PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry problem

Hoida
26-May-09, 21:59
:~(Last year had a problem with my strawberry plants they were all leaves and very little fruit. Have bought new plants this year and have them growing in pots in greenhouse. Any advice on why all leaves and so little fruit

brandy
27-May-09, 09:56
mine had very little fruit last year.. but i just assumed it was because they were young plants and it wouldnt be until this year that they actually started producing properly.
their are loads of flowers this year and buds strting.. must get the nets before the birds get them!

SunnyChick
27-May-09, 14:55
My grandad puts his strawbs in hanging baskets in the greenhouse, and puts staw under where the fruit should grow. They are usually lovely.

How about using some plant food?

domino
27-May-09, 19:44
I may be wrong but last year plants did not do well . i see a big difference this year. May be the global warming thingie!!

skinnydog
27-May-09, 20:52
I am trying strawberries for the first time this year. There are plenty flowers on the plants, when would you recommend putting net over them so the birds don't do damage? Now or only when the fruit is starting to form?

Rheghead
28-May-09, 13:39
:~(Last year had a problem with my strawberry plants they were all leaves and very little fruit. Have bought new plants this year and have them growing in pots in greenhouse. Any advice on why all leaves and so little fruit

Counter intuitively, you need to pull out the plants that are older than say 4 years and replant with new runners as the older plants gradually become poor at producing strawberries. If you do this every year for a quarter of your total bed then you will have a constant source of strawberries. The best producers are the 2 year old plants.