PDA

View Full Version : Security

Kevin Milkins
28-May-09, 10:43
Whats the recomended security just now?

I am with BT Broadband and it was a deal that included free Norton security that seemed to work Ok for the year or so that I had it.

BT have now switched to McAfee and it seems to have slowed my laptop down and always seems to be doing somthing in the background:mad:.

I have thought about AVG, is there any other recomendations out there?

octane
28-May-09, 13:26
well do you want free or do you not mind paying for it..

if free then AVAST first or AVG

if paying then NOD32 or Kaspersky

TBH
28-May-09, 13:42
Whats the recomended security just now?

I am with BT Broadband and it was a deal that included free Norton security that seemed to work Ok for the year or so that I had it.

BT have now switched to McAfee and it seems to have slowed my laptop down and always seems to be doing somthing in the background:mad:.

I have thought about AVG, is there any other recomendations out there?For £43.96 you get two years protection with nod32 antivirus which is purported to be the best on the market for home usage.

blueivy
28-May-09, 13:49
Try VIPRE (http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/). If you decide to buy it let me know as I have a few free licences.

I switched from using ESET for a good few years over to VIPRE as it's faster, uses less resources, find more malware and is more user friendly than ESET. The big clincher for me is that their support is excellent (unlike ESET's) and they listen to feedback about their product (unlike ESET).

As a once ESET advocate it was a difficult switch.

wifie
28-May-09, 15:20
LOL Blue Ivy - so when my ESET comes to an end you will sell me something else then?!!! [lol]

blueivy
28-May-09, 15:35
LOL Blue Ivy - so when my ESET comes to an end you will sell me something else then?!!! [lol]

I'm not sure how to take that to be honest. But I'll try and explain.

VIPRE is about a year and a bit old. I used it's big brother (or little brother whichever way you look at it) CounterSpy for about two years along with ESET AV and they worked well. Just before I switched I had a few problems with ESET AV and in particular their support (which I'll come to in a minute) and decided to try VIPRE (which is effectively the same as CounterSpy but with antivirus as well). It worked well, the problems I had went away and I noticed it was faster and easier on resources. The resources issue isn't a big deal for me as I have pretty beefy machines but they matter to my clients who don't.

My main problem with ESET went way back but I just worked around them as there was simply no alternative.

Their support has been a bit hit and miss but lately it was just poor. First line didn't have a clue and they wer emore interested in what was easier for them than what was easier for you.

The management tools (which you get with the Business edition so you won't see them in the Home edition) are dreadful and I had hoped that wehn v4 was released they would release a new version - they didn't and I just gave up. Everytime I changed something in the management console it broke three or four other things and I just got fed up with it.

The straw that broke the camels back was upgrading to v4 which had the same problems that v3 had - there were a couple which escape me but the main one was the Outlook plugin which threw up a popup box for every message you selected at one time over it's limit (which seemed to be random). Their support denied it and I just had had enough.

So the things that caused me to switch don't really affect you as an ESET user (other than if you have had cause to contact their support and as I said, it's hit and miss so maybe you got a hit). VIPRE Enterprise (the business version) is setup, works and I rarely have any cause to touch it. If I do it's a few tick boxes and off it goes. Nothing else breaks. Support is also excellent whcih is important when you support many clients who need issues resolved quickly.

Things move on and I am always reading and watching new products coming out. I believe VIPRE is better than ESET AV but as I've always said, you choose what works for you. VIPRE works for me and foir my clients. If ESET works for you, keep going with it. You won't see all the problems I had with it. I have never tried to sell anybody anything that they didn't want or need, it's not how I work.

ESET AV is an fantastic product but I just hope they fix the interface, the dreadful management tools and also fix their wonky support. I still and will continue to resell ESET AV and also VIPRE and Outpost Firewall Pro as I believe in all three of them in doing their primary job - protecting your system. If I didn't, I wouldn't sell them.

Sorry that's a bit long!

wifie
28-May-09, 15:42
Oh mate sorry! I did not mean anything by it! Just you sold me my ESET and it has been great from my point of view - just when you said you had switched since a good few years I was surprised!
Disclaimer:- I am well chuffed wi the service I received from Blue Ivy and have no hesitation in recommending him!!! :D

(Is that better? ;))

blueivy
28-May-09, 15:48
Oh mate sorry! I did not mean anything by it! Just you sold me my ESET and it has been great from my point of view - just when you said you had switched since a good few years I was surprised!
Disclaimer:- I am well chuffed wi the service I received from Blue Ivy and have no hesitation in recommending him!!! :D

(Is that better? ;))

You're right, I did say a good few years. That's not true and I can only assume I was confused with CounterSpy (as I've been using that for a good few years and VIPRE is the big brother).

My VIPRE licence started a few months ago. I only started switching clients at the start of last month and have done three so far - two from ESET AV and one from Symantec Endpoint.

I think ESET AV v4 only came out in Jan / Feb from memory?

I've had a rough ride in here in the past so sometimes I go on the defensive a tad early :-) Apologies.

wifie
28-May-09, 16:02
No need to apologise - I just saw the thread and was gonna jump in and say ESET was great and then I read yer post! I obviously don't use it to any great depth or with any great skill but recently something happened and I think it saved my pc so I am a happy bunny wi it! :)

Kevin Milkins
28-May-09, 17:13
Well having read all of the above I have jumped in feet first with Blue Ivy as he has helped out with good advice in the past and he sounds like he knows what he talking about.

I have downloaded Viper and got shot of McAfee ( almost typed McTaffy as that is what I am known as down in Wales now, lol) and it already seems as if I am using a new machine and my speeds have increased dramaticly.

Thanks once again Blue Ivy and to all that offered advice.