thanks Paul. No joy though - the 'value' under 'Hardware Ids' is just 'USB\UNKNOWN'.

Update: the rogue device warning has just upped and gone. Oh well...

blueivy
02-Jun-09, 10:47
Thanks Paul. No joy though - the 'value' under 'Hardware Ids' is just 'USB\UNKNOWN'.

Update: the rogue device warning has just upped and gone. Oh well...

I've had this once before on a server. HP had to release a null device driver (basically an empty device driver) to make it go away. It was some conflict between Windows and the server hardware.

I would have said that maybe this was it, but if it's way now .... no need to worry :-)